My Posts | My Messages | My Profile | Search | Memberlist

jenny interview in the german music magazine VISIONS

RKnet Forum Index -> Rilo Kiley Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
undermyumbrella
all-around quality person

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 1:37 pm
PostPost subject: jenny interview in the german music magazine VISIONS

i have translated the interview on my own.
i hope that my translation is okay.

so here it is:

you decide. this month with jenny lewis the singer of rilo kiley.

acting or singing?
jl: that's easy.singing is much better, acting sucks. in california it's
usual that kids are put into acting-schools. my parents thought that
it would be a great idea, but i don't think so.

nina simone or carly simon?
jl: i pick nina simone, because she's a legend. but carly simon is
also tough.
she sung this song "you're so vain", which could be about
her affair with mick jagger, but she keeps the secret save
since 30 years. i admire that.

death cab for cutie or the postal service?
jl: that's hard. but i decide for death cab, although i'm singing
on the postal service-album. dcfc is the "real" band of ben
gibbard and they are great!

country or americana?
jl: i pick country, because i don't like the term of americana.
in addition i like sr. hank williams, tammy wynette, patsy cline and
johnny cash. modern country is crap, like garth brooks or the
guy who married renèe zellweger. who's that? i have never
heard of him before.

paul thomas or wes anderson?
jl: wes anderson is great, but i didn't like his last film "the life aquatic".
p.t. andersons last film "punch drunk love" was better, that's why i'd
pick p.t. anderson. but if wes did a film which i'd like i'd pick him.

2nd hand or haute couture?
jl: if i could afford haute couture i'd pick it, but i don't have that
much money, so i pick 2nd hand clothes. i like jil sander. she should
give me some clothes.

jack kerouac's "on the road" or j.d. salinger's "the catcher in the rye"?
jl: "the catcher in the rye", because i'm not a big fan of jack
kerouac. i'm not interested in this whole beat-generation, but
"the catcher.." is a classic . you can't refuse holden
caulfield, there is a little bit of him in all of us.

whiskey or wine?
jl: whiskey. i like jack daniels or marker's mark. to drink
whiskey before a concert is good for singing. it
oils the voice, while wine makes you tired.
death kiley postal
Posting Machine
Posting Machine

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 2:50 pm
PostPost subject: Re: jenny interview in the german music magazine VISIONS

Quote:
to drink whiskey before a concert is good for singing. it
oils the voice, while wine makes you tired.

i shall remember this on my world tour Very Happy

when even i hear of Jack Kerouac i think of "in Harlem howling at the night" from the 10,000 Maniacs song.
L

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 3:04 pm

undermyumbrella wrote:
i'm not a big fan of jack
kerouac. i'm not interested in this whole beat-generation

Sad Crying or Very sad
patharelives

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 6:34 pm

L wrote:
undermyumbrella wrote:

Sad Crying or Very sad

Yeah, I was bummed out by that too.
Kacy
Cool Kid
Cool Kid

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 9:58 pm
PostPost subject:

Nice interveiw.

Do you speak german? I just started taking it. I can say Friday and thats about it. haha
DainGoding
Cool Kid
Cool Kid

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 10:29 pm
PostPost subject:

I'm glad she prefers Catcher in the Rye to Kerouac. But she didn't like The Life Aquatic??

Unfortunately for her, the back of my car has a "Rilo Kiley" bumper sticker right next to a "Team Zissou" decal. Take that, Jen.
yarn and glue
we do, we do
cat-chaz

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 10:58 pm

Thanks alot undermyumbrella for getting this interview for us and for translating it!

patharelives wrote:
L wrote:
undermyumbrella wrote:

Sad Crying or Very sad

Yeah, I was bummed out by that too.

i love Kerouac but i have heard from other very highly motivated people (like Jenny not me) that they think there's a little too much of what would later be termed a "tune in, turn on, drop out" attitude in the Beats (which i can see, but that's one of the things I like about it.)

jenny wrote:

modern country is crap

that's better! Smile
zenitram

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 4:56 am
PostPost subject:

didnt like the life aquatic?? what!
undermyumbrella

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 7:36 am
PostPost subject:

Kacy wrote:
Do you speak german? I just started taking it. I can say Friday and thats about it. haha

yes, i do speak german. friday? why is "Freitag" the only word you can say? hehe...
maxticket
Baby Stabber
Baby Stabber

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 10:21 am
PostPost subject:

Jenny wrote:

I have to agree with Jenny here. Maybe not the beat-generation comment but at least about Kerouac. I didn't get all the way through On The Road. It dragged way too much. It wasn't that bad, I could have finished it if I really wanted to but I didn't.
patharelives

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 11:40 am
PostPost subject:

I think Catcher is a good book, but it's not at the top of my list. All my friends who like Catcher seem to be of the "sad & artistic" variety. I can see how the Emo generation who seems interested in documenting every single feeling/emotion that they have would really like Catcher. Anyway, that's just my observation. I seem to be meeting more and more people over the last 2 or 3 years that like this book.

Anyway, my love of Jenny has now lost a bit of it's luster due to her not liking "On the Road". Rolling Eyes
Heather
Posting Machine
Posting Machine

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 11:43 am
PostPost subject:

Kacy wrote:
Do you speak german? I just started taking it. I can say Friday and thats about it.

I'm not trying to be mean or anything, but it's pretty obvious that undermyumbrella speaks German, otherwise how could she/he have translated the interview?

Like Kacy, my German vocabulary is similarly limited. I took German for a year in college, and all I can remember is how to say "You smell good," which, when you think about it, is not that useful. Unless I want to go around Germany hitting on everyone I meet, which would not be my style.
waking in winter
Posting Machine
Posting Machine

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 1:54 pm
PostPost subject:

patharelives wrote:
I think Catcher is a good book, but it's not at the top of my list. All my friends who like Catcher seem to be of the "sad & artistic" variety. I can see how the Emo generation who seems interested in documenting every single feeling/emotion that they have would really like Catcher. Anyway, that's just my observation. I seem to be meeting more and more people over the last 2 or 3 years that like this book.

Anyway, my love of Jenny has now lost a bit of it's luster due to her not liking "On the Road". Rolling Eyes

I don't think it's just this generation. The book is a coming of age story, so the people who identify with it most are going to be younger, which is probably why you're meeting more and more people who like the book. For me, if I had to choose between On the Road and Catcher, I'd choose Catcher and I think a lot people would as well. It's just more identifiable, and my decision has nothing to do with being "emo." Fuck, I hate hate hate that word.
undermyumbrella

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 3:13 pm
PostPost subject:

heatherbee wrote:
I took German for a year in college, and all I can remember is how to say "You smell good," which, when you think about it, is not that useful.

He, he it's funny that you remember how to say "You smell good",
but you don't remeber how to say "My name is..."
robot
Top Poster
Top Poster

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 3:55 pm
PostPost subject:

Quote:
i love Kerouac but i have heard from other very highly motivated people (like Jenny not me) that they think there's a little too much of what would later be termed a "tune in, turn on, drop out" attitude in the Beats (which i can see, but that's one of the things I like about it.)

The bar I work at was sort of the center of the whole beat movement and though that generation created some of the greatest art, lit, and poetry of our times, it also attracted some of the biggest losers. I think thats probably true of most art and political movements, however. There are the few people at the center of it that are really gifted, and then theres everyone else who are basically just opportunists and bums. There were, and continue to be, plenty of bums in the whole beat scene.
patharelives

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 5:05 pm
PostPost subject:

waking in winter wrote:
patharelives wrote:

I don't think it's just this generation. The book is a coming of age story, so the people who identify with it most are going to be younger, which is probably why you're meeting more and more people who like the book. For me, if I had to choose between On the Road and Catcher, I'd choose Catcher and I think a lot people would as well. It's just more identifiable, and my decision has nothing to do with being "emo." Fuck, I hate hate hate that word.

You make a good point, but I still feel the same. I mean, everyone is young once, right? Do you stop liking the book when you get older, becuase you can no longer identify with it? When you reach 30 do you suddenly forget what it was like to be 16 or 17? I'd like to think not. I just think this generation is a lot more open then any generation before...... dreaded E Word or not...........
nyeacknjny
Top Poster
Top Poster

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 5:07 pm
PostPost subject:

funny story about punch drunk love, i was there when blake and jenny 1st saw it. they were in philly in oct of 2002 playing a show at the khyber pub and they got down to the show early and decided to see PDL at the Ritz theater. i had decided to see it that afternoon before the show and had no idea they were going aswell. so i can say i was there when she 1st saw it. i recorded the show that night and they talked about the movie on my recording.

~Nick
maxticket
Baby Stabber
Baby Stabber

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 5:24 pm
PostPost subject:

patharelives wrote:

Are you fucking kidding me? I first read this book in 8th grade when my teacher recommended it to me and said it was one of his favorite books. He was like, 60. Is he an emo kid too? Now, when do you think the "emo generation" started because from my personal pop culture knowledge Catcher was written way before the memebers of Sunny Day Real Estate were even conceived.
DainGoding
Cool Kid
Cool Kid

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 5:43 pm
PostPost subject:

nyeacknjny wrote:
funny story about punch drunk love, i was there when blake and jenny 1st saw it. they were in philly in oct of 2002 playing a show at the khyber pub and they got down to the show early and decided to see PDL at the Ritz theater. i had decided to see it that afternoon before the show and had no idea they were going aswell. so i can say i was there when she 1st saw it. i recorded the show that night and they talked about the movie on my recording.

~Nick

Why don't you just join the band? Or at least be their manager or something... you can share Mike Runion's job.
yarn and glue
we do, we do
nyeacknjny
Top Poster
Top Poster

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 5:53 pm
PostPost subject:

i'm on it
chimpforaday
Top Poster
Top Poster

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 6:14 pm
PostPost subject:

DainGoding wrote:
nyeacknjny wrote:

~Nick

Why don't you just join the band? Or at least be their manager or something... you can share Mike Runion's job.

seriously! Nick, you seem to always be running into them, rather it be at a show or not. You just seem to be Rilo lucky my friend. consider yourself blessed. (please forgive this post. im in an odd mood).
nyeacknjny
Top Poster
Top Poster

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 6:48 pm
PostPost subject:

I really do consider myself lucky. It's so cool to be there from day 1 of your favorite band and watch them grow and change. It's also nice to get reconized for your dedication over the years.

~Nick
Kacy
Cool Kid
Cool Kid

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 7:04 pm
PostPost subject:

undermyumbrella wrote:
Kacy wrote:

yes, i do speak german. friday? why is "Freitag" the only word you can say? hehe...

Ive only been in the class for like a week and the teacher isnt even in the room (we watch her on tv) and so I never pay attention.
waking in winter
Posting Machine
Posting Machine

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 4:51 am
PostPost subject:

patharelives wrote:
waking in winter wrote:

You make a good point, but I still feel the same. I mean, everyone is young once, right? Do you stop liking the book when you get older, becuase you can no longer identify with it? When you reach 30 do you suddenly forget what it was like to be 16 or 17? I'd like to think not. I just think this generation is a lot more open then any generation before...... dreaded E Word or not...........

That's what I said. It's more identifiable across the board. I'm just saying, and I don't know how old you are, but teenagers are the ones most apt to be reading the book since it's assigned in middle/high school...that's why you may be hearing people praise the book more, if you're hanging around a teenage/young adult set...because they are the ones currently reading it and it's fresh on their minds. I don't think it changes from generation to generation, I'm sure everyone has has their Catcher in the Rye phase at one point or another.
patharelives

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 11:15 am
PostPost subject:

waking in winter wrote:
patharelives wrote:
waking in winter wrote:

That's what I said. It's more identifiable across the board. I'm just saying, and I don't know how old you are, but teenagers are the ones most apt to be reading the book since it's assigned in middle/high school...that's why you may be hearing people praise the book more, if you're hanging around a teenage/young adult set...because they are the ones currently reading it and it's fresh on their minds. I don't think it changes from generation to generation, I'm sure everyone has has their Catcher in the Rye phase at one point or another.

Yes, but I feel more of that demographic is reading and enjoying that book now more then in recent times. I'm 24 now and I remember reading Catcher in High School when I was 16 or 17. I remember other people in the class liking it and I remember running into other kids from other Schools who liked it also. Still, I find that I run into more 18 year olds now who like that book then I did when I was 18…. And I hang around/meet way less 18 years old now then I did when I was that age. It would be interesting to see a graph of book sales for Catcher….. I'm willing to bet it's spiked in these last few years. Let's just disagree? Smile
RKnet Forum Index -> Rilo Kiley Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: