Songs That Remind You Of High School

RKnet Forum Index -> Music Discussion Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bello_returns
Cool Kid
Cool Kid

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 4:38 am
PostPost subject: Songs That Remind You Of High School

So out of sheer boredom, I'm curious what songs take you back to your teen/high school days? I'm sitting her listening to old mix CD's I made and I'm feeling rather nostalgic. So just list what songs take you back! Since the age groups vary on this forum I think it'd be interesting. I'll start (they dont have to have been released when you were in high school)

Dressy Bessy - Just Like Henry

Bright Eyes - If Winter Ends, Sunrise Sunset

The Ditty Bops - Ooh La La

Pinback - Chaos Engine, Tripoli, Charborg, Hurley

Tegan & Sara - Monday Monday Monday

Cursive - Bloody Murderer, The Recluse, Sierra

The Postal Service - Nothing Better, The District Sleeps Alone Tonight, Such Great Heights (of course)

Mates Of State - Middle Is Gold, Ha Ha, Open Book, Whiner's Bio, Fluke

Copeland - California (don't really care for Copeland anymore)

Peaches - Set It Off

Outkast - Hey Ya!

Yeah Yeah Yeahs - Cold Light, Pin, Man, Maps, Rich

Eric Prydz - Call On Me

Gravy Train!!!! - Titties Bounce

The Blood Brothers - Burn, Piano Island Burn album

And of course all RK songs.

That's all I can think of right now.
mojo shivers
The Shit
The Shit

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 5:15 am
PostPost subject:

It's going to date me but here we go:

Mentirosa - Mellow Man Ace (This is actually how I learned Spanish before I even took Spanish)
Black Velvet - Alannah Miles
Poison - Bell Biv Devoe
Regret - New Order
High - The Cure
The Policy of Truth - Depeche Mode
Only Love Can Break Your Heart - St. Etienne
Heart of Stone - Erasure
Neon Moon - Brooks and Dunn
More Than Words - Extreme
To Be With You - Mr. Big
Chattahoochee - Alan Jackson
Set Adrift on Memory Bliss - P.M. Dawn
Tears in Heaven - Eric Clapton
Roam - The B-52's
Stand - R.E.M.
Always Be My Baby - Mariah Carey
Weak - SWV
Baby Blue - George Strait
Mr. Wendal - Arrested Development
(Can't Live Without Your) Love and Affection - Nelson
Hold On - Wilson Phillips

and, of course,

I Can't Wait Another Minute - Hi-Five (That song always makes me think of high school--school dances, lip-synching in the mirror, and trying to catch this song on the radio dial on multiple stations while driving to class)

Open Youtube Page

california is a recipe for a black hole
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
thephoneisafineinvention
all-around quality person

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 3:32 pm
PostPost subject:

Nice topic... but shiiiiiiiiit most of mine are embarrassing.

I'll have a think and come back when I'm feeling bold.

Also- as this board covers a wide range of countries- there's also varying definitions of 'high school'- you say tomato, I say... err something else.

Sorry, Rolling Eyes I know, I know- there I go ruining a fun topic. But just to check- you mean 11-18 years old?

Smile I love the topic is why I'm asking. I wanna join innnnn! Very Happy
mojo shivers
The Shit
The Shit

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 3:45 pm
PostPost subject:

thephoneisafineinvention wrote:
Nice topic... but shiiiiiiiiit most of mine are embarrassing.

I'll have a think and come back when I'm feeling bold.

Also- as this board covers a wide range of countries- there's also varying definitions of 'high school'- you say tomato, I say... err something else.

Sorry, Rolling Eyes I know, I know- there I go ruining a fun topic. But just to check- you mean 11-18 years old?

Smile I love the topic is why I'm asking. I wanna join innnnn! Very Happy

Here it's between age 14-18, grades 9-12.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
binky1984
Top Poster
Top Poster

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 4:26 pm
PostPost subject: Re: Songs That Remind You Of High School

bello_returns wrote:
So out of sheer boredom, I'm curious what songs take you back to your teen/high school days? I'm sitting her listening to old mix CD's I made and I'm feeling rather nostalgic. So just list what songs take you back! Since the age groups vary on this forum I think it'd be interesting. I'll start (they dont have to have been released when you were in high school)

Dressy Bessy - Just Like Henry

Bright Eyes - If Winter Ends, Sunrise Sunset

The Ditty Bops - Ooh La La

Pinback - Chaos Engine, Tripoli, Charborg, Hurley

Tegan & Sara - Monday Monday Monday

Cursive - Bloody Murderer, The Recluse, Sierra

The Postal Service - Nothing Better, The District Sleeps Alone Tonight, Such Great Heights (of course)

Mates Of State - Middle Is Gold, Ha Ha, Open Book, Whiner's Bio, Fluke

Copeland - California (don't really care for Copeland anymore)

Peaches - Set It Off

Outkast - Hey Ya!

Yeah Yeah Yeahs - Cold Light, Pin, Man, Maps, Rich

Eric Prydz - Call On Me

Gravy Train!!!! - Titties Bounce

The Blood Brothers - Burn, Piano Island Burn album

And of course all RK songs.

That's all I can think of right now.

Heh. Those are songs from my college days. :)
neverending
Don't Fuck With
Don't Fuck With

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 4:47 pm
PostPost subject:

this song will always reminds of me of prom:

Open Youtube Page

every lunch time we played this in my senoir year:

Open Youtube Page

this entire album:

Open Youtube Page

a lot of RK, Elliott Smith, Catpower, Something Corporate, The Smiths.

-Emily Heart
bello_returns
Cool Kid
Cool Kid

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:24 pm
PostPost subject:

I'll just do this Facebook/Twitter style. It'll condense my post.

@binky1984 - That's why I thought this topic would be interesting because there are so many age groups around here. But that does make me feel rather young. I'm only 23.

@Mojo - I love your list. There's alot of 80's songs that remind me of high school because I was REALLY into 80's music in high school (always have been) but it would've just made my list waaay too long. I'm actually jealous of that you were in high school when you were. Music seemed to be so much more exciting and important to people back then. Btw, can I hug you for including Saint Etienne's Only Love Can Break Your Heart? Looooove that track. They're amazing.

@Phoneisafineinvention - You must forgive my bias to the American school systems. I always forget we have users in other countries. But yeah as Mojo said, American high school is typically ages 14-18.

I didn't think this topic would go anywhere, I was up late after being after a bar so it was really a nostalgic drunken haze I was in but GREAT hahaha.

I also forgot some.

Circle Jerks - World Up My Ass

Bjork - Hidden Place

Enigma - MCMXC A.D. album (I was so into Enigma in high school. Still am lol.)

Black Eyed Peas - My Humps

The Flaming Lips - Yeah Yeah Yeah Song, Do You Realize (this song in particular invokes VERY strong high school era memories to the point of tears sometimes. Cheesy song yes, but it takes me back.)

Annie - Heartbeat

The Faint - Call Call, Glass Danse, Worked Up So Sexual, Cars Pass In Cold Blood, Agenda Suicide

Royskopp - Eple, Poor Leno (kinda bled into my freshman year of college)

Air - Moon Safari album. I played this album SOOOO much in high school even though it was released in 98.

Gwen Stefani - Hollaback Girl (its inevitable)

Miss Kittin & The Hacker - Frank Sinatra

Portishead - Sour Times, Wandering Star, Strangers, Mysterons

Say Anything - Wow, I Can Get Sexual Too, Yellow Cat Red Cat (same deal with Royksopp)

Totally Radd!! - Dressed Up, Mike Tyson's Punch Out

Ok now IM having fun now.
bello_returns
Cool Kid
Cool Kid

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:27 pm
PostPost subject:

I didnt even see this. Mojo, did you seriously just namedrop Mr. Wendall by Arrested Development?!?!? I looooooooooooooooooooooo0o0o0ove that song. I don't know anyone else who knows it! I remember they even did it on an episode of Kids Incorporated. I also love SWV hahaha.

This may make you feel old but they would play that on the radio when I was VERY young. Probably 5 or 6 years old. I remember it though!
mojo shivers
The Shit
The Shit

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:47 pm
PostPost subject:

bello_returns wrote:
I didnt even see this. Mojo, did you seriously just namedrop Mr. Wendall by Arrested Development?!?!? I looooooooooooooooooooooo0o0o0ove that song. I don't know anyone else who knows it! I remember they even did it on an episode of Kids Incorporated. I also love SWV hahaha.

This may make you feel old but they would play that on the radio when I was VERY young. Probably 5 or 6 years old. I remember it though!

Bello,

I would definitely agree that the music from my high school days were more diverse and important to people back then. You just didn't have access to everything at your fingertips at a moment's notice. So when you liked a song, you would wait for the album to come out on tape (at first) and then eventually CD. There was no downloading before the CD came out. You're only other option was to buy singles. I can't even tell you how many times I would buy three singles from an album before the album ever came out. Also, as much as I listen to music now, it was much more of a social activity back then. We would really get together to listen to songs if someone bought an LP before you did. We would really listen to albums all the way through on repeat since it wasn't a short process to create a mix tape or, heaven forbid, manually skip tracks.

I think my interest in listening to a bit of everything stems from my junior high and high school days. I really couldn't get enough of listening to what everybody else was listening to. The songs back then weren't better; they just felt more personal I guess.

And I'm glad you enjoyed St. Etienne and Arrested Development as much as I did (and do). They were pretty big in the day and it's a shame not a lot of people remember them now.

Heather
Posting Machine
Posting Machine

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:52 pm
PostPost subject:

bello_returns wrote:

Dude! Everyone who is my age or Mojo's age (we are roughly the same age, I think) should know Mr. Wendal. It would/will totally be on my list as well, along with Tennessee. (When I was an undergrad, my best friend--particularly when intoxicated--would go into some kind of trance if she happened to hear Tennessee to the extent that we still reference it a lot when talking about our good old uni days.)

I'm working on my list, but I just had such an epically shit day at work that I'm going to leave it for when I have more time to cogitate. But also--I was in high school from 1991-1995, so it's gonna be heavy on the grunge.
mojo shivers
The Shit
The Shit

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:59 pm
PostPost subject:

Heather wrote:
bello_returns wrote:

Dude! Everyone who is my age or Mojo's age (we are roughly the same age, I think) should know Mr. Wendal. It would/will totally be on my list as well, along with Tennessee. (When I was an undergrad, my best friend--particularly when intoxicated--would go into some kind of trance if she happened to hear Tennessee to the extent that we still reference it a lot when talking about our good old uni days.)

I'm working on my list, but I just had such an epically shit day at work that I'm going to leave it for when I have more time to cogitate. But also--I was in high school from 1991-1995, so it's gonna be heavy on the grunge.

I was 89-93 here, but I was never that into grunge. I mean--I had the requisite Nevermind and Ten, but they were handing out those in home room. LOL

Heather
Posting Machine
Posting Machine

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:09 pm
PostPost subject:

mojo shivers wrote:
Heather wrote:

I was 89-93 here, but I was never that into grunge. I mean--I had the requisite Nevermind and Ten, but they were handing out those in home room. LOL

Scary how almost literal that is! Duped tapes of those albums were being passed around like a social disease.

I was never necessarily that into the grunge thing myself, it's just that those are definitely the songs now that immediately push that high school button in my brain. Plus whatever was on 120 Minutes.

p.s. The first person who says "I was born in 1991" gets a free kick in the pants, courtesy of me!

Last edited by Heather on Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
mojo shivers
The Shit
The Shit

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:12 pm
PostPost subject:

Heather wrote:
mojo shivers wrote:
Heather wrote:

Scary how almost literal that is! Duped tapes of those albums were being passed around like a social disease.

I was never necessarily that into the grunge thing myself, it's just that those are definitely the songs now that immediately push that high school button in my brain. Plus whatever was on 120 Minutes.

120 Minutes was awesome. I used to listen to KROQ, our local alternative station, a lot in those days and I remember KROQ and 120 were the place to find out about new bands every week. I also remember Kennedy was a DJ on KROQ for a few years and my friends and I would call to hassle and chat with her while she was on the midnight shift at the station. LOL

Heather
Posting Machine
Posting Machine

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:14 pm
PostPost subject:

120 Minutes was definitely where it was at.
bello_returns
Cool Kid
Cool Kid

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:51 pm
PostPost subject:

I love talking to people who were in high school in the late 80's and early 90's. So much of the music that shaped my taste is from your teen years. Crazy.

Oh I for sure knew your age group would know Arrested Development. Its people MY age who dont them (sadly).

And Mojo thats exactly why I'm sad I missed that era because the social aspect of music is completely lost in our new cyber world. Not many people really CARE about music anymore. Too often I run into people who when I ask their favorite band they look puzzled or confused and don't have an answer. I got a bit of it in high school but 2002 is faaaar different than 2011 for sure in terms of all that.

EDIT: I find it sooooo odd (and admittedly, lame) when I hear someone say they were born in nineteen-ninety ANYTHING. I mean I was born in early 88 and I think THAT even sounds lame. But being born in the 1990's?? I dunno, it just sounds weird.
neverending
Don't Fuck With
Don't Fuck With

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:43 pm
PostPost subject:

i think i can say this for myself and shannon, but i have a rule. dont date anyone born in the 90s. (i'm an 88 baby)

-Emily Heart
Heather
Posting Machine
Posting Machine

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:26 pm
PostPost subject:

mojo shivers wrote:
I would definitely agree that the music from my high school days were more diverse and important to people back then. You just didn't have access to everything at your fingertips at a moment's notice. So when you liked a song, you would wait for the album to come out on tape (at first) and then eventually CD. There was no downloading before the CD came out. You're only other option was to buy singles. I can't even tell you how many times I would buy three singles from an album before the album ever came out. Also, as much as I listen to music now, it was much more of a social activity back then. We would really get together to listen to songs if someone bought an LP before you did. We would really listen to albums all the way through on repeat since it wasn't a short process to create a mix tape or, heaven forbid, manually skip tracks.

Ditto to all this. I had basically an obligation to 3 or 4 friends to copy (onto tape) anything I bought for them--and they'd do the same for me.

But yes, listening to whole albums. I could put practically any song on the aforementioned Nevermind and Ten because you would indeed just put the whole album on. It's not like you could shuffle a tape. CDs you could, but only if you were fancy schmancy enough to have a multiple CD player.

I didn't even have any mp3s until I was in grad school. Grad school, people. And then I was like, "What am I supposed to do with this? Listen to it on my computer? Ridiculous!"

Sigh. We must sound like terrible old fogeys, Mojo. Back in my day... Is this going to be our version of walking uphill both ways in the snow to get to school? Hey you kids! Get off my lawn!

neverending wrote:
i think i can say this for myself and shannon, but i have a rule. dont date anyone born in the 90s. (i'm an 88 baby)

I think it's safe to say I abide by this rule myself.
mojo shivers
The Shit
The Shit

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:42 pm
PostPost subject:

Heather wrote:
mojo shivers wrote:

Ditto to all this. I had basically an obligation to 3 or 4 friends to copy (onto tape) anything I bought for them--and they'd do the same for me.

But yes, listening to whole albums. I could put practically any song on the aforementioned Nevermind and Ten because you would indeed just put the whole album on. It's not like you could shuffle a tape. CDs you could, but only if you were fancy schmancy enough to have a multiple CD player.

I didn't even have any mp3s until I was in grad school. Grad school, people. And then I was like, "What am I supposed to do with this? Listen to it on my computer? Ridiculous!"

Sigh. We must sound like terrible old fogeys, Mojo. Back in my day... Is this going to be our version of walking uphill both ways in the snow to get to school? Hey you kids! Get off my lawn!

You think that's bad, Heather? I know people who've never owned a cassette tape in their life, don't remember VCR's, and barely remember what house phones are like.

My pet peeve is the trend away from seeing films at the theater to everybody staying at home to watch them on their DVD, Blu-Ray, or computer. I've been going weekly to the movie theater to see at least one film since 1991. It really saddens me that people these days are willing to sacrifice the grandeur of seeing a film as it was meant to be seen for accessibility and portability.

I know it's old-fashioned, but I try always to see a movie I feel I'm going to like on the big screen first. I don't care how much it costs and I don't care how I have to plan my day around it. A good movie is still worth seeing the right way.

Heather
Posting Machine
Posting Machine

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:54 pm
PostPost subject:

mojo shivers wrote:
You think that's bad, Heather? I know people who've never owned a cassette tape in their life, don't remember VCR's, and barely remember what house phones are like.

My pet peeve is the trend away from seeing films at the theater to everybody staying at home to watch them on their DVD, Blu-Ray, or computer. I've been going weekly to the movie theater to see at least one film since 1991. It really saddens me that people these days are willing to sacrifice the grandeur of seeing a film as it was meant to be seen for accessibility and portability.

I know it's old-fashioned, but I try always to see a movie I feel I'm going to like on the big screen first. I don't care how much it costs and I don't care how I have to plan my day around it. A good movie is still worth seeing the right way.

To the first paragraph--well, yeah. I work with high school students on a regular basis at the library, and I know this to be true of all of them.

And I was also completely on board with you on the movie thing until I moved to a fucking cultural wasteland where they are only showing 6-8 movies at any given time, and they're never the 6-8 that I'd actually be interested in seeing (because I don't like the big special effects movies, or children's movies). So I have become one of those people who only sees things on DVD...but only because they never fucking play anything worth seeing in this godforsaken place.

Oh, have I mentioned that I need to get out of here ASAP?
mojo shivers
The Shit
The Shit

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:08 pm
PostPost subject:

I would definitely move, Heather. A good movie theater is one thing I can't live without. And I consider having access to an Arclight-quality one of the fringe benefits of living in L.A.

Heather
Posting Machine
Posting Machine

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:32 pm
PostPost subject:

Oh believe me, I'm workin' on it.
cityclass
Cool Kid
Cool Kid

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 2:42 am
PostPost subject:

I'm not sure who the youngest members are anymore... since Leanne left and whatsarahsaid (?) doesn't post anymore maybe it's connection&c and me (I think we're the same age). Anyway, I was in high school from 04-09 so here's a pretty recent list:

Bright Eyes - Bad Blood
Good Charlotte - The River (loved that shit)
Silversun Pickups - Lazy Eye
The Format - If Work Permits
Tracy Chapman - Fast Car
Loney, Dear - I Am John
George Michael - Faith
Red Hot Chili Peppers - Make You Feel Better, Animal Bar
The Tragically Hip - Bobcaygeon
City and Colour - Body in a Box
Thao With The Get Down Stay Down - Hills
Counting Crows - Recovering the Satellites
The New Pornographers - Daddy Don't Know
Schuyler Fisk - Paperweight
Nelly - Hot In Herre
Soulja Boy - TURN MA SWAG ON
Assorted RK, Bright Eyes, Fergie...

etc.
bello_returns
Cool Kid
Cool Kid

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:42 pm
PostPost subject:

For someone who (based on your high school years) was born in the 90's your taste in music is quite good considering most 90's born kids I've met have awful taste in music and seem to have amnesia or just don't pay attention.

I hate to make a big deal out of the whole "born in the 90's" thing but despite me being much closer in age to someone born in 1993 as opposed to someone born in 1975, I've found that my memories with music, TV and movies tends to align more with people in their 30's than people in their late teens. I think this is because many things that were popular in the 80's, ESPECIALLY mid-late 80's were still popular in the early-mid 90's due to the amazing invention of the re-run. Alot of "old" shows were presented to a new generation as "new" shows and we had no idea that the shows were old.

A perfect example would be when I was a kid, movies like Teen Witch, The Wizard, Troop Beverly Hills, Teen Wolf, Uncle Buck etc were shown on The Disney Channel quite frequently. So despite me being a baby when those movies came about, they were still a part of my childhood the same way they were for someone born in 81 or 82. I'm kinda glad it happened that way. Same deal with music and TV shows. I watched Kids Incorporated everyday in the 90's and its an 80's show.

I think the most painful thing was meeting two teenage girls who had never heard of either New Kids On The Block or The Spice Girls. That's when I started to feel old.
mojo shivers
The Shit
The Shit

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 1:39 pm
PostPost subject:

bello_returns wrote:
A perfect example would be when I was a kid, movies like Teen Witch, The Wizard, Troop Beverly Hills, Teen Wolf, Uncle Buck etc were shown on The Disney Channel quite frequently. So despite me being a baby when those movies came about, they were still a part of my childhood the same way they were for someone born in 81 or 82. I'm kinda glad it happened that way. Same deal with music and TV shows. I watched Kids Incorporated everyday in the 90's and its an 80's show.

That's another barometer of how young a person is, they don't remember when The Disney Channel was a premium channel like HBO or Showtime. I remember being mad at my parents because they would never spring for the "good" cable package, whereas now The Disney Channel comes with the basic stuff like USA and The Food Network.

I just remember how difficult it was to get Avonlea, my favorite show, till, of course, we started stealing cable. LOL

SPT
Cool Kid
Cool Kid

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 1:40 pm
PostPost subject:

Having just turned 40 last week some nostalgia is ineviatable:

this came out when I was 15

Open Youtube Page

but there was mainly a lot of this

Open Youtube Page

and this

Open Youtube Page