RKnet Forum Index -> Jenny Lewis Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Heather
Posting Machine
Posting Machine

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 12:05 am
PostPost subject:

Heather wrote:
Hey, does anyone know why Jenny had to cancel the shows? Not to sound like someone's mom or anything, but it makes me worry about her! I hope everything is okay, at least relatively speaking...

I'm still worried.
happyfish
Hot Shit
Hot Shit

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 12:43 am
PostPost subject:

delia wrote:
Quote:
Orlando Calling
Due to a family emergency, Jenny Lewis (Jenny and Johnny) has been forced to withdraw from Orlando Calling scheduled for November 12. Jenny apologizes to her fans and supporters and we wish her and her family the best as they go through this difficult time.

is anyone else slightly concerned about all this? that's a whole lot of cancellations.

I am with the concerned group. It probably has to be something pretty bad to lead to that many cancellations. I'm sorry Jenny, we love you! Best wishes!
bello_returns
Cool Kid
Cool Kid

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 1:04 pm
PostPost subject:

chemicalstress wrote:
I'm concerned. I think a joke about hoping it's Jonathan Rice's voice is totally tasteless

Rolling Eyes Oh please, are you actually concerned about her or are you concerned that so many shows are being cancelled? Being in L.A., you'd be one of the affected people so I'm leaning more toward the latter. I could see the joke being tasteless to you if you knew her or J.Rice personally but as far as I know you don't and neither do I, nor do we know what this family emergency is. So how about getting a sense of humor.

I also think its funny how concern for a celebrity is justified depending upon WHO it is not what happened to them. If I had posted a topic in General Discussion expressing my concern for Lindsay Lohan's health or Kim Kardashian's divorce I'd get criticized for caring about a celebrity, but I make a joke about Jenny Lewis' family emergency (which wasn't even directed at her) and now I'm tasteless. I'll roll my eyes again. Rolling Eyes

EDIT: Btw, I'm not knocking anyone who IS concerned, I'm just defending my "tasteless" jab at Johnathan Rice, who as far as I know, isn't even involved in this emergency.
HarvesterOhearts
Cool Kid
Cool Kid

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 1:55 pm
PostPost subject:

Lol, I love me some bello.
Heather
Posting Machine
Posting Machine

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 2:04 pm
PostPost subject:

bello_returns wrote:
I also think its funny how concern for a celebrity is justified depending upon WHO it is not what happened to them. If I had posted a topic in General Discussion expressing my concern for Lindsay Lohan's health or Kim Kardashian's divorce I'd get criticized for caring about a celebrity, but I make a joke about Jenny Lewis' family emergency (which wasn't even directed at her) and now I'm tasteless. I'll roll my eyes again. Rolling Eyes

Of course concern is based on who it is...that's not just with celebrities, that's how it works in "real life" too. I don't go around being concerned with the welfare of every person in the world, but it's different if it's someone whose well-being I'm generally interested in. So, yeah, I'm generally interested in what's going on in Jenny's life, so I'm worried if I think something bad might have happened to her or her family. I generally don't give two shits about what's going on with Lindsay Lohan or Kim Kardashian, so I don't care what's going on with them, whether it be good, bad, or indifferent. And you can't tell me that this is based on self-interest since none of the shows were going to be near me, so there was no chance--not even the slightest--that I would have been going.

Look, it's like this. When I was in college, I was involved with an organization, and one of the other people in that org. was a real pain in the ass to deal with. I didn't like her, and I made that clear to everyone. My roommate didn't like her either. Then the PITA's boyfriend died in a car accident. I didn't give a shit about that girl before her boyfriend died, so I didn't give a shit about her afterwards, either. (Don't get me wrong--it wasn't like I was happy that he died, but I couldn't bring myself to get too upset about it, either.) Some people--including my roommate--got on my case for being cold and uncaring, but I pointed out that my concern for someone when they're going through a hard time is generally based on how I feel about them in the rest of life. So, yeah, for me (and I'm pretty sure for everyone who isn't a total lunatic), their concern for someone's well-being is dependent upon who the person is, and that's not just the case with celebrities.

I know you weren't talking to me, so I'm not responding to this thinking it was a personal attack or comment, but this line of reasoning is totally ridiculous. Someone called you out because they thought a joke you made was tasteless. You disagree. We all have opinions, but your point about celebrities is well off-base, and I think you're being absurd.
bello_returns
Cool Kid
Cool Kid

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 2:27 pm
PostPost subject:

I don't think I'm off-base or absurd at all. I said if I was concerned about Lindsay Lohan or Kim Kardashian (which I'm not) I'd be criticized for it but when its Jenny Lewis or Zooey Deschanel its so horrible. You enjoying one person's work over another should have no bearing over whether you sympathize with them or not as a person. I could give two shits about Kim Kardashian but if she had something horrible happen to her, as a PERSON I'd feel bad because I feel sad when horrible things happen to ANYONE whether I like them or not (I only draw exceptions to people who have done heinous things such as murder). Because to me, that reads as fraudulent concern which I think is worse than no concern at all. I also think there are plenty (like myself) who's source of concern, in part, comes from the shows being cancelled. I'm not going to lie about it. It is what it is. I'm not attacking or criticizing anyone for being concerned about HER though (which I also am). My point was that chemicalstress said my joke was tasteless and maybe it was (I don't think so), but who cares? Sounds like he/she was offended. I made a jab at JOHNATHAN RICE. I understand being concerned about a musician who's music you really enjoy but to make that sort of comment as if I have to be solemnly concerned is ridiculous. Its a joke and I don't even know her personally. Yes, I'm concerned on the basic human level of "I don't want any person to have trouble in their life" but if we're being honest, I'm not so concerned where I'm going to be offended if someone makes a joke about her BOYFRIEND who may or may not even be involved. And with all the J.Rice bashing that goes on around here I don't see how I was being any more tasteless than anyone else who did it. I was very honest and said listen, that really sucks that she has a family emergency but I can't say I'm ALL bummed because now I have another shot at getting a ticket and I don't feel I'm wrong for that either. At least I was honest! Again, Heather no disrespect. I understand your point and I like you alot. I don't see anything wrong with being a concerned fan as we BOTH are, my gripe was with being called tasteless. Truth be told, I'm not gonna lose sleep over it, but this is a discussion forum, so why not address it? Just because I can joke about something that may or may not be serious just means I have a sense of humor. I have plenty of taste thank you very much! Rock

And harvester, luv u 2! Wink
Heather
Posting Machine
Posting Machine

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 4:05 pm
PostPost subject:

Well, I've always known there was very little we agree about, and I can just add this to the list as one more thing.
TheOtherOne420
Cool Kid
Cool Kid

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 5:18 pm
PostPost subject:

Heather wrote:

Look, it's like this. When I was in college, I was involved with an organization, and one of the other people in that org. was a real pain in the ass to deal with. I didn't like her, and I made that clear to everyone. My roommate didn't like her either. Then the PITA's boyfriend died in a car accident. I didn't give a shit about that girl before her boyfriend died, so I didn't give a shit about her afterwards, either. (Don't get me wrong--it wasn't like I was happy that he died, but I couldn't bring myself to get too upset about it, either.) Some people--including my roommate--got on my case for being cold and uncaring, but I pointed out that my concern for someone when they're going through a hard time is generally based on how I feel about them in the rest of life. So, yeah, for me (and I'm pretty sure for everyone who isn't a total lunatic), their concern for someone's well-being is dependent upon who the person is, and that's not just the case with celebrities.

That's an interesting way to look at things. I don't really want to veer too far off topic here, but I don't know if this is necessarily a typical way of dealing with people. I don't mean to pile on you here, because I admire your honesty, not just in this case, but in general around here. For me, even if I'm not on the greatest terms with someone, if they are dealing with a tragedy in their life, I like to think I am willing to offer at least a little bit of support. Can you not at least sympathize to some degree with someone in that situation? They may be a dick, but they deserve support during tough times too. I guess we're just wired differently, and I don't mean to come off sounding all judgey, that's really not my intention.

I do think it's a little irrational to get overly worked up over someone you've never met (or legitimately know outside of a fan/artist meeting). Jenny will deal with whatever is going on and get back to playing shows when or if she feels like it. No amount of worrying from me is going to help her out in any way.
bello_returns
Cool Kid
Cool Kid

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 5:39 pm
PostPost subject:

TheOtherOne420 wrote:

I do think it's a little irrational to get overly worked up over someone you've never met (or legitimately know outside of a fan/artist meeting).

Well said. I understand there is a certain amount of concern that will come from a fan of a celebrity. I think Heather's expression of concern is the type that is rational and stems from just being a dedicated fan. But when it turns into "wow, being happy you can get a ticket now is way rude for Jenny's situation" or "wow that joke about Johnathan Rice was pretty tasteless", the concern becomes disingenuous to me because as you said Mr. 420, we do not KNOW these people, we just admire them.

And I'll reiterate because I think I was spot on with this. There was recently a topic made about Zooey Deschanel and Ben Gibbard breaking up where people were discussing how they were bummed. Perfectly fine, thats what we're here for: to discuss. But again, had I made a topic about Kim Kardashian and Kris Humphreys divorce, I'd have got a whole lot of "who gives a shit" and "who cares". Yet if I had went into the Ben and Zooey discussion and said those things, I'D be the dick correct? We all know that's how it would happen. So my point is, and then I'm going to just drop it cause I'm over it, is that people are people are people. We don't know Kim, Zooey or Jenny. The only thing that tips things in one's favor is whether we like their work. So for me, to be concerned about one person you don't know because you like their music, and not give a shit about the other you don't know based on you NOT liking their music (or work) to me can come off disingenuous and irrational. Whether it is or not, I don't know, nor do I care. And based on Heather's point, if people can be seriously concerned about the personal life of a musician because they like their music, I don't understand why I can't make a tasteless joke about a musician that I DON'T like. Shouldn't it work both ways?

So yeah, I've said my piece. Again, nothing personal against Heather, or chemicalstress, we just view things a bit differently as far as this subject and that's fine. That's the beauty of discussion.

Last edited by bello_returns on Wed Nov 02, 2011 5:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Heather
Posting Machine
Posting Machine

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 5:41 pm
PostPost subject:

TheOtherOne420 wrote:
That's an interesting way to look at things. I don't really want to veer too far off topic here, but I don't know if this is necessarily a typical way of dealing with people. I don't mean to pile on you here, because I admire your honesty, not just in this case, but in general around here. For me, even if I'm not on the greatest terms with someone, if they are dealing with a tragedy in their life, I like to think I am willing to offer at least a little bit of support. Can you not at least sympathize to some degree with someone in that situation? They may be a dick, but they deserve support during tough times too. I guess we're just wired differently, and I don't mean to come off sounding all judgey, that's really not my intention.

I do think it's a little irrational to get overly worked up over someone you've never met (or legitimately know outside of a fan/artist meeting). Jenny will deal with whatever is going on and get back to playing shows when or if she feels like it. No amount of worrying from me is going to help her out in any way.

I'm not saying I was unsympathetic or unnecessarily unkind to her. I treated her like I always did, and I even went beyond that, signing a sympathy card and things like that. I tried to be as nice to her as I ever was when she started coming around again after it happened. But I knew a bunch of people who piled in a car and drove 5-6 hours to be with her and her boyfriend's family right after it happened, including my roommate who also never liked her, who told me I was cold and unfeeling for not going. Whereas I felt like going and pretending to be concerned for a person that I never cared about otherwise--and for the family of a person who I had never even met--was hypocritical and disingenuous. In the reverse situation, how would I feel if she had showed up, across an entire state, when someone I cared about had died? I can't say it would have filled me joy; in fact, I probably would have been quite annoyed. Frankly, my roommate seemed to me to be making it more like it was about her--look at how kind and caring and sympathetic I am--than about how our acquaintance and her boyfriend's family were feeling, and that was more appalling to me than my response, which was at least honest. So, judge me however you will. I still feel like I was more in the right than not. If you want to think I'm a terrible person, then I'm fine with that.

And I'm not saying I'm agonizing over what may be going on in Jenny's life. I know I don't know her. I have less concern for her right now that I would be for an equivalent person who was my friend or coworker or whatever. I'm just saying that I do have some concern for her as a person beyond how whatever's going on might affect me, i.e., affect her ability to make new music or play shows or whatever.

bello_returns wrote:
And based on Heather's point, if people can be seriously concerned about the personal life of a musician because they like their music, I don't understand why I can't make a tasteless joke about a musician that I DON'T like. Shouldn't it work both ways?

I actually agree with this, but you seemed to be saying (and forgive me if I'm misunderstanding you) that it was unlikely that people were genuinely concerned for Jenny's well-being, aside from how it would affect them, since they would not be similarly concerned for Kim Kardashian or Lindsay Lohan. Which is the part that I think is bullshit. You can be actually genuinely concerned about the welfare of some people and not others. It is possible!

And I don't really care about Zooey Deschanel and Ben Gibbard, either. Guess what I did about it? Nothing! I read that thread, wondered why anyone cared, shrugged, and then went on my merry way.
TheOtherOne420
Cool Kid
Cool Kid

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 5:54 pm
PostPost subject:

Heather wrote:

I'm not saying I was unsympathetic or unnecessarily unkind to her. I treated her like I always did, and I even went beyond that, signing a sympathy card and things like that. I tried to be as nice to her as I ever was when she started coming around again after it happened. But I knew a bunch of people who piled in a car and drove 5-6 hours to be with her and her boyfriend's family right after it happened, including my roommate who also never liked her, who told me I was cold and unfeeling for not going. Whereas I felt like going and pretending to be concerned for a person that I never cared about otherwise--and for the family of a person who I had never even met--was hypocritical and disingenuous. In the reverse situation, how would I feel if she had showed up, across an entire state, when someone I cared about had died? I can't say it would have filled me joy; in fact, I probably would have been quite annoyed. Frankly, my roommate seemed to me to be making it more like it was about her--look at how kind and caring and sympathetic I am--than about how our acquaintance and her boyfriend's family were feeling, and that was more appalling to me than my response, which was at least honest. So, judge me however you will. I still feel like I was more in the right than not. If you want to think I'm a terrible person, then I'm fine with that.

And I'm not saying I'm agonizing over what may be going on in Jenny's life. I know I don't know her. I have less concern for her right now that I would be for an equivalent person who was my friend or coworker or whatever. I'm just saying that I do have some concern for her as a person beyond how whatever's going on might affect me, i.e., affect her ability to make new music or play shows or whatever.

I should've clarified, the irrational bit was not directed at you at all. I guess it wasn't really directed at anyone, I just tossed it out there.

I do kinda get what you are saying though. It can come off as being disingenuous for someone to suddenly start caring when tragedy strikes. For what it's worth, I don't think you are a terrible person and I'm sorry if that's what my post came off as. I didn't intend that at all. But you do bring up an interesting point where the two of us definitely differ. If some people I only casually knew drove 5 hours to offer their support after a tragedy, I would not be annoyed, I would probably be a little overcome with emotion at the effort and sentiment, no matter their motivation.
bello_returns
Cool Kid
Cool Kid

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 6:01 pm
PostPost subject:

Actually Heather as far as your friend, I think you were 100% in the right, especially considering it was more about her boyfriend than her. I think it would've been insensitive and inappropriate of you to show up when you guys didn't like each other. And had I been in her situation, I'd be furious if someone I didn't like arrived at a time when I was mourning the loss of someone. I hate when people are fake and feign concern because they feel its the right thing to do. You don't necessarily have to be an asshole but you don't need to stick your neck out about it either.

And that's kind of what I meant but not exactly. I didn't mean that it was stupid that more people care about Lindsay Lohan than Jenny Lewis around here, nor did I mean its unusual for people to be concerned about her and if that WAS what I meant, then yes that's bullshit. What I more meant was that we don't know Lindsay Lohan or Jenny Lewis but we do like Jenny Lewis' work and admire her. So my point was that if I had posted in the Zooey Deschanel discussion "who gives a shit", which is the SAME response I would've got had I posted about Lindsay Lohan, people would be saying I'm a dick even though they'd say the same were it about another person they weren't a fan of. So my point was, do not sit there and tell me my joke was tasteless like you're so offended when God knows how many tasteless jokes would've been made about Lindsay Lohan had I posted a topic about that. And I don't even think what I said was that bad. I mean, havent I said much worse around here?? That comment was bello on network television!

EDIT: And just so we're clear I don't care about anyone's divorce famous or otherwise because I think the institution of marriage is a joke that usually doesn't work and I take the "enter at your own risk" philosophy. But that's a WHOLEEEEE other discussion. I won't even go there.
hphan848

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:59 pm
PostPost subject:

Geez.. I'm sorry for posting that Ben and Zooey thread then guys
neverending
Don't Fuck With
Don't Fuck With

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 12:06 am
PostPost subject:

hphan848 wrote:

dude, dont worry about it.

-Emily Heart
hphan848

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 12:25 am
PostPost subject:

neverending wrote:
hphan848 wrote:

dude, dont worry about it.

Oh I don't give a shit. I just thought it was interesting news. Honestly it's better news for us dudes now that Zooey's back on the market. NOW I CAN FULFILL MY DESTINY AND MAKE HER MY WIFE!!!!! MMWAHAHAHAHHAHA!!!
Heather
Posting Machine
Posting Machine

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 12:45 am
PostPost subject:

hphan848 wrote:

Part of my point! I don't care...but that doesn't mean that I think other people shouldn't. That's your concern. I'm not judging. Whatever.
bello_returns
Cool Kid
Cool Kid

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 11:17 am
PostPost subject:

hphan848 wrote:

I wasn't knocking the post, I only brought it up to make a point. If you feel the need to discuss their divorce, feel free. Like Heather, I don't care about it but I see no problem with people discussing it. I feel the same way about all the sports thread. I couldn't care less about sports but for the people who do? Discuss!
ZooeyLewis
all-around quality person

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 11:34 pm
PostPost subject:

So what? Be concerned about whoever you want to whatever degree you wish.

Hell, I'm worried for her and she doesn't even fuckin like me.
sheba24680

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 7:09 am
PostPost subject:

whatatotaldrag wrote:
TheOtherOne420 wrote:

When I first wandered onto this board, I felt like some people looked down on me for not having been a fan since they were playing rinky dink bars for five bucks (those people are long gone by the way).

Oh we're still here. We just lurk and roll our eyes a lot.

i know this is old but LOL Laughing
bello_returns
Cool Kid
Cool Kid

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 6:06 am
PostPost subject:

I just re-read this too. Its one of the more interesting discussions on this forum in recent months. It's sad how much of a graveyard this place has become. And I blame it ALLLLL on that goddamn Johnathan Rice and I STILL hope he loses his voice. In fact, my 24th birthday is in a few weeks and when I blow out those candles, I'm gonna wish for....oh shit, if I tell you, my wish won't come true. Happy Birthday
Heather
Posting Machine
Posting Machine

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 6:58 pm
PostPost subject:

Heather wrote:
Heather wrote:
Hey, does anyone know why Jenny had to cancel the shows? Not to sound like someone's mom or anything, but it makes me worry about her! I hope everything is okay, at least relatively speaking...

I'm still worried.

I'm still worried.
v-rinny
Top Poster
Top Poster

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:27 pm
PostPost subject:

Heather wrote:
Heather wrote:
Heather wrote:

I'm still worried.

I'm still worried.

She recently tweeted this: "Starting to think about rescheduling those I heart CALI dates. #needalittlemorer&r #shitgotreal"

So, it sounds like things are better...but I'm wondering what went on.

am I asleep or awake?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
bello_returns
Cool Kid
Cool Kid

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 12:34 pm
PostPost subject:

Soooooo Adan (F#Minor) played this pretty "awesome" April Fool's Joke on Facebook yesterday. He posted that Jenny had rescheduled her IHeartCali tour dates, posted a fake list of dates for next month with the venues and talked about how stoked he was, with a fake link. I came here to post it for everyone but realized I had been punked and deleted the post immediately.

At least I had those few minutes of excitement... Evil or Very Mad
RKnet Forum Index -> Jenny Lewis All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 3 of 3
Jump to: