My Posts | My Messages | My Profile | Search | Memberlist

X-Mas Cake

RKnet Forum Index -> Rilo Kiley Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kds405
all-around quality person

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 1:14 pm
PostPost subject: X-Mas Cake

Is anyone else surprised that this song doesn't get more recognition? It's definitely one of the best RK songs and a great Christmas song. Come on, the sleigh bells, the harps, when those guitars kick in at the end...classic.
Almost Famous

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 1:58 pm
PostPost subject:

I agree wholeheartedly with the above. Xmas Cake is one of my favorites too, kds405. The lyrics, I think, are also some of the loveliest, most heartbreaking RK has ever written. To wit:

Quote:
You should just give up/ Because our love's become/ Selling secrets to the Russians/ They don't need/ The cold war is on between you and me

and
Quote:
Because what good is seeing if love's not looking back at you?/ And what good is feeling if my hands aren't touching you?

and
Quote:
And another angel came down/ He was wearing only a cloud/ He said, "Sew up the bad that you've done/ Tomorrow, Christmas day comes"

Not just a song for Christmas, though its a beautiful Christmas song, if you get what I mean. And, yes, the sleigh bells are righteous.
delia
Cool Kid
Cool Kid

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 2:46 pm
PostPost subject:

I make a holiday mix every year and hook all my friends up with it. There's a Blue Side (gloomier songs) and a White Side (the festive shit) and this is almost always on the blue side. To date, the only comments I've ever received on Xmas Cake are usually along the lines of, "That one about the cake made me want to kill myself." or "What the fuck is Christmas cake?" Bummer.
Caspar

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 3:52 pm
PostPost subject:

delia wrote:
I make a holiday mix every year and hook all my friends up with it. There's a Blue Side (gloomier songs) and a White Side (the festive shit) and this is almost always on the blue side. To date, the only comments I've ever received on Xmas Cake are usually along the lines of, "That one about the cake made me want to kill myself." or "What the fuck is Christmas cake?" Bummer.

I looooove Xmas Cake but I think the fact that I love it worries my friends.
happyfish
Hot Shit
Hot Shit

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 6:30 pm
PostPost subject:

This is definitely one of my favorite Rilo Kiley songs. It's also one of the saddest. Sad, but very beautiful. I love Jenny's voice in this song, and I love the lyrics.
v-rinny
Top Poster
Top Poster

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 7:11 pm
PostPost subject:

I'm the biggest loser in the world because I STILL don't have that song. Could anyone be a doll and share it? I searched the Requests thread in the Multimedia forum and found people asking for it, but didn't find anyone who uploaded it...

am I asleep or awake?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
happyfish
Hot Shit
Hot Shit

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:33 pm
PostPost subject:

v-rinny wrote:
I'm the biggest loser in the world because I STILL don't have that song. Could anyone be a doll and share it? I searched the Requests thread in the Multimedia forum and found people asking for it, but didn't find anyone who uploaded it...

http://www.hypem.com

enter in xmas cake in the search bar, i found a couple.
v-rinny
Top Poster
Top Poster

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 9:49 pm
PostPost subject:

happyfish wrote:
v-rinny wrote:

http://www.hypem.com

enter in xmas cake in the search bar, i found a couple.

Thank youuuuu!!!

am I asleep or awake?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Sophistry

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 10:37 pm
PostPost subject:

delia wrote:

dude i would love to hear what songs you put on your mix. i love themed mixes haha
pagerkyma

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 11:49 pm
PostPost subject:

omg... this is the saddest song ever. It's like my worst fears summorized into a Christmas song. Wasen't expecting that!
batsonmars

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 3:04 am
PostPost subject:

What a coincidence! I've been listening to this song non-stop lately. Definitely one of Rilo's best songs.

I love the choir vocals...it reminds me of Sarah Blasko, another great singer songwriter. Also, I love the part at the beginning where Jenny says 'it's almost Christmas'.
bello_returns
Cool Kid
Cool Kid

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 5:27 pm
PostPost subject:

I know I'll sound like a horrible fan for this but I have honestly only heard this song once about 5 or 6 years ago. For a while, I scoured the P2P programs for it and never found it so eventually I gave up. Now since you guys made me remember the song, I decided to go on Youtube and listen to it for the first time since then. And man, I mean Jenny has always had a knack for making me feel deliciously sad, but this song just made me want to strangle myself with Christmas lights. I saw myself lying there dead while the lights were flashing in time with the song haha. Its a great song and its definitely slept on. I don't understand why RK just disposes of their unreleased tracks, its not like their bad songs. I can understand why some of the EP songs get ignored but alot of these b-side/non album tracks are very strong. At least Jenny revisits her unreleased material...ehhh whatever.
el rey

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 4:35 pm
PostPost subject:

pagerkyma wrote:
omg... this is the saddest song ever. It's like my worst fears summorized into a Christmas song. Wasen't expecting that!

I think this is probably why it doesn't get more recognition. For a Christmas song it's a hell of a downer. Definitely for the folks who like 'A Christmas Story' over 'It's a Wonderful Life.' Razz
RKnet Forum Index -> Rilo Kiley Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: