rilokiley.net
 
Welcome Guest: Register | Log in
 
My Posts | My Messages | My Profile | Search | Memberlist
 
UTB - What's your rating?
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic
RKnet Forum Index -> Rilo Kiley Discussion Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
View previous topic :: View next topic  

UTB: 1 (bad) - 5 (excellent)
1
8%
 8%  [ 28 ]
2
15%
 15%  [ 51 ]
3
29%
 29%  [ 96 ]
4
30%
 30%  [ 99 ]
5
15%
 15%  [ 50 ]
Total Votes : 324

Author Message
bassclari109
Cool Kid
Cool Kid


Joined: 30 Sep 2005
Posts: 786

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 9:42 pm
PostPost subject:
Reply with quote

nyeacknjny wrote:
I am Bones wrote:
nyeacknjny wrote:
NastyNate wrote:
5 out of 5

This is one of those albums I can listen to entirely, and repeat the whole thing. Different style, but still great songs. And I like that it was mostly Jenny.


When ever someone says less Blake is better the saints cry.




Steve's still the worst RK song, though.


Behind Dejalo, 15, Smoke Detector and Under the Blacklight or course. Very Happy

Beating Dead Horse
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
squirrelnutkin



Joined: 08 Jun 2009
Posts: 52
Location: wadsworth, ohio

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:01 pm
PostPost subject:
Reply with quote

wow, i never knew there was so much hate towards "15." i really like that song. i enjoy this album a lot as a whole, though i don't take it so seriously. but it's upbeat and is nice to put on if i'm driving or whatever. i think jenny's voice is great, and while the songwriting is absolutely great on some songs, it's pretty damn shallow on others. but that's fine. i don't think they take themselves too seriously, which is what makes this okay. plus, when i saw them live they won me over totally, new songs and all.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Caspar
all-around quality person


Joined: 08 May 2009
Posts: 130

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 6:39 pm
PostPost subject:
Reply with quote

squirrelnutkin wrote:
wow, i never knew there was so much hate towards "15." i really like that song. i enjoy this album a lot as a whole, though i don't take it so seriously. but it's upbeat and is nice to put on if i'm driving or whatever. i think jenny's voice is great, and while the songwriting is absolutely great on some songs, it's pretty damn shallow on others. but that's fine. i don't think they take themselves too seriously, which is what makes this okay. plus, when i saw them live they won me over totally, new songs and all.


My sentiments exactly. Have I posted on this thread before? I think I have. Oh well. Also, what's with all the Smoke Detector hate? I know it's not amazingly introspective or anything, but it's a fun song.
_________________
It's so fucking beautiful
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
bello_returns
Cool Kid
Cool Kid


Joined: 09 Feb 2009
Posts: 576
Location: Los Angeles, CA

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 2:51 am
PostPost subject:
Reply with quote

bassclari109 wrote:


wow, super harsh. UTB is great. it's suppose to be fun.

and honestly, since it's going to be 2 years old in August, i think it's time to get over how much you all hate it.


A-FUCKING-men to everything in this statement.

I know in the past on my previous screen name I was a bit notorious for being rude, brash, harsh and the cause of many arguments or whatever it is you want to call it. And I know its been a while since I've been that way since I just didnt have time (or patience) anymore to spend days debating/arguing with other users. I also dont post here much anymore I mostly just pop in and read, but after reading this ongoing thread I cannot hold my tongue (or rather fingers) any longer and I feel I'm going to have to bust out some old school bello_misterioso.

God damn people. Its fucking music for pete's sake. I've come to realize that the real reason people hate this album is simply because its poppier and dancey. You can tell me thats not the reason all you want, but I think its bullshit because its the only thing thats really changed. I am so effing tired of pop music and dance music getting criticized by sad and depressed indie/emo kids (a general statement btw, im not calling any of you and emo kid). Pop and Dance music is just as valid as any other form of music and I think its so arrogant to say something like that. If Rilo Kiley decided to make more accessible music, then everyone needs to GET OVER IT. You are not obligated to listen to them or like them. I didnt hear anyone bitching about Portions For Foxes which was an enormously poppy song, but as soon as they got dancey, people are mad. No one wants to make sad music all the time and I cant understand why someone would want to produce sad music on every album. And if you honestly believed that Rilo Kiley was going to stay the same Takeoffs band that they were in 2001, then thats your bad for thinking that.

I've said this many times and I'll say it ONCE more. Bands who repeat themselves are lame. No lame as FUCK. Being a GOOD musician means evolving and changing and expanding your sound. And honestly I'm not as annoyed at the people who say that they dont mind the change in sound, they just genuinely dont like the songs. But the people who are mad because its different from everything else are just annoying. Its 2 years old, the album is what it is, lets move on with life. No matter how much you gripe about how "bad" it is, its not going to change. UTB is NOT as different from everything else as people are making it. Close Call is still very similar in sound to some of their older things, as is Silver Lining, Under The Blacklight, Dreamworld, The Angels Hung Around etc. Its also really funny to me how people are so loving and accepting of the EP which quality wise is of far less quality than UTB but everyone loves the EP. Dont get me wrong I love the EP as well but its definitely of a lesser quality.

I am not trying to change anyones opinions nor am I even trying to say that my opinion is correct. I am just sooooo tired of this discussion. It runs in circles and clearly no one is going to all agree on one thing. Its high time people started trying to expand their musical horizons and stop being so locked into one thing. I respect RK for being so bold as to go left field and I'm quite sure they knew that alot of their elitist fans would kick dirt on them for it but they did it anyway. I love UTB just like I love all the other albums and I wish people would quit hating on it. If you dont like it, fine, but why 2 years later still bitch and moan about how its not what you wanted. I know its popular to say that you make music for your fans and the fans come first but that is ALSO bullshit. Music is an expression of one's self and if oneself isnt feeling sad or introspective at the moment the why should they be obligated to make that kind of music. The musicians personal expression should come first and the fans should come second. If the two dont happen to be a match then ohhhh wellllll
_________________
Beauty fades. Dumb is forever.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
nyeacknjny
Top Poster
Top Poster


Joined: 02 Aug 2004
Posts: 1373
Location: Philadelphia

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 8:26 pm
PostPost subject:
Reply with quote

bello_returns wrote:
bassclari109 wrote:


wow, super harsh. UTB is great. it's suppose to be fun.

and honestly, since it's going to be 2 years old in August, i think it's time to get over how much you all hate it.


A-FUCKING-men to everything in this statement.

I know in the past on my previous screen name I was a bit notorious for being rude, brash, harsh and the cause of many arguments or whatever it is you want to call it. And I know its been a while since I've been that way since I just didnt have time (or patience) anymore to spend days debating/arguing with other users. I also dont post here much anymore I mostly just pop in and read, but after reading this ongoing thread I cannot hold my tongue (or rather fingers) any longer and I feel I'm going to have to bust out some old school bello_misterioso.

God damn people. Its fucking music for pete's sake. I've come to realize that the real reason people hate this album is simply because its poppier and dancey. You can tell me thats not the reason all you want, but I think its bullshit because its the only thing thats really changed. I am so effing tired of pop music and dance music getting criticized by sad and depressed indie/emo kids (a general statement btw, im not calling any of you and emo kid). Pop and Dance music is just as valid as any other form of music and I think its so arrogant to say something like that. If Rilo Kiley decided to make more accessible music, then everyone needs to GET OVER IT. You are not obligated to listen to them or like them. I didnt hear anyone bitching about Portions For Foxes which was an enormously poppy song, but as soon as they got dancey, people are mad. No one wants to make sad music all the time and I cant understand why someone would want to produce sad music on every album. And if you honestly believed that Rilo Kiley was going to stay the same Takeoffs band that they were in 2001, then thats your bad for thinking that.

I've said this many times and I'll say it ONCE more. Bands who repeat themselves are lame. No lame as FUCK. Being a GOOD musician means evolving and changing and expanding your sound. And honestly I'm not as annoyed at the people who say that they dont mind the change in sound, they just genuinely dont like the songs. But the people who are mad because its different from everything else are just annoying. Its 2 years old, the album is what it is, lets move on with life. No matter how much you gripe about how "bad" it is, its not going to change. UTB is NOT as different from everything else as people are making it. Close Call is still very similar in sound to some of their older things, as is Silver Lining, Under The Blacklight, Dreamworld, The Angels Hung Around etc. Its also really funny to me how people are so loving and accepting of the EP which quality wise is of far less quality than UTB but everyone loves the EP. Dont get me wrong I love the EP as well but its definitely of a lesser quality.

I am not trying to change anyones opinions nor am I even trying to say that my opinion is correct. I am just sooooo tired of this discussion. It runs in circles and clearly no one is going to all agree on one thing. Its high time people started trying to expand their musical horizons and stop being so locked into one thing. I respect RK for being so bold as to go left field and I'm quite sure they knew that alot of their elitist fans would kick dirt on them for it but they did it anyway. I love UTB just like I love all the other albums and I wish people would quit hating on it. If you dont like it, fine, but why 2 years later still bitch and moan about how its not what you wanted. I know its popular to say that you make music for your fans and the fans come first but that is ALSO bullshit. Music is an expression of one's self and if oneself isnt feeling sad or introspective at the moment the why should they be obligated to make that kind of music. The musicians personal expression should come first and the fans should come second. If the two dont happen to be a match then ohhhh wellllll


Ok, I'll say it again. I know 'its supposed to be fun' but that doesn't change the fact that to me its a sub par record. I'm not going to just say 'ok it's good now' because 2 years have passed. I'm all for experimenting with your sound but that doesn't mean because they do that it's automatically good and yes dance music may be valid music but it doesn't mean I have to like it and I (any many other it seems) sure as hell don't want it in my Rilo Kiley records. They don't have to be sad and 'emo' all the time, I just want honest and real in my music. We get enough 3rd person character pieces in Jennys records. There's more than enough there satisfy my needs for that. For those who like it I'm glad for you, I really am. If you find enjoyment in something than it's always good but it dosen't make me wrong, close minded or ill informed for thinking it's just not that good. It might sound like i am arguing but i'm not. I respect your opinion I just want people to respect mine.
_________________
http://www.myspace.com/towncalledluckey
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
bello_returns
Cool Kid
Cool Kid


Joined: 09 Feb 2009
Posts: 576
Location: Los Angeles, CA

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 4:38 pm
PostPost subject:
Reply with quote

Its not your opinion that I don't respect and again, my comments were not aimed at you. I'm just annoyed with this entire discussion.

How is UTB not honest or real? Just because Jenny decided to write in the 3rd person does not make it any less real. If A Better Son/Daughter was written in the 3rd person (sometimes in the morning SHE is petrified and can't move) what difference would it make. NONE! It still means the same thing and would still be an awesme song.

And if you don't like dance music, fine, but who cares if it comes from RK or Madonna. So basically your saying that you're ok with dance music as long as its not produced by your favorite indie band? That's ridiculous. If Hitler had painted the Mona Lisa rather than Da Vinci would that make the painting any less amazing? No, its still the same damn painting. Its one thing to dislike the album but its another to criticize it for all these lame reasons. UTB is not sub par, its just different (and not THAT different IMO).

I personally don't care for Three Hopeful Thoughts as much as a lot of people do but I don't say that its sub par or that its not written well or that its not honest and real. It just simply doesn't appeal to me as much as other RK songs. And the fact that all these people are saying that they really like the acoustic versions just prove that the album is not "sub par" its just not produced the way they'd like it to be. If the album was really "sub par" then no one would like the songs no matter what form they were in.

As I said, I don't have a problem with people not liking this great album, but I do have a problem with people pulling these lame reasons out of the sky as to why its a lesser record. Just because the production or lyrics are not as pleasing to YOUR ear doesn't mean its badly written or badly produced. One thing I can say about UTB that I can't say about any other Rilo record is that about 99% of the tracks are STRONG tracks that can stand on its own and doesn't need the support of an entire album. No two tracks sound alike musically or lyrically. I would say this about Execution but I feel eoat is much better as an album and the individual tracks don't has as much power when split apart. And although toal is probably my fave rilo album there are a lot of "forgettable" songs there. Forgettable as in, they are much more ambiguous and mild.

To sum it all up, if you hate UTB, oh well, but don't call it all kinds of things that it clearly isnt just because you don't like it.
_________________
Beauty fades. Dumb is forever.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
TheOtherOne420
Cool Kid
Cool Kid


Joined: 31 Aug 2005
Posts: 977
Location: Boulder, CO

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 5:13 pm
PostPost subject:
Reply with quote

Bello, just let it go. People are going to hate on this album until another RK album comes out (if another one comes out). Sure, some people were destined to dislike UTB, but who really cares what they think about it? Who cares what anyone else thinks about music anyway? No one's going to talk me into or out of liking any music, it is what it is.

I am amused to see shades of the old Bello around here, it's been pretty quiet of late.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
bello_returns
Cool Kid
Cool Kid


Joined: 09 Feb 2009
Posts: 576
Location: Los Angeles, CA

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 5:35 pm
PostPost subject:
Reply with quote

TheOtherOne420 wrote:
Bello, just let it go. People are going to hate on this album until another RK album comes out (if another one comes out). Sure, some people were destined to dislike UTB, but who really cares what they think about it? Who cares what anyone else thinks about music anyway? No one's going to talk me into or out of liking any music, it is what it is.

I am amused to see shades of the old Bello around here, it's been pretty quiet of late.


That was why I'm so annoyed in the first place. I'm so tired of hearing people bash this album. Its coming on 2 years in August and people are still whining about how its not what they wanted. Well tough rocks, we don't always get what we want. I was just browsing the forum and saw the past few posts and was so annoyed that people are STILL complaining about this. Fuck, I thought IIIII bitched a lot.

Also, I'm not trying to talk anyone into liking this album. I couldn't care less if people are too blind to see how good this album is. I actually pity them. I'm just tired of coming on this forum and reading people's gripes about the 3 black sheep (dejalo, 15, and smoke detector). Please just let it go. I don't care that people don't like them its just aggravating to keep hearing about it because no one is offering any thing new to the discussion, its just bitch bitch bitch.

And yeah the change is only temporary. Trust me I don't intend on getting to any extensive debates on this forum anytime soon. Unfortunately I just don't have as much free time on my hands lol. But I'm glad you were amused.
_________________
Beauty fades. Dumb is forever.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
nyeacknjny
Top Poster
Top Poster


Joined: 02 Aug 2004
Posts: 1373
Location: Philadelphia

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 6:48 pm
PostPost subject:
Reply with quote

bello_returns wrote:
TheOtherOne420 wrote:
Bello, just let it go. People are going to hate on this album until another RK album comes out (if another one comes out). Sure, some people were destined to dislike UTB, but who really cares what they think about it? Who cares what anyone else thinks about music anyway? No one's going to talk me into or out of liking any music, it is what it is.

I am amused to see shades of the old Bello around here, it's been pretty quiet of late.


That was why I'm so annoyed in the first place. I'm so tired of hearing people bash this album. Its coming on 2 years in August and people are still whining about how its not what they wanted. Well tough rocks, we don't always get what we want. I was just browsing the forum and saw the past few posts and was so annoyed that people are STILL complaining about this. Fuck, I thought IIIII bitched a lot.

Also, I'm not trying to talk anyone into liking this album. I couldn't care less if people are too blind to see how good this album is. I actually pity them. I'm just tired of coming on this forum and reading people's gripes about the 3 black sheep (dejalo, 15, and smoke detector). Please just let it go. I don't care that people don't like them its just aggravating to keep hearing about it because no one is offering any thing new to the discussion, its just bitch bitch bitch.

And yeah the change is only temporary. Trust me I don't intend on getting to any extensive debates on this forum anytime soon. Unfortunately I just don't have as much free time on my hands lol. But I'm glad you were amused.


It's a thread on peoples opinion on the record so of course there are going to be varying opinions on the record. Bello we both seem to feel the same way about having to repeat ourselves and I, like you, don't plan on dabating extensively on the subject but it just seem like you won't let go of the fact that people don't like the record. Like I said before my opinion is my own so don't "pity me" because that would make it seem like i'm blind to somthing. I'm not. I don't like Madonna (in fact i hate her) So I don't want dance music from her OR rilo kiley. But i will say there is a difference between getting dance music from someone like Britney and listening to Rk. I look to RK for more heartfelt, honest relatable music, not pop music. I love Portions for Foxes, I love the EP but the difference is that those songs are mixed in with songs like Does He Love You, I Never, Absence of God, Asshole, Sword ECT. UTB is all pop blandness. I like it for what it is but the band is capable of so much more lyrically and musically.

So I close with this: I'm not wrong for not liking UTB. I'm not close minded, missing something, not getting it, stupid, against experimentation in music, hate pop music, only want sad songs, only griping about 3 songs, bitching to bitch. I just don't like the stupid record. It's a sub par record by a superior band and in my opinion every thing they have released is miles above this album. Miles! No one has to agree but that my opinion and I'm a' stickin' to it.

Until next time my friends 'goodnight and godbless'.
_________________
http://www.myspace.com/towncalledluckey
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
ph529
all-around quality person


Joined: 04 Aug 2007
Posts: 307

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 7:16 pm
PostPost subject:
Reply with quote

just like to say that every track on Executions is amazing on its own. I just can't friggin' believe they all happen to be on one album.
_________________
Why are there bees in my watermelon? What a sight.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
bello_returns
Cool Kid
Cool Kid


Joined: 09 Feb 2009
Posts: 576
Location: Los Angeles, CA

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 7:42 pm
PostPost subject:
Reply with quote

nyeacknjny wrote:

It's a thread on peoples opinion on the record so of course there are going to be varying opinions on the record. Bello we both seem to feel the same way about having to repeat ourselves and I, like you, don't plan on dabating extensively on the subject but it just seem like you won't let go of the fact that people don't like the record. Like I said before my opinion is my own so don't "pity me" because that would make it seem like i'm blind to somthing. I'm not. I don't like Madonna (in fact i hate her) So I don't want dance music from her OR rilo kiley. But i will say there is a difference between getting dance music from someone like Britney and listening to Rk. I look to RK for more heartfelt, honest relatable music, not pop music. I love Portions for Foxes, I love the EP but the difference is that those songs are mixed in with songs like Does He Love You, I Never, Absence of God, Asshole, Sword ECT. UTB is all pop blandness. I like it for what it is but the band is capable of so much more lyrically and musically.

So I close with this: I'm not wrong for not liking UTB. I'm not close minded, missing something, not getting it, stupid, against experimentation in music, hate pop music, only want sad songs, only griping about 3 songs, bitching to bitch. I just don't like the stupid record. It's a sub par record by a superior band and in my opinion every thing they have released is miles above this album. Miles! No one has to agree but that my opinion and I'm a' stickin' to it.

Until next time my friends 'goodnight and godbless'.



You are being defensive about something that I didnt attack you for. This was directed at everyone who is still complaining about UTB 2 years later, not people who dont like the album.

There is a difference between offering your opinion and bitching and complaining. I think the opinions have just turned into whining and its really annoy. What more can you say negatively about UTB that hasnt already been said? It just seems like people are not genuinely stating why they dislike the album its just a big "dejalo sucks" fest. Its getting old. Come on, this is BELLO MISTERIOSO saying to let it go and drop it.

And if everyone is entitled to their own opinion like everyone is screaming at me, then I am entitled to the opinion that this entire discussion is now pointless.
_________________
Beauty fades. Dumb is forever.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
bello_returns
Cool Kid
Cool Kid


Joined: 09 Feb 2009
Posts: 576
Location: Los Angeles, CA

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 7:45 pm
PostPost subject:
Reply with quote

ph529 wrote:
just like to say that every track on Executions is amazing on its own. I just can't friggin' believe they all happen to be on one album.


Every track is amazing, I concur. However I feel that Execution is best experienced as a full album and that listening to the individual songs is like listening to a piece of something bigger thats amazing. Especially with the ATHICTR to tie everything together. As opposed to UTB, which I feel like every song is a strong song by itself and isnt really complimented by the support of an album.
_________________
Beauty fades. Dumb is forever.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Caspar
all-around quality person


Joined: 08 May 2009
Posts: 130

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 12:36 am
PostPost subject:
Reply with quote

Actually, I have a grammatical problem with "Dejalo." Jenny says, "Dejalo, nuestra cosa," which translates literally as "Leave it, our thing." I read somewhere that it's supposed to mean "Leave it alone, it's our thing." Is it colloquial Spanish, or just incorrect?
_________________
It's so fucking beautiful
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
RKnet Forum Index -> Rilo Kiley Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Post new topic   Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7
Jump to:  

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum