PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 5:48 pm
PostPost subject:

LOOOOOOVE the song. Love the drama.
jonesinforvagtown
Cool Kid
Cool Kid

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 9:47 pm
PostPost subject:

It's stuck in my head... and I don't even care. I like it being stuck there.
hustler

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:07 am
PostPost subject:

I don't really dig the chorus :/
thosekids
all-around quality person

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:08 pm
PostPost subject:

Love this! Didn't really dig babyface, but I haven't listened to it since it was first released so maybe it'll grow on me.

Either way, this is the first new release I've been excited for in a long while.
TumblingDice

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 2:03 am
PostPost subject:

Long time lurker, first time poster...

Found an easy-access stream of Go For The Throat @ http://www.cokemachineglow.com/dailyops/6113/elected-goforthethroat-2011, right down at the end of the post...also found her comments an enjoyable take on recent RK history...

These first two Elected songs have great raw energy, also impressively distinct from one another...if the rest of the release is as well rounded, could be in for something special. To my 'energy' point, haven't felt this kind of passion from an RK member since...hmm...a little thing called Rabbit Fur Coat.

Really hoping he pulls it off - to echo another poster, haven't been so eagerly anticipating a recording in quite a while - would be a thrill to see it get some sales and acclaim. Would be classic to see Blake become today's Gram Parsons/Brian Wilson (although I think he's evolving from even those styles).
binky1984
Top Poster
Top Poster

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 5:32 pm
PostPost subject:

I totally agree with her sentiments about how Rilo Kiley just wouldn't be Rilo Kiley without Blake. Sure, Jenny always was more in the spotlight, but it's his instrumental backing that I think she needs in order to shine.

Also, there was breakup around the time of "More Adventurous"?
Kelley
Top Poster
Top Poster

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:57 pm
PostPost subject:

Yeah, that breakup comment is definitely wrong.

Babyface hasn't done anything for me but I loooove GFTT. I hope Blake gets more recognition this time around. I was so disappointed by the turnout at the Elected's last Chicago show. (The Abbey wasn't even half full and a lot of people left after Margot & the Nuclear So and So's. My mom showed up after W2K and was super into the Elected, though. As in AIR GUITAR into it. I'm thankful I didn't know she was there, because I've witnessed her air guitar/keys/drumming, and yeesh...)
perfectday

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:30 pm
PostPost subject:

binky1984 wrote:
I totally agree with her sentiments about how Rilo Kiley just wouldn't be Rilo Kiley without Blake. Sure, Jenny always was more in the spotlight, but it's his instrumental backing that I think she needs in order to shine.

I completely agree with you. I did think Rabbit-Fur Coat was a masterpiece, but Acid Tongue and that Jenny & Johnny thing just don't work for me because in my very humble opinion, Johnathan Rice is unable to emphasize Jenny's lyrics. Rilo Kiley worked because Blake and Jenny complete each other musically. It's sad it's over.

The Elected
thosekids
all-around quality person

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 4:02 pm
PostPost subject:

perfectday wrote:
I completely agree with you. I did think Rabbit-Fur Coat was a masterpiece, but Acid Tongue and that Jenny & Johnny thing just don't work for me because in my very humble opinion, Johnathan Rice is unable to emphasize Jenny's lyrics. Rilo Kiley worked because Blake and Jenny complete each other musically. It's sad it's over.

I agree with all of this 100%. I really couldn't have put it any better. I enjoyed Rabbit Fur Coat and I love everything the Elected has put out, but nothing can touch the way that Jenny and Blake worked together musically. I'm thankful we got as much music as we did...after seeing Blake comparing Rilo Kiley to a dead body, it sounds like it's done.
bello_returns
Cool Kid
Cool Kid

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 1:22 pm
PostPost subject:

binky1984 wrote:

Also, there was breakup around the time of "More Adventurous"?

Before I reply to this, quick little anecdote. I was on Facebook and I always ignore the little ads on the side telling you about new music. I happened to glance over and saw Blake's face, just Blake alone. I was distracted so I didn't really think any of it, but after about a minute or two, I was like...wait. It's a pic of him ALONE. And I read the caption and it was a serious "oh yeah? Ok. Ok...wait... OMG BLAKE!" moment. Haha, I rushed here to tell everyone the news but of course as usual, I'm tardy for the party.

Anyway, to respond to binky, its no secret that I'm a Jenny fan through and through and I make no bones about that cause I liked her as the actress before I even heard RK. However, I 100% agree with you. There is no RK without Blake. Period. If Blake quit/got kicked out I probably wouldnt have been as big of a fan. He adds an element with his songwriting, and instrumentation that cannot be replaced. He's like the "silent" partner in the RK company. No Blake, no band. End of story.

And to comment on the whole Jenny and Johnny thing. To be honest, at this point I'm just glad Jenny's still making music. But for me, the Jenny and Johnny combo is a poor man's version of the Blake and Jenny combo. Its good, but it doesnt move me like the other stuff. Johnathan Rice, for me, just doesn't have "it". He's a serious downgrade for me. Although I did find Acid Tongue incredible but I attribute that to Jenny being at the forefront of that album.

And I swear to you, if by some temporary insanity, RK reunites and Johnathan replaces Blake on guitar...heads will roll.
perfectday

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 2:30 pm
PostPost subject:

bello_returns wrote:

And I swear to you, if by some temporary insanity, RK reunites and Johnathan replaces Blake on guitar...heads will roll.

I totally gasped and shook my head and went "nooooo!" when I read this. Shock

The Elected
Heather
Posting Machine
Posting Machine

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 2:42 pm
PostPost subject:

perfectday wrote:
bello_returns wrote:

Yeah, I wouldn't worry about that one, 'cause it's never gonna happen.
perfectday

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 3:09 pm
PostPost subject:

Heather wrote:
perfectday wrote:
bello_returns wrote:

Yeah, I wouldn't worry about that one, 'cause it's never gonna happen.

I know (hope?) it won't, but just the thought of it... Shock

Wink

The Elected
chimpforaday
Top Poster
Top Poster

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 12:06 am
PostPost subject:

i haven't been on the site in quite some time, but had to log back on to comment on this song.

i heard about 20 seconds of "babyface" and had to turn it off. i had almost given up on this record, but this song gives me some hope... though some of the lyrics make me cringe. i want to like this new record so bad. don't let me down, blake.
apexsensation
The Shit
The Shit

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 5:49 am
PostPost subject:

perfectday wrote:
Jenny & Johnny thing just don't work for me because in my very humble opinion, Johnathan Rice is unable to emphasize Jenny's lyrics. Rilo Kiley worked because Blake and Jenny complete each other musically. It's sad it's over.

I've been trying to figure out for years why I wasn't as into the J&J project as I figure I should have been, and I think this sums up exactly what I think. I also don't feel Jenny's voice blends as well with Jonathan's as other acts (RK, Postal Service, Watson Twins, etc) I've heard her sing with.

I'm now on Facebook, and will probably add you if you ask.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
RKnet Forum Index -> The Elected All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: