Rilo Kiley show history project

RKnet Forum Index -> Rilo Kiley Discussion Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gav
Gangsta Mack
Gangsta Mack

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 4:39 am
PostPost subject: Rilo Kiley show history project

ok, here's the old "After all we been through" sub-forum distilled into a single topic. The posts from that forum were disolved into "Rilo Kiley Discussion", and here's the more important/current stuff from there:

- - - - - - - -

About this area:

This is a topic to verify and gather info on Rilo Kiley shows.. specifically early in the band's existence (mid-to-late 90's). Show history for the band is very hazy for their early years, but the picture gets clearer in 2001.

Similar projects on other bands' forums have had lots of success, so I'm optimistic we will too. This is a very fun team-work project for Rilo Kiley dorks like me who enjoy doing detective work and putting pieces together.

The "map" we'll be working from is the gigograpahy here: http://rilokileyplace.com/shows/
I'll be continuously updating there as new info is uncovered and posted here.
I'm thinking now is a great time to tackle this, before the gears get rolling on releasing the next Rilo album and the extensive touring that will surely accompany it.

How we'll do it:

If you have a news article, photo, link, or whatnot to help confirm a show, please post it here.
Flyers, ticket stubs, concert listings are also great. If you don't have access to a scanner, a decent digital photo would probably be fine.

Info we're after: (in order of importance)
* missing shows (date/venue)
* missing dates for known venues (example: ??/??/?? Los Angeles, CA, The Smell)
* missing venues for known dates (example: 12/06/01 Las Vegas, NV)
* missing setlists
* missing recording/bootleg info
* missing bands on the bill (openers/headliners)
* photos, reviews, flyers, ticket stubs, concert listings for known shows

I've already scoured the web looking for info. Not to say there's nothing online I've missed, but our best weapons will be old local weekly/bi-weekly magazines. Since most of the band's early shows were in the Los Angeles area, that means backissues of LA Weekly, BAM, and others like them. (BAM was originally a Bay Area bi-weekly, but there was an LA version in the mid/late 90s.)
Usually about 3/4 through the magazine you'll find local concert listings, both plain text by the magazine, and fancier "flyer" type ads by the venues, with the two overlapping somewhat. These are what we need to go through looking for any signs of "Rilo Kiley" mentioned.

The main Los Angeles Library has old publications such as these on microfilm/microfiche.. I think located in the basement? What I'd like to do is get a few volunteers here of LA area people, and then split up the work, either by year and/or publication. So for example, 1 person could call 1997 LA Weekly backissues and they'd be assigned the task of checking through the issues from that year. Then if you ended up researching more or less than that, that's fine.. just let us know how far you got so we'll know what's already been checked. If we get enough volunteers, we should be able to split the work enough ways to where it wouldn't be too hard on anyone. Even if you only have time to check one or two sources, that's something.. so post here which issue(s) you checked and if you found anything therein.

How to use microfilm and/or microfiche:

You have to go to your city's "main" library to view / search it, since smaller branches don't usually deal with it (If your college has a big library, you might check there, too). If possible, knowing when a show took place will make it easier to research. What you should look for are ads leading up to the show date. Ads may be present weeks before a show but you're more likely to find one closer to the shows date. A review for a show will likely print one to seven days after the show. If the paper you're searching had a "entertainment" section start there. As with most new bands, Rilo didn't get much press at first, so don't expect to see them on the cover or featured in many in-depth articles prior to 2002.

Microfilm is easy to use, but tedious. If you go to the periodical section, or in a huge library like LA- the history section, there should be a binder (or something similar) with all of the periodicals that they have on file. Depending on the size of the publication, you may have several issues on one reel.

Once you get the microfilm reel, the hardest part is loading it in the machine. But a librarian can help you. The film is spooled into the machine and once its threaded, you can quickly zoom through lots of material. You can start off by going to the table of contents and seeing what page the calendar listings are on. Unfortunately, microfilm/microfiche doesn't have a search feature. Once you find the page you want, you can zoom in, adjust brightness if need be and just hit a button on the machine to print. (LA charges 25 cents per page, my local library is 15 cents). At first, its difficult to find the page without going past it but its really easy once you get the hang of it- and unfortunately, the only way to get some of this info.

You should bring a pen and piece of paper with you to jot down any signs of Rilo Kiley shows you come across. A small pocketful of change to get print outs would also be nice. And you might want to bring some notes with you, such as a print out of the show(s)/year(s) from the gigography you'll be researching.

---

Again, I'd like to focus on the years 1997-2000. I've already got pretty extensive info on most shows 2001-2004. Midway through 2004 I got kinda lazy and stopped adding reviews, opening bands, and stuff, but I'll be going back and adding more info intermittently.
With 2005-up, the band started getting a lot more attention in the press. I'm not really interested in standard show reviews that basically say the same thing ("Jenny is beautiful and talented. Blake rocked. They played songs off the new album." etc.) But if a review is very interesting and well-written, or there's something about the show that sets it apart, then I'd be interested in adding it to the gigography (ie, the band played a song they rarely play, or there was a special guest who helped sing on a song, or Blake or Jenny said something really funny/interesting between songs.. stuff like that.) Same with pictures, setlists, and the like.

Ok, sound good?
Any questions about anything, just ask.

---------------------

I was running some errands today and just so happened to pass by my local library. I had some time, so I decided to stop in and see what they had in the way of periodicals. And it turns out even the El Cajon Library has a few archived, including The Los Angeles Times in microfilm. So I figured out how to use the machines and looked at a roll. Turns out the LA Times has concert listings in the Thursday and Sunday editions. The roll I went though was 12/21/97-12/31/97. I figured I'd start at the end of '97 and work my way backwards. Didn't find any Rilo shows in the tail end of that year, though. Being a real paper, there was a lot of shit to scroll through to find music coverage (ie, sports, bra ads), so it's not the ideal source for this project. But I might go back when I can, to go through another roll from time to time. I'm thinking the SDSU library might also be a good, nearby place for me to check for other sources one of these days.

If you've got a decent library in your town, they might carry the Los Angeles Times, too.. so if anyone wants to help me out by checking a week or two from the late 90s, that'd be sweet.

-----------------------------

holy grails and the unheard music (uncirculated bootlegs)
http://www.rilokiley.net/viewtopic.php?t=10662

---------------------------
Mystery Shows
Unknown and Unconfirmed
Do you have more info on any of the below shows? If so, please post or email me.

??/??/?? Los Angeles, CA, The Smell [acoustic show. w/ Alex Greenwald]

This was an acoustic show at a music venue / art gallery called The Smell in downtown Los Angeles (247 So. Main St.)
Alex Greenwald (of Phantom Planet) also played a set. Happened sometime around '98-'00? Might be listed in a local publication's concert listings. Maybe an old school Phantom Planet fan would know the date.
Justine says, "I went to a Smell acoustic show in maybe 2000, where Alex opened. I got the friends EP and a t-shirt with the disembodied faces of 2 old men on it and RILO KILEY [I still have the shirt but have since tie-dyed it]. I kept pretty meticulous blogs back then so I can check for the date, but this is probably a later one. A friend of mine was also around the rk kids during these days and might have more info... I'll let him know about your project. I also have some info regarding the early days. I went to most [maybe all] of the LA show dates for a while in 2000 - 2001 etc. I also have a few original promo pics/ the original friends EP/ old ticket stubs/ stickers with the old possum graffic/ some Rilo Kiley undies from the Take Offs and Landings CD release at the Knitting Factory etc."
There's an old Phantom Planet mailing list that was real popular around 1999-2000.. I'll bet that if someone could search the message archives, they could find info on some shows Rilo and PP played together (such as the acoustic show with Alex Greenwald at The Smell). But the catch is you have to already be a member to read the archives. I even tracked down the list owner and she can't remember her password to login (and approve new members), so basically no new members can sign up.

Are you a member of this mailing list?
http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/phantom_planet/

If so, you can do us a favor by searching the archives for Rilo Kiley.. please copy/paste anything you find regarding relevant shows (including dates) and email/pm me or simply post here. Thanks!

??/??/?? San Diego, CA, Casbah

One of the band's first shows outsite of the LA area. Probably 1998. Maybe late 1997 or early 1999. There is a video of this show in existence, but unfortunately the owner, Dr. Rob Mirar, has chosen to keep it to himself (despite years of friendly pleading on my part) and as far as I know, his is the only copy.
This show should not be confused with the other time Rilo played the Casbah..
11/21/02 Casbah, San Diego, CA [w/Rainer Maria, lowcloudcover]
A good place to find this listing would be backissues of SLAMM.. which is what the mag San Diego CityBeat used to be called in the 90s. The Reader might be a good publication to check, too.

??/??/?? Los Angeles, CA, Spaceland [w/Whiskey Biscuit]

Jenny has mentioned in interviews that Rilo Kiley's "big break" (tongue in cheekly speaking) was opening for Whiskey Biscuit at Spaceland. This was most likely 1997. Searching through LA concert listings from 1997 should be able to pin down the date.

03/12/99 Austin, TX, SXSW Film Festival [Desert Blue US premiere party. w/ Cat Power] [UNKNOWN VENUE]

The film festival took place at the Austin Convention Center, but as Pierre told me, "that show was at some club on the main street of Austin, some little hall above a jazz club I think, not the austin convention center."
Google hasn't been able to help me find the name of the club. So our best bet would probably be if someone in the Austin area could go to the library and check archived concert listings looking for a Rilo Kiley + Cat Power show on Friday March 12, 1999. Shouldn't be too hard.

More mystery shows
These shows need to be confirmed with more info (venues or dates). Again, a trip to the library in these respective cities could likely find what we need.
UNKNOWN VENUE 07/14/02 Pittsburgh, PA
UNKNOWN VENUE 12/06/01 Las Vegas, NV
UNCONFIRMED SHOW 11/30/01 St. Louis, MO
UNCONFIRMED SHOW 11/29/01 Nashville, TN
UNCONFIRMED SHOW 11/28/01 Atlanta or Athens, GA
UNCONFIRMED SHOW 11/27/01 North Carolina or Virgina
UNKNOWN DATE 3/30 or 3/31 2001 Las Vegas, NV, the Sanctuary
UNKNOWN DATE 11/29 or 11/30 2001 Louisville, KY, Baritone's

thanks for all your help.

Last edited by Gav on Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:57 pm; edited 2 times in total
apexsensation
The Shit
The Shit

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 9:51 am
PostPost subject:

I've got a small handful of BAM/Mean Street magazines from 1997 on. I'll check to see if they can shed any light on the situation.

I'm now on Facebook, and will probably add you if you ask.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
southboundpachyderm
Top Poster
Top Poster

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 10:41 am
PostPost subject:

Last edited by southboundpachyderm on Tue Oct 16, 2007 6:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
Gav
Gangsta Mack
Gangsta Mack

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 3:54 pm
PostPost subject:

cool, thanks! that in-store must've slipped my mind somehow.

yeah, the most frustrating part of this project is when people who could easily help by sharing info don't bother replying to my messages. meanies.

hey, if you ever find yourself in the vicinity of the LA Library with an hour or two to kill, please feel free to check thru a few LA Weekly 97-99 backissues. Smile
southboundpachyderm
Top Poster
Top Poster

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 8:15 pm
PostPost subject:

Last edited by southboundpachyderm on Tue Oct 16, 2007 6:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
nyeacknjny
Top Poster
Top Poster

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 9:15 pm
PostPost subject:

did i send you stuff yet gav?

~Nick
Gav
Gangsta Mack
Gangsta Mack

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 9:27 pm
PostPost subject:

nyeacknjny wrote:

~Nick

no, i don't think so.
bleedingdark03
all-around quality person

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 10:38 am
PostPost subject:

i can tell you that RK has never come to connecticut, so you don't have to worry about even looking here.
Gav
Gangsta Mack
Gangsta Mack

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 5:52 pm
PostPost subject:

Thread Bump
Gav wrote:
nyeacknjny wrote:

~Nick

no, i don't think so.

still nothing. Doubt
LaBa
all-around quality person

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 6:00 pm
PostPost subject:

02/28/05 Stockholm, Sweden, Cirkus [supporting Bright Eyes]

This show was actually held in a venue called "Münchenbryggeriet" ("Munich Brewery", but it is in Stockholm, of course). Originally it was supposed to be held in Cirkus but venue was changed some days before the show.
Gav
Gangsta Mack
Gangsta Mack

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 6:06 pm
PostPost subject:

nice.. thanks for the correction. Smile
matthew

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 2:57 pm
PostPost subject: Babson show

The Babson show mentioned above was in fact cancelled. I actually informed Jenny of the news at a Cambridge, MA show, as the band had not been made aware of this little fact.
apexsensation
The Shit
The Shit

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 10:04 am
PostPost subject:

Not quite something to do with show history, but something for your site. I have a different version of the Rilo Records Takeoffs album than the one on your site.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Gav
Gangsta Mack
Gangsta Mack

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 2:06 pm
PostPost subject:

thanks a lot for the info, Matthew.

and Jason, yeah, i seem to recall you kindly sent me pics of your alt Takeoffs cd a while back but i guess i never got around to adding them to the site yet. sorry about that. i'll try to get to that soon.
nyeacknjny
Top Poster
Top Poster

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 3:15 pm
PostPost subject:

sorry Gav, i'm trying to remember what info i originally had for you lol. i'm sure it was about the baltimore 2001 show. i know asshole, 85 and pictures of sucess were played. hmmm, maybe a show review. i gotta check my sent box.

~Nick
apexsensation
The Shit
The Shit

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 9:01 am
PostPost subject:

Gav wrote:
thanks a lot for the info, Matthew.

and Jason, yeah, i seem to recall you kindly sent me pics of your alt Takeoffs cd a while back but i guess i never got around to adding them to the site yet. sorry about that. i'll try to get to that soon.

No problem. If you need new pics or any other info about it, let me know.

Gav
Gangsta Mack
Gangsta Mack

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 11:35 pm
PostPost subject:

Here's a new entry to the gigography.. an interesting private organization gig from the early days of the band. Believe it or not, Rilo played some Madonna covers and a beautiful unreleased song called "Cousin Cousin".
read more here: http://rilokileyplace.com/shows/1999-hawaii.html
F#minor
Top Poster
Top Poster

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 3:24 am
PostPost subject:

i want to hear that. i can't beleive that its not recorded. I always new that some of the most beutiful songs ever were never recoded

- Rodney Ruxin
apexsensation
The Shit
The Shit

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 8:38 am
PostPost subject:

Well, it probably wasn't recorded because this was the very earliest days of the band, but man would that be awesome to hear.

Gav
Gangsta Mack
Gangsta Mack

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 12:18 pm
PostPost subject:

yeah, i hope that maybe there's at least like an old 4-track demo recording of "cousin cousin" boxed up in the back of Blake's closet or something.. and hopefully that theoretical recording will be released someday on a rarities album or box set or someshit.
we can dream.
I am Bones
Cool Kid
Cool Kid

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 4:45 pm
PostPost subject:

Here's hoping! Cousin Cousin sounds awesome by the way the guy describes it as the most beautiful song he's ever heard.

Did anyone else kinda want to hear them cover "Push It" after Jenny mentioned it in the clip? I'm shameless!
nyeacknjny
Top Poster
Top Poster

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 6:52 pm
PostPost subject:

I still have my fingers crossed for a rarities CD. Blake told me they still have 4 or 5 songs left over from TOAL, maybe thats one of them.

~Nick
Gav
Gangsta Mack
Gangsta Mack

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 7:24 pm
PostPost subject:

Let's band together as a message board and at every Rilo show on the upcoming tour, instead of yelling out for cliché songs like "Glendora" and "The Frug", let's all shout out for them to play "Cousin Cousin"! I'm sure they've forgotten it by now, but it'd be hilarious! Plus it would be a way for RKnetters to find each other.. like a secret handshake. haha. And maybe it'd inspire the band to dig up the old recording of the song (if there is one) and relearn it. And maybe they'd start playing it or put it on the next album. How great would that be? Like when Frank Black finally finished the song "Velvety" which was an unfinished Pixies b-side many years earlier. Or when Brian Wilson finished his Smile album decades after its inception. Yeah!
nyeacknjny
Top Poster
Top Poster

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 7:30 pm
PostPost subject:

or like Rivers Cuomo finally releasing 'Songs from the Black Hole'...oh wait, nevermind.

~Nick
Trevie
Cool Kid
Cool Kid

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 11:00 pm
PostPost subject:

Gav wrote:
Let's band together as a message board and at every Rilo show on the upcoming tour, instead of yelling out for cliché songs like "Glendora" and "The Frug", let's all shout out for them to play "Cousin Cousin"! I'm sure they've forgotten it by now, but it'd be hilarious! Plus it would be a way for RKnetters to find each other.. like a secret handshake. haha. And maybe it'd inspire the band to dig up the old recording of the song (if there is one) and relearn it. And maybe they'd start playing it or put it on the next album. How great would that be? Like when Frank Black finally finished the song "Velvety" which was an unfinished Pixies b-side many years earlier. Or when Brian Wilson finished his Smile album decades after its inception. Yeah!

great idea..but what if we go through all of that trouble and the song ends up being crap!?!? or nonexistent?!!?

i'm going to do it though because the surprise is always nice
RKnet Forum Index -> Rilo Kiley Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: