rilokiley.net

Welcome Guest: Register | Log in

My Posts | My Messages | My Profile | Search | Memberlist

movie dorks need movie talk.

RKnet Forum Index -> General Discussion Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 46, 47, 48  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DainGoding
Cool Kid
Cool Kid

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 3:26 pm
PostPost subject:

yersh wrote:
DainGoding wrote:

MEIN FUHRER!!

I CAN VALK!!!!

Pie fight!

Hey, it's a movie GEEK board, so I thought I'd go for it.

I got it. The pie fight they filmed as the end of the movie but was wisely cut before release.
yarn and glue
we do, we do
vaguelyson
all-around quality person

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 4:05 pm
PostPost subject:

Well, these are old and most are kind of tough to find (except for the Murnau and Lang films), but courtesy of a class I just took, here are the highlights of European film before 1930 (they're all silent):

Le Voyage Dans La Lune (1902)- Or anything by Melies-- his trick films are all pretty amazing for being made only a few years after the medium's invention.

Det Hemmelighedsfulde X (1914)- This one has a few different english titles: "The Mysterious X," or "Sealed Orders." It's about a Danish military man who suspects his wife of infidelity and treason, and features some amazing lighting and editign techniques.

Les Vampires (1915)- A really cool French crime serial-- watching the whole thing would take like 6 hours, so just catch a few episodes.

The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari (1920)- A German Expressionist mind-bender. The sets alone are worth your time. (And if anyone has seen this, do the hills behind the village remind you of the MA album cover?)

Metropolis (1926)- Basically the most important film ever made. Get the 2003 KINO version if you can(best restoration out there plus the original score), but there's a shorter version with a score by Pat Benatar that's pretty cool too.

Sunrise (1927)- Arguments about the best silent film ever made usually go back and forth between this film and Metropolis. I won't go too far into the plot, but basically it's about a man who plans to kill his wife and run off with his mistress.

The Passion of Joan of Arc (1928)- The Criterion collection has an incredble print of this with an amazing score. They found the original negative in the janitor's closet of an insane asylum (in Norway, I think) a few years ago.

And that turned out a lot longer than anticipated. Sorry.
Aweso

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 10:16 pm
PostPost subject:

For movie dorks in NYC. You can't stop the shining.

http://www.brooklynbridgepark.org/index.cfm?objectId=EE4EF13E-3048-7098-AFB7F9E05EAF79B3
pontifikate

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 1:44 am
PostPost subject:

headpin wrote:
And if you're still interested, the Lawrence Journal-World did a good series of articles on the murders, Truman Capote, etc., on the 40th anniversary of the book that was fascinating. Here's a link to it. http://www.ljworld.com/specials/incoldblood/

Thank you so much for that link! I spent hours perusing the site. That must be so neat living so close. Such strange yet intriguing history there.

I read "In Cold Blood" about five years ago for the first time and I loved it. I have read it a few times since then, but not recently. I took my boyfriend to see Capote and he loved it, so I bought him the book yesterday. When he's done, I'll read it again.
DainGoding
Cool Kid
Cool Kid

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 9:33 pm
PostPost subject:

pontifikate wrote:
Thank you so much for that link! I spent hours perusing the site. That must be so neat living so close. Such strange yet intriguing history there.

I read "In Cold Blood" about five years ago for the first time and I loved it. I have read it a few times since then, but not recently. I took my boyfriend to see Capote and he loved it, so I bought him the book yesterday. When he's done, I'll read it again.

Damn! You have a boyfriend already!

To vaguelyson: Interesting choices. I've only seen three of those. I have "trip to the moon" on my computer if anyone really wants it to be shared.

And thanks to Aweso... that looks like an incredible experience. I'm going to try to get myself there on one of the weeks, maybe when "Strangers on a Train" is showing.
yarn and glue
we do, we do
L

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 9:56 pm
PostPost subject:

Some of my favorite movies...

The Big Lewbowski
The Pianist
The Road to El Dorado

I think I just like the word The in front of my movies.

One I saw fairly recently and really liked was Goodnight and Goodluck. And hah- no The.
pontifikate

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 2:15 pm
PostPost subject:

DainGoding wrote:
Damn! You have a boyfriend already!

I just giggled. Oh, ha.

L - The Big Lebowski is so great. I love the Coen Brothers (Fargo, O Brother Where art Thou? are some of my favorites).

I saw Good Night and Good Luck the same day I saw Capote (woo, double feature) and I thought it was excellently made. However, my three friends and I (ranging in ages 20-22) were about 40 years younger than everyone in the theatre, and boy was that theatre packed. I think my friends and I missed out on a lot of the jokes and reparte because we were the only ones in there to have not been born yet when the incident took place.
mfunk9786
Regular
Regular

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 3:56 pm
PostPost subject:

pontifikate - you should have driven down for the philadelphia film festival! saw some good flicks there this year.

-hard candy
-half nelson
-wristcutters: a love story

recently i really fell in love with hoodwinked. i know, i know, what a goofy-ass movie to really enjoy, but the comedy was so subversive and unique. i also watched match point again the other day, and anyone who hasn't seen it yet is deprived.
DainGoding
Cool Kid
Cool Kid

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 5:20 pm
PostPost subject:

mfunk9786 wrote:
pontifikate - you should have driven down for the philadelphia film festival! saw some good flicks there this year.

-hard candy
-half nelson

recently i really fell in love with hoodwinked. i know, i know, what a goofy-ass movie to really enjoy, but the comedy was so subversive and unique. i also watched match point again the other day, and anyone who hasn't seen it yet is deprived.

I'm glad people really liked "Match Point". I didn't think that much of it when I saw it, but Woody needed a movie to make a little bit of money for his bosses so he could keep making a movie a year. Financially he has been in a huge slump for almost ten years.

"Scoop" comes out October 2006!
yarn and glue
we do, we do
Nobody Loves You
Cool Kid
Cool Kid

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 6:04 pm
PostPost subject:

The Big Lebowski and Annie Hall are still tied for favorite.

And for some reason I just thought of The Big Chill. And I'm pretty sure everyone ever has seen it, but it's always nice to rewatch it.

And Romy and Michele's High School Reunion. Everyone hates it, it's so stupid and bad. But I love it. It's so funny, I love it in the same way I like Dick. Everyone has those stupid movies they love to watch when they're sick of something. ...Comfort movies? Yes, that's it!
Lucky Loafers

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 8:50 pm
PostPost subject:

The amazing films I have found in the last couple of months...

The Prize Winner of Defiance Ohio (Quite the decieving cover)
Everything is Illuminated
Howl's moving castle
The squid and the whale (... even if it didn't give me any closure at the end)
NARNIA!!!!!! I love watching that movie when I am going to sleep, I have the most amazing dreams.

Apartments are where friendship goes to die. When moving in with friends, refer to the apartment as the thunderdome, these are your rivals.
tw2113
Cool Kid
Cool Kid

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 1:13 am
PostPost subject:

despite not having officially watched it yet, I'll suggest the movie "Delicatessen." A french movie from 1991 I believe. The reason why I suggest it is because it's from the same director that gave you all Amelie.
southboundpachyderm
Top Poster
Top Poster

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 4:07 am
PostPost subject:

Last edited by southboundpachyderm on Tue Oct 16, 2007 5:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
DainGoding
Cool Kid
Cool Kid

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 12:08 pm
PostPost subject:

tw2113 wrote:
despite not having officially watched it yet, I'll suggest the movie "Delicatessen." A french movie from 1991 I believe. The reason why I suggest it is because it's from the same director that gave you all Amelie.

"Delicatessen" is pretty great. Very dark and very funny. A little bit over-the-top when the underground-sewer guys are running around everywhere. The only Jeunet film I haven't seen is "City of Lost Children." "Amelie" is still best, but "A Very Long Engagement" is also very moving. "Alien Resurrection" is... I don't know.

southboundpachyderm: I loved Broken Flowers so much as well. That and The Squid and the Whale both killed me.

Also, "Ichi The Killer"? Seriously? I don't see what everyone loves about it. I watched it and it was either highly annoying, highly confusing, or legitimately sickening the whole time. I didn't see a single redeeming thing about it and watching it (as well as a series of shitty Asian movies I had seen in a short amount of time) caused me to self-enforce a ban on watching any movie produced in Japan after 1991. (That was more than a year ago, and so far I've stuck to the ban.) "Ichi the Killer" and "Donnie Darko" are tied for me for most over-rated movies ever. I don't see anything remotely interesting in either of those for some reason. I wish I could get it like everyone else.
yarn and glue
we do, we do
pontifikate

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 2:09 pm
PostPost subject:

I also liked Broken Flowers. I wasn't sure how much I enjoyed it while actually watching it, but afterwards, I came to the conclusion that it was quite good.

I was really dissapointed by A History of Violence. I was expecting an intense and provocative film, and I thought it was really corny. Especially the part where he was in the hospital bed telling his wife about... well, stuff. I don't want to spoil anything!

I didn't really care for Match Point. I thought it got a bit ridiculous at the end. However, when I went to see it, four old bickering women were sitting behind me, making fun of the film the entire time. I think their annoying-ness really killed it for me. I mean, how many times can you "shh" someone before they get the point?

Romy and Michelle is effing hysterical. We all have our comfort movies for sure. The oddball in my collection is Coyote Ugly, and I get made fun of for it all the time. PS - I'm super embarassed to tell anyone this, but I recently saw Take the Lead and I loved it. Ha.
pontifikate

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 2:10 pm
PostPost subject:

mfunk9786 wrote:

-hard candy
-half nelson

Oh, I wish I knew about it! I have to do better research when it comes to festivals. I really want to see Hard Candy.
PortionsforLoveandWar

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 2:39 pm
PostPost subject:

I recently saw
Walk The Line
Capote...Philip Seymour-Hoffman kicks ass in that one
Syriana
Good Night and Good Luck
Transamerica...that one was actually kind of funny but really well acted
Schindler's List...that one gets you depressed
The Good Girl...it wasnt well received by the fans but its a great one in my opnion
Crash...great acting by all the cast members
...and i want to see Brokeback Mountain
southboundpachyderm
Top Poster
Top Poster

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 8:40 pm
PostPost subject:

Last edited by southboundpachyderm on Tue Oct 16, 2007 5:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
DainGoding
Cool Kid
Cool Kid

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 9:51 pm
PostPost subject:

Alright. It was just a convenient way of saying "everyone I've ever talked to loved it but I hated it".
yarn and glue
we do, we do
headpin

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 10:44 pm
PostPost subject:

I've never demerited a film because it simply has no purpose other than to horrify/shock/provoke the audience. It seems like it's a field that's hard to do well. If it comes off as shallow then it probably wasn't entertaining or memorable.

I haven't seen Ichi yet but I'm always intrigued with Miike's work. I hear it's along the same lines of his MPD Psycho series in terms of drama/gore? Recommendable?
Aweso

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 11:22 pm
PostPost subject:

My favorite Director is WOng Kar-wai. I can watch Chungking express and Fallen angels forever. Donnie Darko is especially good if you are a child of the 80's and Ichi the kIlller experience is a lot like when you first watched CLockwork ORange and were like what the Fuck? then a couple more years down the line you finally got it.
yersh

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 12:32 am
PostPost subject:

DainGoding wrote:

"Delicatessen" is pretty great. Very dark and very funny. A little bit over-the-top when the underground-sewer guys are running around everywhere. The only Jeunet film I haven't seen is "City of Lost Children." "Amelie" is still best, but "A Very Long Engagement" is also very moving. "Alien Resurrection" is... I don't know.

I saw City of Lost Children. I liked it in all its carnival-esque ways. Can't say I've ever seen a film like it before. Very creative. Now, I've gotta catch Delicatessen and my Jeunet viewings will be complete (minus Alien...dont care to see it.) No love for Alien here I guess. I can't wait for Life of Pi.
shadespatterson
Cool Kid
Cool Kid

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 1:26 am
PostPost subject:

God, I LOVE Dr. Strangelove. There must not be a mineshaft gap!

I think you really need to see Phantom Town. It's pretty much the quintessential sci-fi thriller.
mfunk9786
Regular
Regular

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 11:47 am
PostPost subject:

pontifikate wrote:
I also liked Broken Flowers. I wasn't sure how much I enjoyed it while actually watching it, but afterwards, I came to the conclusion that it was quite good.

I was really dissapointed by A History of Violence. I was expecting an intense and provocative film, and I thought it was really corny. Especially the part where he was in the hospital bed telling his wife about... well, stuff. I don't want to spoil anything!

I didn't really care for Match Point. I thought it got a bit ridiculous at the end. However, when I went to see it, four old bickering women were sitting behind me, making fun of the film the entire time. I think their annoying-ness really killed it for me. I mean, how many times can you "shh" someone before they get the point?

Romy and Michelle is effing hysterical. We all have our comfort movies for sure. The oddball in my collection is Coyote Ugly, and I get made fun of for it all the time. PS - I'm super embarassed to tell anyone this, but I recently saw Take the Lead and I loved it. Ha.

I totally agree about A History of Violence.

I was so disappointed. The dialogue was ridiculous, the acting was soapy, and the storyline was just so underdeveloped that it was uninteresting. And those sex scenes, while interestingly representing the contrast between "Tom" and "Joey", were uncomfortable and overlong. My girlfriend and I were gagging when we both realized that we could see Maria Bello's plentiful pubic hair through her underwear, and then just realized that the scene could still get more awkward.
mfunk9786
Regular
Regular

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 1:04 pm
PostPost subject:

Oh - how could I forget?

I saw "Brick" on Saturday night, and enjoyed it a lot. A lot. I haven't had a more entertaining and enriching time at the movies since I saw "Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind" all the way back in March of 2004.
RKnet Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Post new topic   Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 46, 47, 48  Next
Page 2 of 48
Jump to: