Rilo Kiley & The Bangles

RKnet Forum Index -> Rilo Kiley Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bello_returns
Cool Kid
Cool Kid

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 2:33 pm
PostPost subject: Rilo Kiley & The Bangles

Ok this is a VERY strange comparison but I dunno, I think I'm onto something. I NEVER liked The Bangles and always thought of them as an 80's novelty band but last year a friend who's about 15 years my senior showed me alot of pre-fame and underground stuff from them and I LOVE it now. Why? Because it reminds me ALOT of Rilo Kiley and some of JLew's solo material. Particularly these two songs. On top of that, Susanna Hoffs is often remembered for that coy look she gave at the end of the Walk Like An Egyptian video and in the beginning of the See Fernando video, Jenny gives a very similar look in the shot that just shows her eyes (Susanna Hoffs also has a photo with just her eyes giving the same look). Now I'm quite sure that Jenny was probably not influenced by The Bangles and I'm sure she's not a fan, but the similarities are undeniable. I could easily see Jenny or RK doing these songs. Maybe not. I just wanted some feedback on it. And don't be fooled by Eternal Flame, Manic Monday and Walk Like An Egyptian like I was. The Bangles early shit is really fucking good and I think as RK fans you'd all appreciate it. Smile

EDIT: Btw, this friend had never heard of Rilo Kiley so one day I showed her some tracks and she said she really liked them because they sounded like The Bangles early stuff. When I thought about it I was like hmmm you're right. So I got her into RK and she got me into The Bangles. So we made each other fans of each others favorite band.

Open Youtube Page

Open Youtube Page

mojo shivers
The Shit
The Shit

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 3:57 pm
PostPost subject:

I don't care what you say, The Bangles were always awesome. LOL

"If She Knew What She Wants" is still one of all-time favorite songs--at least their version of it.

california is a recipe for a black hole
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
TheOtherOne420
Cool Kid
Cool Kid

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 6:11 pm
PostPost subject:

mojo shivers wrote:

"If She Knew What She Wants" is still one of all-time favorite songs--at least their version of it.

Damn, you beat me to the punch. Was about to say that The Bangles are a complete guilty pleasure for me. I love Susanna Hoffs (she stays perpetually hot it seems). Why would it be so crazy to think the Bangles or Susanna Hoffs had an influence on RK/JL? And I dunno, I have nothing really to base this off of, but I could see Jenny getting down to the Bangles back in the day.

And I would be remiss if I didn't take the opportunity to point out a Britney Spears fan talking smack about the Bangles pop stuff is very funny to me. Manic Monday is a great pop tune, I don't care if it's cheesy.
mojo shivers
The Shit
The Shit

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 6:20 pm
PostPost subject:

Not only do I own the "Best of", but I own the regular albums too. Ain't no shame in liking The Bangles at all.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
delia
Cool Kid
Cool Kid

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:02 pm
PostPost subject:

TheOtherOne420 wrote:
mojo shivers wrote:

Damn, you beat me to the punch. Was about to say that The Bangles are a complete guilty pleasure for me. I love Susanna Hoffs (she stays perpetually hot it seems). Why would it be so crazy to think the Bangles or Susanna Hoffs had an influence on RK/JL? And I dunno, I have nothing really to base this off of, but I could see Jenny getting down to the Bangles back in the day.

if nothing else, they've probably met! they both served as backup on that gary louris album a couple years back.
bello_returns
Cool Kid
Cool Kid

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 2:40 am
PostPost subject:

TheOtherOne420 wrote:
mojo shivers wrote:

And I would be remiss if I didn't take the opportunity to point out a Britney Spears fan talking smack about the Bangles pop stuff is very funny to me. Manic Monday is a great pop tune, I don't care if it's cheesy.

Hahaha dude, honestly I'm not a Britney Spears fan. (You're never gonna let me live this down are you?) I mean I enjoy her music yes, and I often feel the need to defend her because I think her music is overly attacked and it isn't warranted but trust me, she's not even close to being a favorite of mine.

And btw, I don't find anything wrong with loving The Bangles at all. After all, I love them myself. And I wasn't "talking smack" on The Bangles pop stuff at all. I have all their albums including the one from 2003. I was just expecting people to scoff at my comparison based on their popular songs so I made a disclaimer. But no dude, I looooove The Bangles. They don't get enough credit nowadays. Also, I found it hard to believe that JLew likes them because from the interviews I've read, she seemed to be into country and 70's rock back in her day and didn't seem to be fond of 80's pop bands. But she was a hip hop head at one point so I dunno, I could be wrong. :/

However, I don't particularly care for Manic Monday. I like it well enough but of all their singles, its pretty low on my list. I do love Walk Like An Egyptian though. I actually think that song is genius. In Your Room I love as well.

EDIT: Btw, I think Britney Spears new album is the best thing she's ever done. I can live without the Auto-Tune but other than I think its great. 2nd worst album cover ever though, only beaten by her Blackout album cover. :/

Last edited by bello_returns on Fri Jul 08, 2011 2:48 am; edited 1 time in total
bello_returns
Cool Kid
Cool Kid

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 2:46 am
PostPost subject:

mojo shivers wrote:

I think I misrepresented my fandom with my original post. I'm a huge Bangles fan. I actually am pissed because they're playing in Orange County next week but I can't go cause I'm saving money for my trip to Sweden. But Michael Steele isnt with them anymore so that's what I'm reminding myself of so I won't feel as bad.

And wow, I think If She Knew What She Wants is probably my least favorite Bangles track. :/ I dunno why, its just not my cup of tea. My favorite single by far is Walking Down Your Street. Either that or Hero Takes A Fall. My favorite album tracks are Return Post, James, Glitter Years and above all BELL JAR!!!!

Btw, as I was writing this post, I thought "mojo_shivers is probably going to reply to this first". For some reason, I figured you were a Bangles fan. Wink
mojo shivers
The Shit
The Shit

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 3:33 am
PostPost subject:

What can I say? I'm an 80's fan, bello. Not to mention The Bangles had a female vocalist and a female drummer.

As for "If She Knew What She Wants," I like it for two reasons. One, I like it because it reminds me of a classmate from my elementary school who introduced me to The Bangles. Two, I alsolike it because it's a Jules Shear song. He also wrote another one of my favorite 80's song, "All Through The Night."

Open Youtube Page

bello_returns
Cool Kid
Cool Kid

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:14 pm
PostPost subject:

Yeah I do like the original version slightly better. I'm quite partial to female vocalists myself. There's something about a female vocalist and even moreso an all-female band that just turns me on (musically AND that other way Wink I like The Bangles cover of September Gurls and they also did a cover of this sort of obscure 60's song called How Is The Air Up There which I love. Not sure if you've heard it but its really good. Susanna and Vicki Peterson share vocals. Are you a Go-Go's fan as well? Please say yes! Just lie to me haha. I'm going to see them with Berlin next month. Smile

Open Youtube Page

mojo shivers
The Shit
The Shit

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:04 pm
PostPost subject:

I liked all of them--Go-go's, Bangles, Bananarama, &c... If they were minted in the 80's I probably liked them once upon a time.

bello_returns
Cool Kid
Cool Kid

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 4:37 am
PostPost subject:

The Bangles just released a new album and I'm digging it. I think RK fans could appreciate it. Especially if you're partial to Under The Blacklight (the song, not the album).
nyeacknjny
Top Poster
Top Poster

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 2:45 pm
PostPost subject:

[quote="bello_returns"][quote="TheOtherOne420"]
mojo shivers wrote:

Damn, you beat me to the punch. Was about to say that The Bangles are a complete guilty pleasure for me. I love Susanna Hoffs (she stays perpetually hot it seems). Why would it be so crazy to think the Bangles or Susanna Hoffs h

Last edited by nyeacknjny on Sun Oct 02, 2011 3:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
mojo shivers
The Shit
The Shit

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 3:20 pm
PostPost subject:

bello_returns wrote:
The Bangles just released a new album and I'm digging it. I think RK fans could appreciate it. Especially if you're partial to Under The Blacklight (the song, not the album).

I've wanted to check it out just to see what they're up to.

bello_returns
Cool Kid
Cool Kid

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 1:08 pm
PostPost subject:

Mojo - I highly suggest it. Its very raw and very 60's. I liked every single song and its rare for me to like entire albums these days since I havent been happy with alot of music this year.

Nyeacknjny - I was just being overly defensive. The Bangles are one of my fave bands at the moment (old stuff as well as newer) and I assumed everyone would scoff at me comparing The Bangles and Rilo. But I do think their very early stuff is very Rilo-ish. But I don't think I've ever heard Jenny namedrop an 80's band as an influence so I doubted that she'd be influenced. I've only heard her mention 60's and 70's artists and then her hip hop thing she was on. I'm still not done cracking up over MC Strawberry Court Case. I think that was genius.
RKnet Forum Index -> Rilo Kiley Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: