rilokiley.net
 
Welcome Guest: Register | Log in
 
My Posts | My Messages | My Profile | Search | Memberlist
 
new Elected record?
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic
RKnet Forum Index -> The Elected Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
nyeacknjny
Top Poster
Top Poster


Joined: 02 Aug 2004
Posts: 1373
Location: Philadelphia

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 5:01 pm
PostPost subject:
Reply with quote

bello_misterioso wrote:
The more I read this thread, the more I dont want another Elected record.

If another album means another year and a half long RK break then I really dont want it. I really like the Elected and all, but for me they are a poor man's Rilo Kiley. Same with Jenny's solo stuff. Now, if they can do both at the same time, then by all means go for it.

I think this want for side projects is a cry from the UTB haters who want something closer to RK's old sound. And I cant wait to crack up when The Elected turns into an electro band.


The Elected is more Rilo Kiley than Rilo Kiley is these days. I'd take 1 new Elected record over 3 more UTB'S.

~Nick
_________________
http://www.myspace.com/towncalledluckey
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
nyeacknjny
Top Poster
Top Poster


Joined: 02 Aug 2004
Posts: 1373
Location: Philadelphia

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 5:14 pm
PostPost subject:
Reply with quote

bello_misterioso wrote:
merf wrote:
bello_misterioso wrote:
I think this want for side projects is a cry from the UTB haters who want something closer to RK's old sound. And I cant wait to crack up when The Elected turns into an electro band.


Um, no and no.

PS: have you ever heard "Me First"?

I can't WAIT for a new Elected record, because it seems like that's the only way we're going to get more of Blake's songwriting. If that has to be without Jenny sometimes, well I'm all for that.


Duhhh I've heard Me First. I own it. I never said I didnt like The Elected because I love them, but the people who are so desperate for a new Elected record are people who didnt like UTB. Just look at maxticket's post. MA is just as good as Execution. People only hold Execution in a higher regard because its older and less known to the public.

I loved UTB and I am eager to hear more Rilo whether its in this new direction UTB has gone or if its back in the old direction. I'm there either way.

But if the Elected does release something new I'd want it to sound more like Me First. I really really liked the use of electronics on that album. It definitely deserved more praise.


you can't say Execution IS just as good as MA. thats a matter of opinion. then say the only reason alot of these people who have been fans and on these boards for years only like it more because it is obscure. thats alot of judgement passing. Not everything goes back to being about people hating UTB which seems to be this war you are fighting. if people do feel that the change in RK's sound is for the worse than it makes perfect sense that they would long for somthing that mantains more of those things that they loved in the bands earlier work and more of Blakes songwriting. Rilo Kiley has been my favorite band for 7 years but i'm not going to jump on the UTB bandwagon just because it is an RK record. you say "people who are so desperate for a new Elected record are people who didnt like UTB." Maybe people just like the Elected. I feel that Blakes songwriting and music on both Elected albums are alot stronger than the past 2 RK albums and its my love of his songwriting that makes me long for a new elected record. even if UTB had been another Execution. i'd still want another elected record.
wow, that songs really bitchy. its not meant to be i just felt there was alot of generalizing there.
_________________
http://www.myspace.com/towncalledluckey
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
jonesinforvagtown
Cool Kid
Cool Kid


Joined: 29 Oct 2004
Posts: 806

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 3:09 pm
PostPost subject:
Reply with quote

The timing on all this seems weird. RK has Bonaroo and Coachella coming up. I think this Jenny Lewis album is going to be a slight diversion before the next RK tour and album. I doesn't make sense that Jenny would just do a couple of spot RK appearances while promoting the solo album. Besides, how do you do songs with guests live? It's such a let down. Zooey Daschenel (sic), Elvis Costello and the others won't be at the shows, so night after night are we going to get Jonathan Rice filling in? This might just be a studio thing she did over the break. Then right back to RK in the Spring.
_________________
Visit me at The Walrus Speaks.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
binky1984
Top Poster
Top Poster


Joined: 04 Jun 2005
Posts: 1542
Location: East Texas

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 3:12 pm
PostPost subject:
Reply with quote

jonesinforvagtown wrote:
The timing on all this seems weird. RK has Bonaroo and Coachella coming up. I think this Jenny Lewis album is going to be a slight diversion before the next RK tour and album. I doesn't make sense that Jenny would just do a couple of spot RK appearances while promoting the solo album. Besides, how do you do songs with guests live? It's such a let down. Zooey Daschenel (sic), Elvis Costello and the others won't be at the shows, so night after night are we going to get Jonathan Rice filling in? This might just be a studio thing she did over the break. Then right back to RK in the Spring.


It just said that she's recording the album. That doesn't mean there's even a release date yet. Caaaaaalm down.

I don't understand all the freaking out that's going on.
_________________
I am flawed if I'm not free
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address
Fluid Floyd the Aquanoid
Top Poster
Top Poster


Joined: 10 Sep 2007
Posts: 1239
Location: My Beach My Wave

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 3:27 pm
PostPost subject:
Reply with quote

binky1984 wrote:
jonesinforvagtown wrote:
The timing on all this seems weird. RK has Bonaroo and Coachella coming up. I think this Jenny Lewis album is going to be a slight diversion before the next RK tour and album. I doesn't make sense that Jenny would just do a couple of spot RK appearances while promoting the solo album. Besides, how do you do songs with guests live? It's such a let down. Zooey Daschenel (sic), Elvis Costello and the others won't be at the shows, so night after night are we going to get Jonathan Rice filling in? This might just be a studio thing she did over the break. Then right back to RK in the Spring.


It just said that she's recording the album. That doesn't mean there's even a release date yet. Caaaaaalm down.

I don't understand all the freaking out that's going on.


Withdrawl symptoms . . .
_________________
All I need are some tasty waves, cool buzz and I'm fine.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
jonesinforvagtown
Cool Kid
Cool Kid


Joined: 29 Oct 2004
Posts: 806

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 4:07 pm
PostPost subject:
Reply with quote

binky1984 wrote:
jonesinforvagtown wrote:
The timing on all this seems weird. RK has Bonaroo and Coachella coming up. I think this Jenny Lewis album is going to be a slight diversion before the next RK tour and album. I doesn't make sense that Jenny would just do a couple of spot RK appearances while promoting the solo album. Besides, how do you do songs with guests live? It's such a let down. Zooey Daschenel (sic), Elvis Costello and the others won't be at the shows, so night after night are we going to get Jonathan Rice filling in? This might just be a studio thing she did over the break. Then right back to RK in the Spring.


It just said that she's recording the album. That doesn't mean there's even a release date yet. Caaaaaalm down.

I don't understand all the freaking out that's going on.


Sorry, that seemed un-calm? I'll take what I'm given. Life is beautiful.
_________________
Visit me at The Walrus Speaks.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
spilt



Joined: 11 Sep 2007
Posts: 29

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 5:00 pm
PostPost subject:
Reply with quote

binky1984 wrote:
I hope so. Sorry to be crude, but the guitar solos on "Biggest Star" were orgasmic.


Agreed! Rock My "O" face. Laughing
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Arthur Dent
all-around quality person


Joined: 04 Aug 2007
Posts: 186

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 7:54 pm
PostPost subject:
Reply with quote

nyeacknjny wrote:
bello_misterioso wrote:
merf wrote:
bello_misterioso wrote:
I think this want for side projects is a cry from the UTB haters who want something closer to RK's old sound. And I cant wait to crack up when The Elected turns into an electro band.


Um, no and no.

PS: have you ever heard "Me First"?

I can't WAIT for a new Elected record, because it seems like that's the only way we're going to get more of Blake's songwriting. If that has to be without Jenny sometimes, well I'm all for that.


Duhhh I've heard Me First. I own it. I never said I didnt like The Elected because I love them, but the people who are so desperate for a new Elected record are people who didnt like UTB. Just look at maxticket's post. MA is just as good as Execution. People only hold Execution in a higher regard because its older and less known to the public.

I loved UTB and I am eager to hear more Rilo whether its in this new direction UTB has gone or if its back in the old direction. I'm there either way.

But if the Elected does release something new I'd want it to sound more like Me First. I really really liked the use of electronics on that album. It definitely deserved more praise.


you can't say Execution IS just as good as MA. thats a matter of opinion. then say the only reason alot of these people who have been fans and on these boards for years only like it more because it is obscure. thats alot of judgement passing. Not everything goes back to being about people hating UTB which seems to be this war you are fighting. if people do feel that the change in RK's sound is for the worse than it makes perfect sense that they would long for somthing that mantains more of those things that they loved in the bands earlier work and more of Blakes songwriting. Rilo Kiley has been my favorite band for 7 years but i'm not going to jump on the UTB bandwagon just because it is an RK record. you say "people who are so desperate for a new Elected record are people who didnt like UTB." Maybe people just like the Elected. I feel that Blakes songwriting and music on both Elected albums are alot stronger than the past 2 RK albums and its my love of his songwriting that makes me long for a new elected record. even if UTB had been another Execution. i'd still want another elected record.
wow, that songs really bitchy. its not meant to be i just felt there was alot of generalizing there.
Applause
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
apexsensation
The Shit
The Shit


Joined: 22 Jun 2003
Posts: 9100
Location: Salt Lake City, UT

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 11:13 am
PostPost subject:
Reply with quote

nyeacknjny wrote:
The Elected is more Rilo Kiley than Rilo Kiley is these days. I'd take 1 new Elected record over 3 more UTB'S.

~Nick


Amen. But I'd probably take it one step further and say I'd take one more Elected album over one more RK album. I'm finding myself listening to more Elected than I am RK these days.
_________________
My username is apexsensation. But you can call me Jason if you'd like.

I'm now on Facebook, and will probably add you if you ask.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
bello_misterioso
Out Of Touch


Joined: 07 Sep 2007
Posts: 2141
Location: Reno, NV

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 1:04 am
PostPost subject:
Reply with quote

nyeacknjny wrote:

you can't say Execution IS just as good as MA. thats a matter of opinion. then say the only reason alot of these people who have been fans and on these boards for years only like it more because it is obscure. thats alot of judgement passing. Not everything goes back to being about people hating UTB which seems to be this war you are fighting. if people do feel that the change in RK's sound is for the worse than it makes perfect sense that they would long for somthing that mantains more of those things that they loved in the bands earlier work and more of Blakes songwriting. Rilo Kiley has been my favorite band for 7 years but i'm not going to jump on the UTB bandwagon just because it is an RK record. you say "people who are so desperate for a new Elected record are people who didnt like UTB." Maybe people just like the Elected. I feel that Blakes songwriting and music on both Elected albums are alot stronger than the past 2 RK albums and its my love of his songwriting that makes me long for a new elected record. even if UTB had been another Execution. i'd still want another elected record.
wow, that songs really bitchy. its not meant to be i just felt there was alot of generalizing there.


Well I'm sorry you feel that way but that is my opinion. IN MY OPINION, I think people like Execution better because its older, therefore had more time to grow on them, AND its has a less mainstream sound. If you go back and read I changed my mind and said I dont think MA is just as good as Execution but its definitely not much worse.

And as far as "jumping on the UTB bandwagon", thats the dumbest thing I've ever heard. If anyone likes that album simply because its made by RK well then I dont even know what to say about such a concept. I like UTB because I think its a great album. Different, but great.

And I think my point is pretty much proven given the posts on this thread. Most people on here who are yearning for an Elected album were dissatisfied with UTB. Thats not necessarily a BAD thing. Its just glaringly obvious. And the concept of "We want another Elected album simply because we like The Elected" is just laughable because pretty much The Elected means no RK. So if people ON A RILO KILEY MESSAGEBOARD are fine with no RK for another year and half, its probably because they didnt like UTB very much, because if they did (like me), they'd want to hear more from Rilo. Its a very simple concept.

I don't want another Elected album IF it means a long RK hiatus. I have said this many times and people conveniently don't acknowledge it. I think RK is a stronger band than both side projects and has much more potential. But that's me. I love The Elected and all, but I love Blake as a guitarist more than a vocalist. I'm just tired of hearing people complain about Under The Blacklight. I really am. There are a few songs on that album that I just dont care for at all, but I dont whine about it every other thread. It came out. It is what it is. Now let's move on. And of all the posts I've read on people who didnt like that album, people arent complaining about the quality of music, they are complaining about the change in sound which shows me that there are far too many people who only like one style of music, and thats sad.

If The Elected can come out alongside RK, fine. Bring it. But for me, The Elected and RFC were the icing and cherry on top, not the actual cake. AND if The Elected releases another album, I'd want it to sound more like Me First. I really really liked the sound of that album.

Again people this is all my OPINION. You have every right to disagree but make sure you READ what I say before you type your super long rebuttal.
_________________
Love me, hate me, say what you want about me. But all of the boys and all of the girls are begging to if you seek Amy. Laughing
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
delia
Cool Kid
Cool Kid


Joined: 02 Aug 2007
Posts: 523
Location: floridaaa

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 4:53 am
PostPost subject:
Reply with quote

personally i'm pretty excited by the idea of another elected album, having a single blake song on utb was the bummer of the century. if it does happen then i really hope broke crystal isn't tossed aside just because of the recycling of the dreamworld line
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
uncletammy



Joined: 26 Nov 2006
Posts: 51

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 3:11 pm
PostPost subject:
Reply with quote

Quote:
I'd take one more Elected record over 5 more RK records if that's what it came down to. No Clue but that's just me.


Straight Ditto Son
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
inbluexx



Joined: 24 Jun 2005
Posts: 46
Location: Seattle, WA

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 12:37 am
PostPost subject:
Reply with quote

apexsensation wrote:
nyeacknjny wrote:
The Elected is more Rilo Kiley than Rilo Kiley is these days. I'd take 1 new Elected record over 3 more UTB'S.

~Nick


Amen. But I'd probably take it one step further and say I'd take one more Elected album over one more RK album. I'm finding myself listening to more Elected than I am RK these days.


I agree. Sun, Sun, Sun is one of my all-time favorite albums, and let's just say Under the Blacklight is not. I give two thumbs up for another side project break.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Gav
Gangsta Mack
Gangsta Mack


Joined: 20 May 2003
Posts: 2540
Location: Portland, OR

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 12:04 pm
PostPost subject:
Reply with quote

apparently they're working on a new album now. Smile
_________________
Rilo Kiley Place - nice
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
undermyumbrella
all-around quality person


Joined: 19 Mar 2005
Posts: 305
Location: austria

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 12:14 pm
PostPost subject:
Reply with quote

nyeacknjny wrote:
bello_misterioso wrote:
The more I read this thread, the more I dont want another Elected record.

If another album means another year and a half long RK break then I really dont want it. I really like the Elected and all, but for me they are a poor man's Rilo Kiley. Same with Jenny's solo stuff. Now, if they can do both at the same time, then by all means go for it.

I think this want for side projects is a cry from the UTB haters who want something closer to RK's old sound. And I cant wait to crack up when The Elected turns into an electro band.


The Elected is more Rilo Kiley than Rilo Kiley is these days. I'd take 1 new Elected record over 3 more UTB'S.

~Nick


mee too !!
i'd also take another elected record over another RFC /AT.
plus: when will the elected ever tour in europe :/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
thischarmingman



Joined: 03 Jun 2008
Posts: 98
Location: I Love L.A.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 12:21 pm
PostPost subject:
Reply with quote

Quote:

The Elected is more Rilo Kiley than Rilo Kiley is these days. I'd take 1 new Elected record over 3 more UTB'S.

~Nick

mee too !!
i'd also take another elected record over another RFC /AT.
plus: when will the elected ever tour in europe :/


Such shocking and bold crazy ass statements for so early in the morning! Shock
The Elected is good, but nowhere near JL/RK brilliance.
_________________
and sometimes when you're on you're really fucking on.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
White Collar Boy
all-around quality person


Joined: 30 Jul 2007
Posts: 350
Location: Michigan

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 4:29 pm
PostPost subject:
Reply with quote

Sun, Sun, Sun, to me, is better than any of Jenny's solo stuff. It's such a perfect album.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Gav
Gangsta Mack
Gangsta Mack


Joined: 20 May 2003
Posts: 2540
Location: Portland, OR

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 5:15 pm
PostPost subject:
Reply with quote

And some people are more into Muhammad than Jesus. it's the way of the world. I wish I hadn't bumped this stupid topic now. I just thought some people might be excited that a new Elected album is being recorded at this moment.
_________________
Rilo Kiley Place - nice
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
happyfish
Hot Shit
Hot Shit


Joined: 02 May 2007
Posts: 3011
Location: SLC, Utah

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 5:28 pm
PostPost subject:
Reply with quote

Gav wrote:
I just thought some people might be excited that a new Elected album is being recorded at this moment.


I am! Hug
_________________
happiness is not a fish that you can catch.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
undermyumbrella
all-around quality person


Joined: 19 Mar 2005
Posts: 305
Location: austria

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 5:52 pm
PostPost subject:
Reply with quote

Gav wrote:
And some people are more into Muhammad than Jesus. it's the way of the world. I wish I hadn't bumped this stupid topic now. I just thought some people might be excited that a new Elected album is being recorded at this moment.


i just like balkes voice more than jennys.
plus: the elected sound more than rilo kiley for me...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
BadNewsMama
Cool Kid
Cool Kid


Joined: 05 Jan 2005
Posts: 561
Location: Bonita, CA

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 6:14 pm
PostPost subject:
Reply with quote

Gav wrote:
And some people are more into Muhammad than Jesus. it's the way of the world. I wish I hadn't bumped this stupid topic now. I just thought some people might be excited that a new Elected album is being recorded at this moment.


How is this a stupid topic?
Your news made my day.


Can you provide a source?
_________________
Love is Real
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
mojo shivers
The Shit
The Shit


Joined: 13 Jul 2004
Posts: 9819
Location: the goondocks

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 6:32 pm
PostPost subject:
Reply with quote

Sun, Sun, Sun > Me First > Acid Tongue > Rabbit Fur Coat

Jenny's solo stuff just doesn't compare to The Elected.
_________________
"Right is right even if no one does it, and wrong is wrong even if everyone does it."
--Rachel Joy Scott

california is a recipe for a black hole
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Gav
Gangsta Mack
Gangsta Mack


Joined: 20 May 2003
Posts: 2540
Location: Portland, OR

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 6:37 pm
PostPost subject:
Reply with quote

I just mean by this point I am thoroughly sick of the "Jenny vs. Blake" debate. Please, people.. enough!

Apparently Blake was also at the Azure Ray show the other night with Jenny and Bill Murray, and when asked what he was up to these days, said a new Elected album was being recorded. so, nothing official, but it's something.
_________________
Rilo Kiley Place - nice
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Rilokileyfan21
Top Poster
Top Poster


Joined: 27 May 2007
Posts: 1528
Location: West Jordan, Utah

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 6:48 pm
PostPost subject:
Reply with quote

Gav wrote:
Apparently Blake was also at the Azure Ray show the other night with Jenny and Bill Murray, and when asked what he was up to these days, said a new Elected album was being recorded. so, nothing official, but it's something.



Excited
_________________
We shift eachothers body to accept the bullet.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
delia
Cool Kid
Cool Kid


Joined: 02 Aug 2007
Posts: 523
Location: floridaaa

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 6:49 pm
PostPost subject:
Reply with quote

new elected is oh so exciting!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
RKnet Forum Index -> The Elected All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Post new topic   Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5
Jump to:  

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum