rilokiley.net

Welcome Guest: Register | Log in

My Posts | My Messages | My Profile | Search | Memberlist

movie dorks need movie talk.

RKnet Forum Index -> General Discussion Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 46, 47, 48  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ZooeyLewis
all-around quality person

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 3:46 pm
PostPost subject:

I want so badly to see that movie, Mojo.

'Melancholia' is also on my list, but isn't playing here until December at the expensive theatre. Lame.

I went and saw Martha Marcy May Marlene last weekend, and damn is Elizabeth Olsen a babe! Sorry, that's my only positive sentiment regarding this movie because I waited the entire time for some sort of climax to develop and out of nowhere the credits rolled.
mojo shivers
The Shit
The Shit

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 6:33 pm
PostPost subject:

ZooeyLewis wrote:
I want so badly to see that movie, Mojo.

'Melancholia' is also on my list, but isn't playing here until December at the expensive theatre. Lame.

I went and saw Martha Marcy May Marlene last weekend, and damn is Elizabeth Olsen a babe! Sorry, that's my only positive sentiment regarding this movie because I waited the entire time for some sort of climax to develop and out of nowhere the credits rolled.

Yeah, Martha Marcy May Marlene is one tough movie to wrap your head around. Yet, somehow, I enjoyed it as a character study.

Like Crazy is much easier to follow and much easier to appreciate. Go see it now, Boris.

california is a recipe for a black hole
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
ZooeyLewis

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:43 pm
PostPost subject:

mojo shivers wrote:

Yeah, Martha Marcy May Marlene is one tough movie to wrap your head around. Yet, somehow, I enjoyed it as a character study.

Like Crazy is much easier to follow and much easier to appreciate. Go see it now, Boris.

Did you think it was going to be about the Manson murders at one point or am I an idiot?
mojo shivers
The Shit
The Shit

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 12:06 am
PostPost subject:

ZooeyLewis wrote:
mojo shivers wrote:

Did you think it was going to be about the Manson murders at one point or am I an idiot?

I knew it wasn't based on any real event or group, but I thought there'd be more death. It just seemed to be leaning in that direction.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
bello_returns
Cool Kid
Cool Kid

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 12:12 am
PostPost subject:

ZooeyLewis wrote:

I know there was supposed to be an upcoming film focused on the Manson family girls and Lindsay Lohan was actually cast in it (perfect fit if you ask me) but she subsequently left the project and as far as I know the film is still in limbo. I don't know if this is the same project but I did hear about this a while ago.

As far as Attack The Block, I watched that at my friends house a few weeks ago and it was beyond incredible...that is if you can appreciate campy, ridiculous British films (which I can)

I really want to see My Week With Marilyn or whatever its called. It doesnt look like it'll be amazing but anything Marilyn Monroe related, I wanna see. Plus Michelle Williams, IMO, is a great actress considering some of the other rubbish female actresses out there.

As far as films in general these days, I used to go to the movies every weekend and spend almost half my paycheck on new and old movies. While I still think there are gems here and there, I am underwhelmed with movies as a whole in the past 5 years. I also feel like movies now are rushed to theaters and rushed to DVD and doesn't allow for a hype and anticipation to build. I am especially annoyed with 3D films and horror remakes. Enough. I love the art-form of 3D but its becoming gimmicky, redundant and pointless. Also as a huge fan of horror b-films the constant inferior remakes really piss me off. I'd rather have a shitty sequel than a shitty remake...oh excuse me, "reimagining". Rolling Eyes
mojo shivers
The Shit
The Shit

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 12:22 am
PostPost subject:

Go see Like Crazy, Bello. It's a small, intimate film but I think it'll surprise you how moving it is.

bello_returns
Cool Kid
Cool Kid

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 3:48 am
PostPost subject:

I typically don't like romantic films but independent romance movies tend to be a lot less drippy and are more realistic and don't give that Hollywood image of love that I hate so much. I looked into it, seems like an interesting movie. I think I could give it a go.
mojo shivers
The Shit
The Shit

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 3:55 am
PostPost subject:

bello_returns wrote:
I typically don't like romantic films but independent romance movies tend to be a lot less drippy and are more realistic and don't give that Hollywood image of love that I hate so much. I looked into it, seems like an interesting movie. I think I could give it a go.

I don't know if romantic is the right word. There are romantic parts, to be sure, but the tone is neither lighthearted nor tragic. It's somewhere in the middle of that spectrum.

hphan848

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 4:04 am
PostPost subject:

I highly recommend a movie I recently saw called Submarine. I absolutely loved it. It's kind of like a British Wes Anderson movie

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUT4GtS9_ns
Heather
Posting Machine
Posting Machine

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 5:59 pm
PostPost subject:

hphan848 wrote:
I highly recommend a movie I recently saw called Submarine. I absolutely loved it. It's kind of like a British Wes Anderson movie

And it was directed by Richard Ayoade of The IT Crowd, which just makes it cool from the get-go!
hphan848

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 4:28 am
PostPost subject:

Heather wrote:
hphan848 wrote:

And it was directed by Richard Ayoade of The IT Crowd, which just makes it cool from the get-go!

Yup Yup!!
ZooeyLewis

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:53 am
PostPost subject:

mojo shivers wrote:
bello_returns wrote:

I don't know if romantic is the right word. There are romantic parts, to be sure, but the tone is neither lighthearted nor tragic. It's somewhere in the middle of that spectrum.

It's realistic. You build up a relationship that was never able to fully mature in your head, and when you go back to it... it's not the fairytale you expected.

I wanted to see Melancholia and My Week With Marilyn this week, but the theatres here have already stopped showing both films. Bummer. I opted for The Devil Inside on Saturday instead, which is a film about my mother.

Just kidding.

Sort of.
mojo shivers
The Shit
The Shit

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:42 pm
PostPost subject:

Open Youtube Page

I'm kind of interested in this film. You don't see too many "one-take" horror films. It's like 24 meets Paranormal Activity. And Elizabeth Olsen doesn't hurt either. Ever since Marcy Martha May Marlene I've been curious to see what her next starring film would be.

happyfish
Hot Shit
Hot Shit

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 4:15 pm
PostPost subject:

I just watched Pleasantville, only because I knew JL was in it, and she had like, one line. WTF?
mojo shivers
The Shit
The Shit

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 4:27 pm
PostPost subject:

happyfish wrote:
I just watched Pleasantville, only because I knew JL was in it, and she had like, one line. WTF?

Back in the day, that used to be enough to get me to watch any movie. In fact, I had like a dozen people that would call me just to say they saw Jenny in something as simple as a television commercial. Then I'd spend days tracking it down. Or, ever worse, if there was a magazine with her in I'd go all over town looking for a copy or several libraries if it was an issue from years ago.

It was like a scavenger hunt all the time in the days before the internet.

mojo shivers
The Shit
The Shit

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:21 am
PostPost subject:

I wrote a review about The Hunger Games on Facebook, but somebody mentioned that there are some spoilers for people who haven't read the series so I'm "whiting" it out here.

Highlight to read.

I enjoyed Hunger Games, but I agree with Leslie Gunn. There is so much more in the books that they couldn't translate to the screen. Katniss' thoughts during the Games is a vital part of the plot of the book and drives home the anti-war message that carries throughout the series. To take her reactions away, her inner dialogue about how the situation is affecting her in various ways, is a disservice to how the twists and turns of her time just trying to survive expressly drive what will happen in books two and three.

What I also found lacking was Gale's participation in the book. It felt like he was just standing around for most of the movie. I just didn't feel Katniss' conflict for wanting to remain, I guess, "loyal" to Gale and wanting to play along with Peeta in order to get herself and him through the Games safely. She almost seemed to fall in line with Peeta's ultimate plan too easily and almost seemed to cast aside her camaraderie with Gale too easily. If I hadn't read the book I would have never known the depth of her connection to Gale at all just by watching the movie.

But there were a lot of good points. I did enjoy the tracker jacker scene, the sabotage of the Cornucopia scene, and the shooting the apple scene. Those were the three parts of the book that I remembered the most and they translated to the screen very well. I also thought Jennifer Lawrence carried herself wonderfully and am very much looking forward to her continuing the role into the next two films. I'd give the film maybe a seven out of ten--possibly eight if I weren't to compare it to the book so much.

Eat fresh.

mojo shivers
The Shit
The Shit

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:18 pm
PostPost subject:

I saw The Cabin in the Woods today. I'd like to review it, but I don't want to give any of the twists and surprises away. I just don't believe there's a way to write my opinion of it without spoiling fnord something. Sufficed to say if you like horror films and you like Joss Whedon stories you'll like this movie.

It's so much more than merely a horror movie.

mojo shivers
The Shit
The Shit

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 8:46 pm
PostPost subject:

Open Youtube Page

I dreamed a dream... this was coming out tomorrow. I have a feeling this is going to be for more my speed than the Liam Neeson version since I've remained an ardent fan of the musical while the book never impressed me at all.

Plus, Wolverine as Valjean and Maximus as Javert? Cool beans. LOL

mojo shivers
The Shit
The Shit

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:12 am
PostPost subject:

For anyone in L.A. in September they're showing Troop Beverly Hills on the 21st. It's only $10 and includes alcoholic (and non-alcoholic) drinks. I'm seriously considering going to this since I haven't seen that movie on the big screen in forever.

http://stateofunique.com/events/movie-night/

hphan848

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:10 am
PostPost subject:

Anybody have any Netflix suggestions?
F#minor
Top Poster
Top Poster

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:30 am
PostPost subject:

If you have a twitter follow mark Duplass from the league, he has this think called Netflix365 where he tells you what to watch via suggestions. If not i recommend is CLueless or Y TU MAMA TAMBIEN

- Rodney Ruxin
F#minor
Top Poster
Top Poster

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 8:59 pm
PostPost subject:

Summer of Movies is here:

Iron Man 3 was amazing! So many things I will talk about .. later.

Gatsby had so much potential but unfortunately the changes that the director made in the sotry made me mad.
No matter how amazing Mulligan and DiCaprio were in the film, they could not salvage the directors decision in soundtrack and subtle changes in the story that would make the biggest fan jump into a rage. It's hard to sell the jazz scene when you are playing dub step and hip-hop. Jay-Z as producer to the soundtrack was a bad choice and mostly rehashed jazz-up versions of old Beyonce songs. Only The theme, done by Lana Del Rey, was lovely. I would say it was 3 out of 5.. So much potential ruined by irksome changes.

- Rodney Ruxin
mojo shivers
The Shit
The Shit

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 8:16 am
PostPost subject:

I wrote this earlier this week:

Quote:
I saw Star Trek: Into Darkness last night. I've seen The Great Gatsby, Iron Man 3, and am planning to see most of the other blockbusters this summer.

And yet the "summer" film I'm still looking forward to the most is Fast & Furious 6, which opens this week. The last two movies turned the series into a franchise, and I'd say were the most entertaining of the bunch. I'd say this is my guilty pleasure film franchise, but I don't care who knows it. If this film lives up to its predecessors--and the trailer leads me to believe it does--then this will be pound for pound the best entertaining movie this summer.

No one blends action, thriller, comedy, and borderline parody seamlessly like these films do.

It was everything I thought it was going to be. It's the perfect summer blockbuster movie. All I can say is a year is too long to start the next trilogy (now with the most recognizable baddie in the series). Bring on 7! LOL

Built To Post
Hot Shit
Hot Shit

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 8:27 am
PostPost subject:

I haven't seen any of the Fast & Furious movies.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
v-rinny
Top Poster
Top Poster

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 10:26 am
PostPost subject:

Built To Post wrote:
I haven't seen any of the Fast & Furious movies.

Me neither.

am I asleep or awake?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
RKnet Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Post new topic   Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 46, 47, 48  Next
Page 47 of 48
Jump to: