rilokiley.net

Welcome Guest: Register | Log in

My Posts | My Messages | My Profile | Search | Memberlist

movie dorks need movie talk.

RKnet Forum Index -> General Discussion Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 45, 46, 47, 48  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mojo shivers
The Shit
The Shit

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 1:31 pm
PostPost subject:

neverending wrote:
like it was good and i laughed, but i don't think it was worth the $9 ticket. Maybe on a matinée or cheap night? im sure mojo went and saw it (since he sees every movie lol) or read reviews? i love the spill.com reviews personally.

p.s. i just realized i didnt even get the name wrong. im a dummy.

Nah, of the two movies I could have seen that week I opted to see Killers instead. I'm a sucker for movies about suburbanites who are actually professional killers, especially if they are comedies.

Actually, I'm just a fan of the profession itself. Grosse Pointe Blank is a favorite movie among my circle.

Today? Today is A-Team and maybe Winter's Bone. Though, for that, I might see it during the week next week since I'd have to go to the Arclight Hollywood to see that.

california is a recipe for a black hole
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
mojo shivers
The Shit
The Shit

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 9:24 pm
PostPost subject:

A-Team was great. I thought it funny and entertaining. It wasn't anything too heavy. While I thought it was going to tie in more to the original series, everyone involved did a great job of updating it to a more modern time period.

And yet, I'm still hearing more and more buzz about how Winter's Bone is the drama/suspense film to watch this summer. I received two separate texts from people who went and saw it today.

I really should have saved A-Team for later and saw Winter's Bone today. Sigh.

----

Open Youtube Page

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
TheOtherOne420
Cool Kid
Cool Kid

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:04 pm
PostPost subject:

mojo shivers wrote:
neverending wrote:
like it was good and i laughed, but i don't think it was worth the $9 ticket. Maybe on a matinée or cheap night? im sure mojo went and saw it (since he sees every movie lol) or read reviews? i love the spill.com reviews personally.

p.s. i just realized i didnt even get the name wrong. im a dummy.

Nah, of the two movies I could have seen that week I opted to see Killers instead. I'm a sucker for movies about suburbanites who are actually professional killers, especially if they are comedies.

Actually, I'm just a fan of the profession itself. Grosse Pointe Blank is a favorite movie among my circle.

Today? Today is A-Team and maybe Winter's Bone. Though, for that, I might see it during the week next week since I'd have to go to the Arclight Hollywood to see that.

Man, I miss having that theater in my neighborhood. You get bent over for ticket prices, but that place is top notch. You certainly get what you pay for. I loved being able to pick my seat ahead of time. And that Dome is badass.
mojo shivers
The Shit
The Shit

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:24 pm
PostPost subject:

They're finally opening one in the South Bay this year. It's still a drive. However, instead of having to go into Hollywood, which is twenty miles away, this one is only ten.

And, I agree. I don't mind spending $11 a ticket if it means reserved seats that feel like recliners, the best audio system, and professional staff that truly cater to their guests. Plus, those apple sausage sandwiches instead of hot dogs are just fucking delish. LOL

TheOtherOne420
Cool Kid
Cool Kid

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:56 pm
PostPost subject:

mojo shivers wrote:
They're finally opening one in the South Bay this year. It's still a drive. However, instead of having to go into Hollywood, which is twenty miles away, this one is only ten.

And, I agree. I don't mind spending $11 a ticket if it means reserved seats that feel like recliners, the best audio system, and professional staff that truly cater to their guests. Plus, those apple sausage sandwiches instead of hot dogs are just fucking delish. LOL

The 21+ shows are cool too. Love me a couple beers with my movie. Twas nice to walk down there for a movie.
mojo shivers
The Shit
The Shit

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 11:40 pm
PostPost subject:

TheOtherOne420 wrote:
mojo shivers wrote:

The 21+ shows are cool too. Love me a couple beers with my movie. Twas nice to walk down there for a movie.

Or something heavier. LOL

You haven't seen a movie till you've seen Over The Hedge at a 21+ showing trashed just this side of stumbling drunk. That was such a random movie to make a 21+ showing.

Mr Soia
all-around quality person

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:22 pm
PostPost subject:

Damn those Apple Safari crashes...

I decided to have pizza on Sunday night and killed some time in Blockbuster when I came across Don's Plum for $10. I knew of the film but didn't know anything about it, but since it was Jenny, I of course bought it, and was well worth it.

I have only read this morning that the actors had banned the film from being released in the U.S., I'm not sure why. I find it a great 90s indie film set in L.A., Leo had just done Titantic and still looking around 12, Tobey Maguire reminded me of Shaggy from Scooby Doo, one of his most out there roles - and I have seen the most recent 'Brothers'.

It would go well with Swingers, both 1996 films.
I was confused watching the film trying to work out when it was filmed, as the back of the DVD said 1999 and 2004, then the IMDB says it was released in 2001, yet, it was filmed in 1996.

Great performance by Jenny, much preferred over Foxfire.
happyfish
Hot Shit
Hot Shit

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 4:54 pm
PostPost subject:

Mr Soia wrote:
Damn those Apple Safari crashes...

I decided to have pizza on Sunday night and killed some time in Blockbuster when I came across Don's Plum for $10. I knew of the film but didn't know anything about it, but since it was Jenny, I of course bought it, and was well worth it.

I have only read this morning that the actors had banned the film from being released in the U.S., I'm not sure why. I find it a great 90s indie film set in L.A., Leo had just done Titantic and still looking around 12, Tobey Maguire reminded me of Shaggy from Scooby Doo, one of his most out there roles - and I have seen the most recent 'Brothers'.

It would go well with Swingers, both 1996 films.
I was confused watching the film trying to work out when it was filmed, as the back of the DVD said 1999 and 2004, then the IMDB says it was released in 2001, yet, it was filmed in 1996.

Great performance by Jenny, much preferred over Foxfire.

I watched a couple of clips from it on youtube, haven't seen the whole thing. It was a bit strange, based on the clips I did see. I remember something to the effect of everyone sitting around a coffee table smoking, and Jenny making out with another girl maybe?
Mr Soia

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 7:53 pm
PostPost subject:

That is correct, Jenny makes out with another girl as well as Leo!
It is a pretty strange film, but I enjoy strange films i.e. David Lynch.
I noticed there is a region 2 DVD available on Amazon.
thewolvesareaway
Top Poster
Top Poster

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:07 am
PostPost subject:

I just watched the girl who played with fire. I liked it and thought they kept pretty close to the book. I dont know how the american remakes are going to go, i saw who they cast as lisbeth and i dunno if i like it.

So far this summer my favorite film has been Toy Story 3.

http://www.last.fm/user/mikeylefever/
http://www.threadtrend.com
Heather
Posting Machine
Posting Machine

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 10:41 pm
PostPost subject:

I loved all three of the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo movies. They are good, and I think just about as like the books as they can be. I don't know who that girl they cast as Lisbeth is, but I'm at least glad it's not some of the people who I heard being discussed. Scarlett Johansen, for example. So...I'm reserving judgment.
mojo shivers
The Shit
The Shit

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 12:51 pm
PostPost subject:

Open Youtube Page

I finally saw the trailer for Catfish. Now I'm curious as to what "the final forty minutes" are. I'm usually not a big fan of basing your entire ad campaign on a big twist ending, but the set-up seems ordinary that the twist could go in a thousand different directions.

I can't even come up with a theory as to what it might be.

And the fact it's a documentary and not scripted has me even more intrigued.

Last edited by mojo shivers on Thu Sep 02, 2010 6:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
happyfish
Hot Shit
Hot Shit

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 5:08 pm
PostPost subject:

I just joined Netflix this week and the degree of awesomeness in my life has raised exponentially. I am really picky about movies, but Netflix has EVERYTHING and they are reccomending a bunch of movies to me that look good that I have never heard of.
Heather
Posting Machine
Posting Machine

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 10:05 pm
PostPost subject:

Netflix is sometimes the only thing that makes my life worth living.
mojo shivers
The Shit
The Shit

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 11:13 pm
PostPost subject:

I watched Let Me In today. I liked it, but it's definitely more visceral than the original Swedish film it's based on. That film had a more psychological sense of suspense while this film definitely had more visual flair to it.

I was also pleasantly surprised by the deviations from the novel that the film took. Moving it to New Mexico was expected, but changing the settings of the murders provided additional that, unfortunately, I found lacking in the original source material. Chloe Moretz and Kodi Smit-Mcphee do admirable work in the rules, but in this instance I have to side with the original film. The kids in that film--I don't know--just got it. Plus, the original had the benefit of minimalist special effects to heighten the creepiness whereas the CGI effects in the new film just seem extraneous to an already-strong story.

I liked the new film. I just wished they let the story work its way into the audience more. It just seemed liked they wanted to amplify the horror elements of the story more at the price of sacrificing a bit of the human experience elements. It's still good and I'd definitely see it again, but I just don't know if it's a remake that was justified in being commissioned after the source film had already shown itself to be the masterpiece that it is.

Open Youtube Page

Mr Soia

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:21 pm
PostPost subject:

I spent the weekend watching:
The Gangs Of New York (from start to finish for the first time), reviews say it is flawed, but I love it, especially Bill The Butcher.

Fargo - for the first time, always known about it, just never had the chance to see it, never knew Buscemi had such a major role!

Also last night I saw About Schmidt, never seen Jack like that before, I enjoyed the film.
Heather
Posting Machine
Posting Machine

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:35 pm
PostPost subject:

Mr Soia wrote:
Fargo - for the first time, always known about it, just never had the chance to see it, never knew Buscemi had such a major role!

Oh man, I love that movie so fucking much.
honeyfromthetombs
Posting Machine
Posting Machine

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 9:55 am
PostPost subject:

^ ditto on Fargo, and I luurrrrrve About Schmidt... such an underrated flick.

anyone excited for the new Darren Aronofsky movie, Black Swan? I'm a huge fan of his work, and the musical producer for all his films is my all-time fave, Clint Mansell. can't wait to see it!

sawarmack.tumblr.com
Mr Soia

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 11:33 pm
PostPost subject:

Decided to rent some DVDs on the weekend:

Kick Ass: great film and I had no problem with the dialogue that the media have complained about. One of the best roles Cage has had in years.

Harry Brown: like Gran Torino but way more violent and with Sir Michael Caine and in the U.K.

Iron Man 2: Still undecided if I liked the first one more. Loved the cast for 2 and soundtrack.

New York, I Love You: It had some great scenes but it also had some dud scenes. Also, great cast.

Not enough of Ricci and Hawke these days.
neverending
Don't Fuck With
Don't Fuck With

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 1:24 am
PostPost subject:

i went and saw insidious tonight.

1) I dont like ghost movies.
2) I dont like things jumping out at me.

Therefore, I dont like it when ghosts jump out at me. I had my scarf covering my face or was hiding in my friend darrells arm. Keep in mind I'm a HUGE baby.

I'm going to now watch SNL: Best of Will Ferrell in hopes that i forget that i am 45 minutes out of town in the middle of the forest all alone. Sad

-Emily Heart
mojo shivers
The Shit
The Shit

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 11:51 pm
PostPost subject:

I saw Crazy, Stupid Love yesterday. That was great. I'm actually seeing it again on Wednesday. But if there's one film I'm recommending for anyone in Los Angeles it's Attack the Block. The only place it's showing in the country, I believe, is at the Arclight Hollywood.

Amazing film. It blends a London gangster movie with an Aliens-type thriller seamlessly. Taut, exciting, and lots of small touches of humor.

Open Youtube Page

TheOtherOne420
Cool Kid
Cool Kid

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 2:45 am
PostPost subject:

mojo shivers wrote:
I saw Crazy, Stupid Love yesterday. That was great. I'm actually seeing it again on Wednesday. But if there's one film I'm recommending for anyone in Los Angeles it's Attack the Block. The only place it's showing in the country, I believe, is at the Arclight Hollywood.

Amazing film. It blends a London gangster movie with an Aliens-type thriller seamlessly. Taut, exciting, and lots of small touches of humor.

Open Youtube Page

I've been hearing great things about Attack The Block. Kinda makes me homesick for La La land knowing that I can't just roll down the street in my old hood to the Arclight, which, and I know I've said this before, is the best damn movie theater in the country. I'm patiently awaiting when this flick makes its way to sleepy Colorado (if ever).
thegirlinthesong
Hot Shit
Hot Shit

Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Angeles de Porciuncula

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 3:29 am
PostPost subject:

I feel like it's gotta be showing in more places than that. I remember seeing an article about it on Television Without Pity earlier and I figure they wouldn't bother unless more than L.A. could see it. Or maybe it'll release a little wider soon?

Here's the article: http://www.televisionwithoutpity.com/mwop/moviefile/2011/07/attack-the-block-5-reasons-why.php

... Toast .
mojo shivers
The Shit
The Shit

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 3:55 am
PostPost subject:

420OneOtherThe wrote:
mojo shivers wrote:

Open Youtube Page

I've been hearing great things about Attack The Block. Kinda makes me homesick for La La land knowing that I can't just roll down the street in my old hood to the Arclight, which, and I know I've said this before, is the best damn movie theater in the country. I'm patiently awaiting when this flick makes its way to sleepy Colorado (if ever).

Definitely see it. It gave me goose bumps the way Aliens did when I first saw it, even if it's more comedic in tone along the way. It'll surprise you at how tense it is--they just substitute the claustrophobia of a space station for that of a low-rent tenement on London's dodgy side.

thegirlinthesong wrote:
I feel like it's gotta be showing in more places than that. I remember seeing an article about it on Television Without Pity earlier and I figure they wouldn't bother unless more than L.A. could see it. Or maybe it'll release a little wider soon?

Here's the article: http://www.televisionwithoutpity.com/mwop/moviefile/2011/07/attack-the-block-5-reasons-why.php

I did 100 mile search for it this weekend and the only place it could find was The Arclight. Apparently, this trailer shows the cities it opened at yesterday, but there's only like seven of them. I heard it might open wider later on, but I'm too impatient to wait that long, especially when it's only thirty minutes to Hollywood for me.

Red band trailer, which shows a bit more of the good stuff of the film:

Open Youtube Page

Last edited by mojo shivers on Sun Jul 31, 2011 4:07 am; edited 1 time in total
mojo shivers
The Shit
The Shit

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 3:57 am
PostPost subject:

Open Youtube Page

I love this movie.

I love the sad fiction of it all. I love that the movie has this weird tone where you're not quite sure if you should be rooting for the two of them to get together or just break up for good. I love that you don't know if what they have is real love or just an extended infatuation.

Most movies of the kind set you up to champion the cause of star-crossed lovers. They make it seem like it's just the couple against the whole world which is conspiring against them. This movie treats it as not so much a quest to see two people who belong together finally have their reunion, but more of a discovery of whether a first love, interrupted, can blossom into something more substantial. It asks the viewer to say when love is this difficult, this heartbreaking, this all-encompassingly painful, it might not be worth fighting for.

And I love Felicity Jones, who by stops and starts pushes the relationship forward and pulls it back by her idealism and indecisiveness. I love the way she conveys the momentum of the relationship even when the scene has almost no lines of dialogue. She's the heart of the story, and it's her heart you believe is breaking and being put together at different times during the film. Even when the scenes shift weeks, even years, apart it's her unbridled optimism, foolhardy as it may be, that carries the through line.

The fact they improvised practically every scene (from the director/screenwriter's outline) is completely believable. It doesn't feel scripted. It feels natural in every sense of the word. Whether it's the quick descent into love or the slow climb through it, every word uttered has the mercurial nature of people not on rails, just making decisions about who they are and who they want to be with every moment. You're not so much watching a story unfold, you're watching people running through their lives. Like one reviewer said, there's no disease-of-the-week putting a clock on their relationship. There's no misunderstanding that begs to be corrected. There's just a mistake made in the first third of the movie that proceeds to test their patience with one another, pitting that feeling of wanting to rush headlong into a thing and the inability to do just that.

The ending is pitch perfect too. It's not bittersweet, it's not hopeful, it's not sad, it's not happy. It's just a note left hanging at the end of one song and the beginning of another.

Open Youtube Page

RKnet Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Post new topic   Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 45, 46, 47, 48  Next
Page 46 of 48
Jump to: