Rilo Kiley show history project

RKnet Forum Index -> Rilo Kiley Discussion Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lostandfound24
Cool Kid
Cool Kid

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 2:18 am
PostPost subject:

That's awesome. For some reason the title "Cousin Cousin" REALLY puts me off. I don't know why.
Gav
Gangsta Mack
Gangsta Mack

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 12:52 pm
PostPost subject:

probably because it's close to "Kissing Cousins" which is gross.
but yeah, i'm taking the guy's word for it that it was a super beautiful song.
apexsensation
The Shit
The Shit

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 9:46 am
PostPost subject:

I wonder if maybe anyone has a chance to speak to them on this tour if they could ask about the song or about any potentially unreleased songs that they have.

I'm now on Facebook, and will probably add you if you ask.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
southboundpachyderm
Top Poster
Top Poster

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 4:21 pm
PostPost subject:

Do you ever feel bad for the band, and really, celebrities in general, because it's virtually impossible for them to leave anything in the past, as there are people who try to find out every little thing? I'm no less guilty of this than anyone else on the board, I just think about it sometimes. Like, it must suck if they want to just abandon something from their past, because they've grown, but screaming teenagers won't let them. Like, say, for instance, i dunno, fucking child acting careers!!! and glendora!!!! i would not be able to keep my cool in their posishes. i'd lash out. "enough with the fucking glendora. you're a bunch of fucking morons." but you know, i ain't they and they ain't me.
Gav
Gangsta Mack
Gangsta Mack

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 8:44 pm
PostPost subject:

southboundpachyderm wrote:
Do you ever feel bad for the band, and really, celebrities in general, because it's virtually impossible for them to leave anything in the past, as there are people who try to find out every little thing? I'm no less guilty of this than anyone else on the board, I just think about it sometimes. Like, it must suck if they want to just abandon something from their past, because they've grown, but screaming teenagers won't let them. Like, say, for instance, i dunno, fucking child acting careers!!! and glendora!!!! i would not be able to keep my cool in their posishes. i'd lash out. "enough with the fucking glendora. you're a bunch of fucking morons." but you know, i ain't they and they ain't me.

somebody watched this week's southpark
Malomakaio
Posting Machine
Posting Machine

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 5:21 pm
PostPost subject:

Gav wrote:
southboundpachyderm wrote:

somebody watched this week's southpark

that one was laaame
southboundpachyderm
Top Poster
Top Poster

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 6:05 pm
PostPost subject:

I don't watch south park, actually! how was it relevant to my post??
Gav
Gangsta Mack
Gangsta Mack

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 6:52 am
PostPost subject:

[my above post was not made by me, but rather someone using my computer.]
but the latest South Park involved Britney Spears being hounded to an extreme degree.

I agree it's lame to shout out for old songs they really don't want to play anymore.

However, my little live show info archive project isn't meant to be taken that way at all. Anyone who's bothered to read thru this whole thread has gotta be a big enough fan to know it's a dick move to shout "Pinksy!" at Blake and shit like that.
southboundpachyderm
Top Poster
Top Poster

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 3:22 pm
PostPost subject:

Gav wrote:
[my above post was not made by me, but rather someone using my computer.]
but the latest South Park involved Britney Spears being hounded to an extreme degree.

I agree it's lame to shout out for old songs they really don't want to play anymore.

However, my little live show info archive project isn't meant to be taken that way at all. Anyone who's bothered to read thru this whole thread has gotta be a big enough fan to know it's a dick move to shout "Pinksy!" at Blake and shit like that.

Ok, time for me to back up...

I was in no way criticizing this project. When I first saw it, I was enamored. I think I posted this before, but I took a half-ass try at a "project" like this, but caved in when archive.org failed to load old calender pages from the Whiskey A Go-go site. Needless to say, I give up easily.

I was just thinking about this little song that existed somewhere sometime, and I thought "man, that sucks that I might never get to hear it. it's almost not fair." and that's what started the whole succession of thoughts: "cousin cousin" can't just be a vague memory for rk, because someone retained a memory of it. even if they only played it that one time, and that one dude remembered. it exists now, if only in name. it's just weird for me to think about because there's so much shit that i can forget about, and no one would ever remind me. in other words, there is probably no "cousin cousin" in my past. so i can only imagine.

but no no....this project rocks ass.
bello_misterioso
Out Of Touch

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 11:12 pm
PostPost subject:

Gav wrote:

Was that his name on Salute Your Shorts? I didnt watch that show soooo...yeah.

I always wondered how Jenny would react if someone screamed "AAAAAAH!!!! HE TOUCHED MY BREAST!!!" or "GET THE STAR JIMMY!! THE STAR!!" I think that would be kind of awkward...
apexsensation
The Shit
The Shit

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:25 am
PostPost subject:

bello_misterioso wrote:
Gav wrote:

Was that his name on Salute Your Shorts? I didnt watch that show soooo...yeah.

I always wondered how Jenny would react if someone screamed "AAAAAAH!!!! HE TOUCHED MY BREAST!!!" or "GET THE STAR JIMMY!! THE STAR!!" I think that would be kind of awkward...

Fortunately, these says seem to have really disappeared, which is surprising, because it happened more when the fanbase was smaller.

I think it's because very few interviews mention their acting careers, and even those that do don't center around it. I remember a time when that's all you read about them.

I'm now on Facebook, and will probably add you if you ask.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Gav
Gangsta Mack
Gangsta Mack

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 5:09 pm
PostPost subject: Re: Rilo Kiley show history project

Gav wrote:

??/??/?? Los Angeles, CA, The Smell [acoustic show. w/ Alex Greenwald]

This was an acoustic show at a music venue / art gallery called The Smell in downtown Los Angeles (247 So. Main St.)
Alex Greenwald (of Phantom Planet) also played a set. Happened sometime around '98-'00? Might be listed in a local publication's concert listings. Maybe an old school Phantom Planet fan would know the date.
Justine says, "I went to a Smell acoustic show in maybe 2000, where Alex opened. I got the friends EP and a t-shirt with the disembodied faces of 2 old men on it and RILO KILEY [I still have the shirt but have since tie-dyed it]. I kept pretty meticulous blogs back then so I can check for the date, but this is probably a later one. A friend of mine was also around the rk kids during these days and might have more info... I'll let him know about your project. I also have some info regarding the early days. I went to most [maybe all] of the LA show dates for a while in 2000 - 2001 etc. I also have a few original promo pics/ the original friends EP/ old ticket stubs/ stickers with the old possum graffic/ some Rilo Kiley undies from the Take Offs and Landings CD release at the Knitting Factory etc."
There's an old Phantom Planet mailing list that was real popular around 1999-2000.. I'll bet that if someone could search the message archives, they could find info on some shows Rilo and PP played together (such as the acoustic show with Alex Greenwald at The Smell). But the catch is you have to already be a member to read the archives. I even tracked down the list owner and she can't remember her password to login (and approve new members), so basically no new members can sign up.

Are you a member of this mailing list?
http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/phantom_planet/

If so, you can do us a favor by searching the archives for Rilo Kiley.. please copy/paste anything you find regarding relevant shows (including dates) and email/pm me or simply post here. Thanks!

An update for this show thanks to altdotcom (Jason)..
Quote:
Hey, i don't know how i'm just now seeing this thread about all the shows, but anywho, i was at that show at the Smell. i don't remember the specific date but it had to be sometime between late september and mid-december 2000. i had just moved to LA and was crashing at a friend's place during that time, and that's when the show was. i also remember it being on a wednesday? it was quite random. RK had a residency at Spaceland playing every monday night for a month. at one of those shows i met a girl who was friends with them (ended up being Morgan. random!) and she told me they were playing the Smell just 2 days from then. i think i remember looking again in the LA Weekly and seeing it listed after all in the tiny text. no actual ad for the Smell.

i think there were only about 10 people at the show, not including the band. and being in a huge open space room (maybe 20 by 30 feet?) it was a little awkward. everyone was either in the back or against the side. i can't remember any songs played particularly but i remember it being very similar to what was being played at Spaceland for around that time... so nothing out of the ordinary. but it was a solid show. I do remember at one point Blake coming off the "stage" (if you could call a 6" increase from the floor a stage) and towards the middle of the room jamming during one song while facing the band. probably Science vs. Romance.

and i remember Alex's solo set melting my heart. it was all non-Phantom Planet songs. maybe 5 or 6 songs on both guitar and keyboard.

So Rilo's set wasn't acoustic after all? Nice to narrow down the date to Fall 2000.. hope we can nail down the exact date sometime.
Gav
Gangsta Mack
Gangsta Mack

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:57 pm
PostPost subject:

Ok, un-stickying this after a few years without a post. but as always, yeah, let me know if you have any info on early shows not on the list (or early recordings not in circulation). Thanks!
RKnet Forum Index -> Rilo Kiley Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: