Welcome Guest: Register | Log in

My Posts | My Messages | My Profile | Search | Memberlist

The diet and exercise thread

RKnet Forum Index -> General Discussion Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
L

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 4:28 pm
PostPost subject: The diet and exercise thread

For those of us who have a little or a lot to lose, or those of us who have lost weight and want to offer encouragement, or those who just want to eat healthier and get into better shape.

As you can see in this recent picture of me with Jason taken at the Philly show, I'm tall and quite large.

Today I visited this site http://www.nhlbisupport.com/bmi/ and calculated my BMI. My height is 6 foot. My weight, at its highest, was 350 pounds - which made me 47.5 on the BMI scale, which is quite obese. My father was six foot tall and also very large. One of my brothers is also tall and large (the other is just tall, but he goes to the gym and has a very active lifestyle). Also, I like to eat and I don't get nearly enough exercise.

I was going to weight watchers over the summer, and lost about thirty pounds so far on that - but I kinda fell off the wagon when we had a home plumbing disaster that meant we had to evacuate our house and eat out for an entire month while it was being repaired. I don't know how much weight I regained from that- I've been kind of wary about stepping on the scale.

As soon as I get over this sinus infection, I'm going to rejoin weight watchers, and try to start incorporating some exercise into my daily routine. As I have back and health problems, I need to be careful what kinds of exercise I do, but I figure some stretching and walking and the like are a good place to start. My main reasons for wanting to lose weight are to be healthier and live longer and the like - I'm not particularly concerned with the appearance aspect of being fat, I think people of all sizes are just fine by me. I'm not embarrassed by being fat , but I would like to be able to fit into more concert shirts. Just to give you an idea of my perspective at the start of all this.

So how about you?
Malomakaio
Posting Machine
Posting Machine

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 4:36 pm
PostPost subject:

i put some weight on over the past year and a half (thanks to turning 21,developing a love for beer and not having as active a job). i've lost some, but need to lose another thirty lbs. before i'm at what i should be. i'm 6'4". I'd like to lose it by January. it's hard to be in school and not have the funds to buy your own groceries, so you have to go with what the parents buy (crap and stuff my nephew likes). but that shouldn't be an excuse. haha
rknet
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 4:54 pm
PostPost subject:

I think the important part is just to make it part of your routine and stick to it. Don't allow yourself to cheat.

All Summer I've been riding my bike a mile to get my lunch, then riding another half mile to a park to eat it, than another 1.5 miles back. My lunch sizes are a lot smaller and a lot healthier than they used to be.

Entertain yourself as much as you can while exercising. For walks or bike rides I use my iPod. For my treadmill I have a TV right in front of it with an old Nintendo. It's a great distraction from the actual work of exercising and makes time go by a lot quicker.

Also, anytime I go to a place with a large parking lot (movies, mall shopping, etc) I park in the back. Leave the spaces up front for the old timers. If I'm going up a couple flights in a building I use the stairs rather than the elevator.

For food, I guess go with more natural ingredients. Frozen dinners and take out are no good... although this is consistently my biggest mistake because I suck at cooking. I usually feel bad after eating crap and try to do extra biking or hiking to make up for it.

I'm so bummed that Winter is coming because it means less outdoor activities and less fun exercise. Sad
nach heart
Posting Machine
Posting Machine

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 4:56 pm
PostPost subject:

Thanks for making this thread, L. I've also struggled with my weight for some time. My whole life actually. I lost about 30-40lbs last spring. I kept it off for a good long time until recently when my weight crept over the 300 mark again. I've been really depressed over it, especially over the past week. So I'm trying to diet again. Its so hard to diet though when you're an unemployed college student. I can't really afford to buy health food. I can't afford to buy much food at all, really. So it's always the cheap basics. Pasta is very popular around here. I know it's not good to eat pasta all the time but its something that I don't see myself giving up. I love it too much. I just need to not eat so much.

L, do you like Weight Watchers? How much is it? I've been thinking about joining up with them for a while. A nice community of others going through the same thing is really what I need, I think. Something to keep me motivated.

Anyone who's looking to calorie count, this site is very very helpful.

http://www.fitday.com/

It's a free site that helps you chart your caloric intake and excersize. It shows you how many calories you burn every day and helps you keep track of your goals.

As far as excersize, for me.. I don't get a lot. I do like to go on walks but I'm not a fast walker so I don't ever feel like I'm actually burning calories. I used ot go to Curves but found the work out to be limiting and boring. Also our Curves closed down. As far as I know, there aren't any other gyms around here. Not that I would have the cash to join one anyway. There is one at my school but like I said, money is an issue. Plus I don't have enough time in between classes to use it, shower and eat lunch. And I only go to class two times a week (and don't want to drive out more than that since it's a half hour drive there and a half hour drive back.).

I'm hoping I can find/buy a bike sometime this fall/winter and get into riding it as often as possible.
Malomakaio
Posting Machine
Posting Machine

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 4:58 pm
PostPost subject:

totally. just walking and watching what you eat can get you far. just like Kevin said, parking the car further away and walking a couple hundred feet extra helps as well. swimming is excellent for shedding pounds quick.
shelma
Initial Friend
Initial Friend

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 5:03 pm
PostPost subject:

I lost about 25 pounds last year by simply cooking my own food. Eating out is a big weakness for me.
nach heart
Posting Machine
Posting Machine

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 5:08 pm
PostPost subject:

Me too. Whenever I get money I always think, "Oh let's go somewhere to eat." Which is bad for my belly and my wallet.
tw2113
Cool Kid
Cool Kid

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 5:15 pm
PostPost subject:

I'll post my success story so far.

May of 2006 I was in the 230-240 range. Right now, I am in the 195-200 range.

The ways I lost it was by walking to one of my jobs each day I worked(2 miles round trip), bring water with me to any job I had(2 jobs total), cut back on pop by having the water with me instead, and actively try to limit what and how much I ate.

The combination helped me shed that 30-40lbs. I'm still working to lose 10-30lbs more, but I've done a nice job so far.

Tips:

--WATER WATER WATER.
--If you do go to fast food, and get a combo meal, don't take the free refill of pop.
--Order smaller sizes when you go out for fast food
--Use medium plates when making your own dinner, that way you think you have a full plate but portions will be smaller.
--Walk wherever you can, especially if it's nice out and you have some spare time
--More water
Malomakaio
Posting Machine
Posting Machine

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 5:18 pm
PostPost subject:

yeah, if you drink soda often, just cutting that out is HUGE. or any super sugared drinks for that matter. and of course, too many carbohydrates is still a bad idea.
letsfeelinfinite
Top Poster
Top Poster

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 5:32 pm
PostPost subject:

People get mad at me when I say I need to lose weight because I don't have a weight problem. It really is a self-esteem thing for me, though. I know I don't actually NEED to lose weight, but I grew up as a beanpole and now that I'm 20 lbs. heavier and curvier, I'd like to take a bit of it off.

I'm not anorexic or anything, though- I'm all about doing it the right way. Really, I'm just out of shape. I went out and bought a pair of running shoes a few weeks ago and I've been running more. It's nice for me to take my iPod with me because it gives me a rhythym to dictate my speed and a goal for how long I can run (eg: "Just wait until the end of the song/album/playlist and then you can walk!") Sweets really are my downfall, but I've found that having fresh fruit around really helps with that. In addition, I've told myself no more pop- it's not so pretty on my teeth and my butt doesn't need it either.

I'd like to have some regimen like waking up in the morning and doing 20 sit-ups before I shower, but I'm too lethargic when I wake up for that.
Malomakaio
Posting Machine
Posting Machine

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 5:33 pm
PostPost subject:

haha i do that with my ipod too.
L

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 5:46 pm
PostPost subject:

Kevin - I never thought about ninetendo while exercising. That actually sounds fun! Problem around here is space, though- we have a small house.

Does anyone know if they have portable treadmills or exercise bikes that fold up small or something? Haha.. I know so little about these things, I know.

Jen - weight watchers was awesome, I can't wait to go back. I learned a lot of good tips at the meetings. I joined through the monthly pass program - it's forty dollars a month, and includes their online etools which are SO great. You can just type in the food, and it looks up the points value and everything, and deducts it from your daily total. So easy. And they have a lot of good recipes there and all too. And as far as pasta goes, I have switched from regular pasta to whole grain pastas - makes a big difference. Also, if you can make a homemade sauce, that saves a lot of calories, too, and is healthier for you.

I don't drink any sugary drinks. Primarily I drink Crystal Light - but I need to start remembering to drink pure water every day, too. I have a big weight watchers cup that I used to fill with water to drink from - I have to start doing that again.

I need to cut out sugary cereal again. For a while, I was doing really well eating multi-grain cereals instead, but they're SO much more expensive than a cheap bag of knock-off coco puffs. Once I switched from white to multgrain bread, I would NOT go back ever. Multigrain bread is so much tastier, and more filling and nutritious. My favorite is petridge farms 9 grain natural.

I also learned that a lot of canned soup is REALLY bad for you. Lots of salt and nasty things. Recently, progresso came out with a line of soups that are zero points on weight watchers! I haven't tried them yet, but I want to. I would check first though to make sure they don't have that super high salt content.
nach heart
Posting Machine
Posting Machine

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 5:46 pm
PostPost subject:

letsfeelinfinite wrote:
People get mad at me when I say I need to lose weight because I don't have a weight problem. It really is a self-esteem thing for me, though. I know I don't actually NEED to lose weight, but I grew up as a beanpole and now that I'm 20 lbs. heavier and curvier, I'd like to take a bit of it off.

I just want to say that, though i totally respect your decision to want to lose weight, after seeing your picture on myspace I must say you are beautiful and look amazing the way you are! Seriously you hot. Very Happy
L

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 5:47 pm
PostPost subject:

Also, it makes me super happy to know I'm not the only one who is struggling with this. Heart

We can all support each other.
nach heart
Posting Machine
Posting Machine

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 5:50 pm
PostPost subject:

L wrote:
Recently, progresso came out with a line of soups that are zero points on weight watchers! I haven't tried them yet, but I want to. I would check first though to make sure they don't have that super high salt content.

If they're anything like their other healthy soups, don't bother. That is some of the most tasteless junk I've ever eaten.

I know that someone said something about frozen foods being bad news but I just wanted to say that a lot of Lean Cuisine meals are actually QUITE delicious. Back when I lost all my weight I was eating about 3 or 4 of them a week with steamed veggies on the side and man. They have some good shit. They have some butternut squash ravioli that I could eat forever.
L

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 5:58 pm
PostPost subject:

Oh, and my favorite three diet cooking accessories...

I have a glass baking dish with a lid that I use to steam fresh veggies in the microwave. It's super easy, and it keeps all the nutrients in and makes the veggies taste so good. You just put vegetables in with a little bit of water (just enough to cover the bottom of the dish so that it makes steam), then put them in for 5-10 minutes. You have to experiment a little depending on the size and thickness of your veggies and how much you put in. A whole big bunch of broccoli takes about 10 minutes, whereas a handful of brussels sprouts is closer to five.

A george forman type grill. I have a generic knockoff because I didn't want to pay for the name. This is GREAT for meats as it cooks all the fat and grease right out of them. Grilling some boneless chicken breast or lean pork brushed in a little bit of olive oil and spices - delicious.

A sandwich press. A couple of slices of lean turkey and a piece of low-fat cheese on a multigrain bread, with a little bit of zero calorie butter spray on the outside - yummy. Kinda like making your own Hot Pocket, all warm and gooey.

Okay, this is making me hungry. Stopping now. Smile
mysoldiergirl

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 6:01 pm
PostPost subject:

My best advice, to anyone:

Drink more water, no more soda!

Don't tell yourself that certain foods are good and bad. You have to eat everything you like or you will lose your mind.

I highly recommend the book Intuitive Eating; the authors' names escape me right now (and I am too lazy to get up and see). It's not a diet book; its whole philosophy is about eating what you want, when you want, and stopping when you're actually full.

And lastly: moderation. Life (or your diet) isn't over if you eat ice cream. You just can't have it everyday.
mysoldiergirl

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 6:02 pm
PostPost subject:

Also: buy some Pam cooking spray and a wok. You can cook ANYTHING in there without oil and that's a lot of fat lost right there.
bello_misterioso
Out Of Touch

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 6:19 pm
PostPost subject:

I'm a guy actually (not sure if its all women on this thread) and I made the decision that I wanted to drop about 30 lbs.

I'm 19 and 5'10 and 220 lbs. I don't appear chubby/fat at all because its more muscle than anything but I am starting to get a little pot belly and i dunno I can just see the weight gain.

ANYWHO

I used to be a vegan but not being able to buy your own groceries because of parents makes it really hard so gradually I got back into bad eating habits. But i recently decided to go back to being a health food maniac so I went and bought a bunch of organic food and rice and soy milk. Also I bought B ritney S pears Greatest Hits DVD (I'm a dancer lol) and just go thru her routines everyday and I also have other DVDs of pop artists who do dance routines and I learn their dances and just do them everyday. I also bought a yoga dvd lol cause i heard yoga is really good for you. I don't mind eating healthier food at all its just since I have to buy it myself there isnt much variety at my house since I dont have much to spend.

It sucks because although I have a really fast metabolism when I used to dance I could eat whatever I wanted because I was exercising a good 5 hours everyday, and then I got into horrible eating habits so when I stopped, I rapidly put on about 30-40 lbs. I don't necessarily NEED to lose weight appearance wise, but i think i'd look alot better if i did.

Alot of people think that guys dont' care about their weight but they do. I live in Southern California so when I go to the beach I'd like to be able to take off my shirt without worrying about my little gut poking out lol.

Last edited by bello_misterioso on Sun Sep 30, 2007 7:10 pm; edited 2 times in total
letsfeelinfinite
Top Poster
Top Poster

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 7:10 pm
PostPost subject:

nach heart wrote:
letsfeelinfinite wrote:

I just want to say that, though i totally respect your decision to want to lose weight, after seeing your picture on myspace I must say you are beautiful and look amazing the way you are! Seriously you hot. Very Happy

Oh my goodness Smile I like 'a you!

And I totally agree about the progresso soups...they're like, as so eloquently stated on Arrested Development, "hot ham water." Lean Cuisine pastas are really, really good, and they're in small portions, too, so it's nice to have a limit. My favorite is the spaghetti with mushrooms. Yum.
mojo shivers
The Shit
The Shit

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 7:36 pm
PostPost subject:

letsfeelinfinite wrote:
nach heart wrote:
letsfeelinfinite wrote:

Oh my goodness Smile I like 'a you!.

And you're not too shabby in the intelligence department either which is like a double threat.

california is a recipe for a black hole
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
shelma
Initial Friend
Initial Friend

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 8:19 pm
PostPost subject:

L, you can get a manual treadmill. I'm pretty sure there are space saving models and it is WAY less expensive.
lostandfound24
Cool Kid
Cool Kid

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 8:26 pm
PostPost subject:

I need to lose weight too. I've lost about 25 pounds over the past year mostly by moderation. I have been eating more balanced meals, and more fruits and vegetables, but most importantly I've been controlling my portions. It's hard for me because I'm an extremely picky vegetarian, there is so little food I can stand, it's ridiculous. But I've been doing pretty well so far. I did a lot of exercising over the summer, but now that school's started I haven't been doing so well with that. I feel like I eat pretty healthy foods...I don't eat fast food or drink pop or fried food or anything...but it's still not enough. Maybe it's a lack of protein or something? I don't know. I genuinely like exercising, too, but I have a short attention span so it's hard for me to keep up with it. The iPod helps with that, though. I also probably have a really shitty metabolism because I eat less than almost all of my friends (other than my friend Allison, who's 5'2 and 110 pounds) but I'm still heavier than most of them. It's frustrating!!
shelma
Initial Friend
Initial Friend

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 8:48 pm
PostPost subject:

Maybe you've plateaued?
tw2113
Cool Kid
Cool Kid

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 9:00 pm
PostPost subject:

bello_misterioso wrote: