rilokiley.net

Welcome Guest: Register | Log in

My Posts | My Messages | My Profile | Search | Memberlist

The diet and exercise thread

RKnet Forum Index -> General Discussion Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 15, 16, 17  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nach heart
Posting Machine
Posting Machine

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 9:08 pm
PostPost subject:

tw2113 wrote:
bello_misterioso wrote:
I'm a guy actually

male here

Malomakaio and rknet are guys too.
maxticket
Baby Stabber
Baby Stabber

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 9:12 pm
PostPost subject:

nach heart wrote:
...rknet are guys too.

I'll believe it when the pictures surface
Malomakaio
Posting Machine
Posting Machine

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 9:41 pm
PostPost subject:

i'm totally a dude.
Lois_Lane
all-around quality person

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 10:30 pm
PostPost subject:

one idea that's really taken off here is using a pedometer, which measures the number of steps you take everyday. It's a pretty easy way to see how active you've been (including just simple going to and fro around the house) and fairly inexpensive (although the really cheap one's can sometimes be inaccurate).

They say 10,000 steps a day is the rough benchmark for weightloss but that includes like i said all the running around we do normally as well as exercise... it seems like a lot but i'm sure i'd all add up pretty quickly
rknet
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 11:38 pm
PostPost subject:

maxticket wrote:
nach heart wrote:
...rknet are guys too.

I'll believe it when the pictures surface

Banana Hi

one - two - three - four

I'd be embarrassed to post pics of me from a year ago. I got into the exercise kick bad... like obsessively. I was down to 145 pounds. It was not healthy.

I just ate an ice cream sandwich. It was damn tasty.
neverending
Don't Fuck With
Don't Fuck With

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 11:47 pm
PostPost subject:

L wrote:
Does anyone know if they have portable treadmills or exercise bikes that fold up small or something? Haha.. I know so little about these things, I know..

get one of these
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=5155933

they're fun.

im not over weight at all, im just really out of shape. i walk up 2 flightso f stairs at school and im out of breath. i dont think thats good. so i started going to the gym at school because its part of our tuition. i go swimming and do the water aerobics there and some hiphop class. well i never took the hiphop class but i think im going to becaue it sounds cool. and i can also learn some new dance moves lolol

-Emily Heart
L

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 12:30 am
PostPost subject:

neverending wrote:
L wrote:
Does anyone know if they have portable treadmills or exercise bikes that fold up small or something? Haha.. I know so little about these things, I know..

get one of these
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=5155933

they're fun.

im not over weight at all, im just really out of shape. i walk up 2 flightso f stairs at school and im out of breath. i dont think thats good. so i started going to the gym at school because its part of our tuition. i go swimming and do the water aerobics there and some hiphop class. well i never took the hiphop class but i think im going to becaue it sounds cool. and i can also learn some new dance moves lolol

I think that might hurt my back because there's no support. Sad

I need a bike or a treadmill because there's something to hold on to.
honeyfromthetombs
Posting Machine
Posting Machine

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 12:51 am
PostPost subject:

Hey L

I completely understand what you're going through... I'm 6 feet tall and, at my highest, weight in the 326 range. right now I'm around 200-205.

It's a really long road, but what worked best for me was going on a diabetic diet. it cuts a LOT of things out, but ultimately it just gets rid of all of the garbage we put into our bodies without thinking about it...

the basics are:

NO rice, pasta, bread or starches of any kind.... if "white" or "bleached" is in the name, cut it out... absolutely no sugar OR artificial sweeteners of any kind. sugar is bad enough as it is, but because artificial sweeteners are man-made, chemical products, they're just as terrible for you. Nothing deep-fried, nothing that comes from a fast food restaurants, NO eating after 10pm.

Eat fresh fruits and veggies (although steer clear of potato's as much as possible, unless they're RED potato's, and even then you have to eat them with the skins)... another big mistake people make is overloading on the proteins: giant steaks and tiny portions of veggies... that needs to be flipped.

Basically, the major factors are: no starches, no sugars/sweeteners, FRESH products and NOT processed crap, nothing fried, dried fruits, all the salad in the world, good oils (sesame, olive, sunflower)... a lot of it is really just common sense I suppose.

It's a long process... took me about three years to get to where I am, but the slow route really is the best. I didn't do crazy amounts of exercise either, mainly is was just walking a mile a day (but I do some other like work out stuff now)...

AND... and. don't be insanely strict. If you get a craving every now and then, it's really ok to feed the craving as long as you don't go overboard. the longer you put off the craving, the larger the portion is going to be when you finally DO give into it (and we ALWAYS give into it)... my biggest downfall is ice cream, and I treat myself maybe once a week...

Good foods in. Good stuff out. Balance. Easy and insanely hard all at the same time.

sawarmack.tumblr.com
Guera
Cool Kid
Cool Kid

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 1:48 am
PostPost subject:

Couch-to-5K got me excited about exercising. It's basically a beginner's running regimen, and gets you running 3 miles (or 30 minutes) within about two and a half months. It's structured so that you don't overdo it and end up miserable, but it's still enough of a challenge. I didn't lose much weight at all, but I could tell that I was much fitter-- my calves didn't hurt after walking up four flights of stairs, etc. However, I got a nasty sinus thing at the end of the summer, and I still feel congested a lot of the time (allergies? I dunno) and I can't run outside much anymore without my nose going crazy on me. I miss it, and now it's fall again. I need to figure something out.
terrance2874
Cool Kid
Cool Kid

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 10:20 am
PostPost subject:

WOW! Ok, just what I need to help me lose weight, a support thread! Male here also. 6'3" and over 350lbs. What I'm doing to help me lose weight is trying not to eat any pasta at all, or limiting portions (plus the whole wheat pasta is awesome!). For the last 20+ years I've drank only nonfat milk (I know it sounds gross, but once you switch to it, you'll never go back. I even water down 2 percent, it's too gross to me!). WATER, WATER, WATER!!! I cannot stress this enough! I work in a warehouse so I easily drink half a gallon+ per day. If you MUST have soda, try plain mineral water over ice with Torino flavored sugar free syrup. I learned this from an Italian guy in an Italian restaurant. He says they don't even drink soda where he's from 'cause the carbonation is bad for you. Lastly, sometimes I don't eat dinner at all. Seriously, I used to think that I really needed to eat dinner every day, but once I go online, I don't even think about eating (unless I'm reading one of Mojo's threads about what he had for lunch! Laughing ). These tips alone have helped me to lose a little weight. Now, if only I'd start exercising.....

Last edited by terrance2874 on Sat Sep 29, 2007 11:23 am; edited 1 time in total
apexsensation
The Shit
The Shit

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 11:06 am
PostPost subject:

rknet wrote:
I'd be embarrassed to post pics of me from a year ago. I got into the exercise kick bad... like obsessively. I was down to 145 pounds. It was not healthy.

I just ate an ice cream sandwich. It was damn tasty.

The interesting thing is until last summer, that was what I always weighed. I was always in the 135-150 range, and I'm 6'2". In fact, as recently as the Jenny Lewis show I went to a year ago today, I was right around that weight. I must've consumed a ton of calories in the last year, because when I weighed myself earlier this month, I weighed 189. Although that's normal for my height, it was unusual for me, so I decided to change my calorie intake and began jogging around my block a few weeks ago. I'd like to get to something reasonable (like 175) but more importantly am taking this chance to get into shape.

I'm now on Facebook, and will probably add you if you ask.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
bello_misterioso
Out Of Touch

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 7:08 pm
PostPost subject:

Britney Spears
bello_misterioso
Out Of Touch

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 7:09 pm
PostPost subject:

bello_misterioso wrote:
Granny Mildred Spears

The reason I did that was because I wanted to know who's bright idea was it to change b ritney s pears to granny mildred spears everytime someone posted it?
letsfeelinfinite
Top Poster
Top Poster

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 7:16 pm
PostPost subject:

bello_misterioso wrote:
bello_misterioso wrote:
Granny Mildred Spears

The reason I did that was because I wanted to know who's bright idea was it to change b ritney s pears to granny mildred spears everytime someone posted it?

I'm pretty sure that was either Kevin or Gav (tangent: where has Gav been?). Either way, I find it amusing.
L

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 10:07 pm
PostPost subject:

letsfeelinfinite wrote:
bello_misterioso wrote:
bello_misterioso wrote:
Granny Mildred Spears

I'm pretty sure that was either Kevin or Gav (tangent: where has Gav been?). Either way, I find it amusing.

That was Gav that did that, hehe, long time ago now. And where hasn't Gav been?

Though these days he's gone all formal on us and now he's Gaven.
bello_misterioso
Out Of Touch

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 10:22 pm
PostPost subject:

L wrote:
letsfeelinfinite wrote:
bello_misterioso wrote:
bello_misterioso wrote:
Granny Mildred Spears

Lol at first I thought I was crazy because I was re-reading my post and noticed that it said Granny Mildred and I though "what the heck" haha. That is pretty funny though.
Gav
Gangsta Mack
Gangsta Mack

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 10:33 pm
PostPost subject:

Banana Hi the "Granny Mildred" thing came about last year when the board would frequently be hit by spam bots touting dirty videos and whatnot; she was the spammers' favorite name to drop. So the word replacement was a fun trick to turn annoying spam into something somewhat amusing.
Now, thankfully, we have better anti-spam measures set up here, so it's not really an issue anymore. I've offered to turn off the word switch, but consensus seems to be that it's funny enough to keep it around.
maxticket
Baby Stabber
Baby Stabber

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 10:34 pm
PostPost subject:

L wrote:
letsfeelinfinite wrote:
bello_misterioso wrote:
bello_misterioso wrote:
Granny Mildred Spears

he's spending alot of his time developing and maintaining his Golden Girl's fansite so my guess is that's a big part of it.
mojo shivers
The Shit
The Shit

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 5:10 am
PostPost subject:

maxticket wrote:
L wrote:
letsfeelinfinite wrote:
bello_misterioso wrote:
bello_misterioso wrote:
Granny Mildred Spears

he's spending alot of his time developing and maintaining his Golden Girl's fansite so my guess is that's a big part of it.

I'm so there when it's up and running full-speed.

california is a recipe for a black hole
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
letsfeelinfinite
Top Poster
Top Poster

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 8:11 am
PostPost subject:

mojo shivers wrote:
maxticket wrote:
L wrote:
letsfeelinfinite wrote:
bello_misterioso wrote:
bello_misterioso wrote:
Granny Mildred Spears

So (prepare yourself for tangent that has nothing to do with diet/exercise), I've always enjoyed Golden Girls, and everyone laughs at me for this, but I think Betty White is evil. I seriously think she is possessed by something. I wish I weren't serious.
evildelia
Cool Kid
Cool Kid

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 10:09 am
PostPost subject:

So, I'm glad this thread exists, because I get really frustrated by the whole thing. I'm completely baffled by my body: last year I was working out everyday, and I still gained about 15 pounds (and no, it wasn't muscle like everyone tried to convince me- it all went straight to the behind). Now, I've finally escaped dorm food, and I'm cooking for myself for the first time in my life, so I'm trying my best to be really healthy about it. I no longer have my car, so I walk almost everywhere, and I try to get to the school gym at least two days a week on the days I have class. And yet I'm still gaining weight.

I don't like the idea of "dieting" because I feel like a healthy diet shouldn't be temporary. I try to eat lots of fresh fruits and veggies, and I quit drinking anything but water and juice over a year ago. I'll readily admit that my downfall is my sweet tooth and that I have had problems with binge eating in the past, but I've been working on those problems for a long time, and yet the weight just keeps coming.

Meh. Sorry for the rant about it all. But anyway, does anyone have any particularly favorite healthy recipes, or healthy snacks? I'm not a vegetarian, but I'm trying to eat more vegetarian meals, I'm just not sure where to start.

I know from my genetics that I'll never be particularly skinny (If I dropped below 130, I'd probably look like a famine victim anyway), but it would be nice to lose about 40 pounds. My best revenge is that my brother, who was a fat kid like me but had a freakish growth spurt when he was 13 and turned into a stick, is starting to pack it on again. I warned him Laughing
mojo shivers
The Shit
The Shit

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 10:40 am
PostPost subject:

letsfeelinfinite wrote:
mojo shivers wrote:
maxticket wrote:
L wrote:
letsfeelinfinite wrote:
bello_misterioso wrote:
bello_misterioso wrote:
Granny Mildred Spears

So (prepare yourself for tangent that has nothing to do with diet/exercise), I've always enjoyed Golden Girls, and everyone laughs at me for this, but I think Betty White is evil. I seriously think she is possessed by something. I wish I weren't serious.

What's not to love about The Golden Girls? I'd think you more off your rocker if you didn't like the show. Only nefarious hellspawn dislike Rose and the gang.

california is a recipe for a black hole
maxticket
Baby Stabber
Baby Stabber

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 11:32 am
PostPost subject:

I think the allusion of evil Betty White comes from that episode of the Simpsons where she's doing the PBS pledge drive. Or the creepyish pet meds commercial. Actually, my issues with Betty White mostly surround the fact that I'm a little afraid of old people.

I like that Gav(en) was apparently posting at the same time as me and got there first only to make my post look out of place.
Fucking typical Gav.
Gav
Gangsta Mack
Gangsta Mack

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 1:02 pm
PostPost subject:

maxticket wrote:
I like that Gav(en) was apparently posting at the same time as me and got there first only to make my post look out of place.
Fucking typical Gav.

sorry, max. To redeem myself, I fixed 2 typos in your post. Hug
mattloaf1
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 2:12 pm
PostPost subject:

I came for the diet and exercise discussion but stayed for the Golden Girls debate.
RKnet Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Post new topic   Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 15, 16, 17  Next
Page 2 of 17
Jump to: