My Posts | My Messages | My Profile | Search | Memberlist

Good Christian music?

RKnet Forum Index -> Music Discussion Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ordinaryfool
all-around quality person

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 3:56 pm
PostPost subject: Good Christian music?

My boyfriend was cleaning/organizing his CDs while we were hanging out the other night, so he was playing some of his stuff. A big portion of his CD collection happens to be Christian music. I almost feel like I must be a horrible person for admitting this, but...I haven't found much in the Christian music genre that I like. So much of it sounds the same to me, and a lot of it just seems...over-produced, or something. It's just so boring! I don't get it. You would think Christian music could be some of the most passionate, what with the subject matter and all, but all I ever seem to hear is the same-sounding singers, sometimes with a choir providing background vocals, singing pretty dull music.

So what's the deal? There has got to be some quality music out there about God. I've heard some stuff by Relient K, and I like them, and I know Sufjan Stevens is sometimes labled Christian. But other than that, this isn't a genre I've gotten too deeply into, to really dig up any good stuff. Does anyone have some suggestions?
mojo shivers
The Shit
The Shit

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 4:57 pm
PostPost subject:

My secret shame is that my best friend, who's a devout Christian, got me into Jump5 a few years back. I don't know--there songs are so simple and probably have more references to God than I am usually comfortable with, but they do put a smile on my face.

Plus, those guys are just like flipping monkeys who just happen to sing, what with their full-blown tumbling routines in the middle of their shows.

Spinning Around

california is a recipe for a black hole

Last edited by mojo shivers on Fri Sep 08, 2006 8:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
groove_champion
Regular
Regular

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 7:54 pm
PostPost subject:

Check out Neal Morse if you like or are willing to try out some progressive rock.

I guess Ben Harper is my favourite outwardly christian artist. At least I presume he's christian - he mentions Jah as well as Jesus in some of his songs. I'm pretty sure he's not rastafarian though... And I suppose songs with a religious theme constitute a smaller percentage of his material.
Nonetheless, 'I Want To Be Ready' and 'Jah Work' are great songs in my opinion.
Built To Post
Hot Shit
Hot Shit

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 8:25 pm
PostPost subject:

Obligatory Pedro The Lion mention....
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
hobochick
Cool Kid
Cool Kid

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 2:42 pm
PostPost subject:

ok soo anything off tooth and nail is concidered christian.
relient k -for teh moment i feel ain if youv never hered it find it and here it

as i lay dieing if you liek hardcore.
zao

good christian poet bradly hathaway hes freakin amazing he writes some awzsoem stuff

ummm well i basicly have teh same proble whith alot of christain music it all starts to sound teh same. but kutless is my guilty plesusure along with superchick. im absolutly in love with superchick its kinda sad.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Chris

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 5:05 pm
PostPost subject:

Eisley - though they want to be labeled as 'Christians who make music' as opposed to 'Christians who make Christian music'.
Corraiv

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 6:02 pm
PostPost subject:

Aye, I am Christian and I don't like most of CCM as well. But one guy, the late Rich Mullins, is a singer/poet who not only God used to change my life but I still listen to a lot and still find myself crying to many of his songs. Maybe I'm just a wuss. Anyway. Go listen. I recommend "Elijah" and "Creed" for starters.

love<3
thegetaway
Cool Kid
Cool Kid

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 8:56 pm
PostPost subject:

Underoath is another metal/hardcore Christian band.
v-rinny
Top Poster
Top Poster

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 11:27 pm
PostPost subject:

i don't know if you're into their type of music, but mxpx is a "christian" band. a majority of their songs are particularly direct christian/God references, but most are positive and some do mention Jesus, God, etc.

am I asleep or awake?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Malomakaio
Posting Machine
Posting Machine

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 12:24 am
PostPost subject:

unwed sailor is christian i believe, even thoug they're instrumental...

mewithoutYou is definitely christian, and even though i'm not a fan of the genre, they write some pretty cool stuff, less singing and more spoken word if you're into that...
davidleeroth

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 7:09 am
PostPost subject:

Most Christian music makes me smirk but Judee Sill is one of my favourite singer/songwriters, despite genre. Not particularly Christian though, more like psych-folk stuff with some religious imagery thrown in.

Jesus Was A Cross Maker video
apexsensation
The Shit
The Shit

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 10:57 am
PostPost subject:

davidleeroth wrote:
Most Christian music makes me smirk but Judee Sill is one of my favourite singer/songwriters, despite genre. Not particularly Christian though, more like psych-folk stuff with some religious imagery thrown in.

Jesus Was A Cross Maker video

I can deal with this type of Jesus music. In fact, many of the bands mentioned here are bands I like. Where I run into a problem is the songs where it's all Jesus or God. You know, like the Christian compilations you see on late night commercials.

By the way, you should check out the Rachael Yamagata version of Jesus Was A Crossmaker. It's what introduced me to the song and I love it.

I'm now on Facebook, and will probably add you if you ask.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
ordinaryfool

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 11:39 pm
PostPost subject:

apexsensation wrote:
I can deal with this type of Jesus music. In fact, many of the bands mentioned here are bands I like. Where I run into a problem is the songs where it's all Jesus or God. You know, like the Christian compilations you see on late night commercials.

By the way, you should check out the Rachael Yamagata version of Jesus Was A Crossmaker. It's what introduced me to the song and I love it.

Unfortunately, it seems like a lot of what my boyfriend has is Christian music of the "late night commercial" persuasion. He doesn't really have an ear for music, though, so basically anything sounds good to him. It just sucks that that's what a lot of people think of when they think of Christian music. I'm not one of those people who likes to get preachy or force my religion on others, but sometimes it's just nice to have music that just makes me feel closer to God, you know? And that music just doesn't do it for me because to me it's too preachy for comfort, and most of it just isn't the quality of music I would like to listen to. Which just baffles me. Like I said when I posted this topic, if people are devoting their music to their God, wouldn't you think that music would be some really amazing stuff? But maybe that's just me.

I'm almost surprised that some of the music people have mentioned is stuff I'm already listening to, actually. But I'm starting to think maybe I need to look at the idea of Christian music from a different perspective. I've found some really good songs about God by artists that aren't predominantly Christian. (For instance, my boyfriend also listens to a lot of country, and I've found some good stuff by country artists that's pretty touching) But I just wanted to say thanks to everybody who's made suggestions so far. It's giving me hope that there really is quality music about God out there.
Corraiv

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 3:34 am
PostPost subject:

I would agree that the music is nice if it brings us into the presence of God. But Christian music is just the icing on the cake. If you want spiritual nourishment open up the Word and communion with God (Psalm 46:10). Punch me for preaching without authority(i'm just a poor college student) but from personal experience talking to God directly is almost always better than having a musician mediate for me. Seek ye first the Kingdom, I suppose I want to say.

At any rate there will be no one like Rich Mullins ever again.
Also, if you have heard any of Johnny Cash's songs, they're pretty good too. "Help Me", "God's Gonna Cut You Down", etc.
badbrainsmashitup

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 6:04 am
PostPost subject:

superchick is NOT cool Confused
billyshears

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 1:48 pm
PostPost subject:

Sorry, this user no longer exists.
queen c
Cool Kid
Cool Kid

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 3:49 pm
PostPost subject:

I've avoided this thread simply b/c I'd have to admit that I used to listen to Xian music. Hey, we can't help how we were raised, right?

Anyway, CCM sucks. Seriously. If you're looking for something that will really excite you about God and all that, check out Keith Green. He was a 70's/80's piano man who came to Christ after drugs & mysticism, etc. He is the only Xian artist who I consider to be exactly that. His songs are so powerful and completely Bible-based. You might think it's kinda cheesy b/c it is musically, but don't discount it. He was a genius, imo.
hobochick
Cool Kid
Cool Kid

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 9:38 pm
PostPost subject:

v-rinny wrote:
i don't know if you're into their type of music, but mxpx is a "christian" band. a majority of their songs are particularly direct christian/God references, but most are positive and some do mention Jesus, God, etc.
nooopeee mxpx in not a christianband anymore
granted tehre old stuff is amazingand tehy quoted scripture on teenage politics but not anymroe tehy anrt and christian band
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
hobochick
Cool Kid
Cool Kid

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 9:40 pm
PostPost subject:

badbrainsmashitup wrote:
superchick is NOT cool Confused
i agree but i cant help but love them lots of dseep seeded memories.... but yeah they are my guilty plesure
v-rinny
Top Poster
Top Poster

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 9:57 pm
PostPost subject:

hobochick wrote:
v-rinny wrote:
granted tehre old stuff is amazingand tehy quoted scripture on teenage politics but not anymroe tehy anrt and christian band

oh, i wasn't aware that they didn't identify themselves as a christian band anymore.

i really really don't mean to offend but do you intentionally misspell words? i'm really not trying to be mean, i'm just curious.

am I asleep or awake?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
TheOtherOne420
Cool Kid
Cool Kid

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 10:04 pm
PostPost subject:

I had a roommate a couple years ago who went from being a Buddhist to a born again Christian while at the house. I liked hanging out on the back porch talking religion with the dude (while chain smoking cheap cigarettes).

Every now and then the subject of Christian music would come up. He used to say, "You know, really, if you just substitute God or Jesus for Baby, ta da, you have yourself a Christian Rock tune." He was only half joking. Then I'd ask him, "Well, can you have instrumental Christian music?" His response was, sure, inspired by Christ is all the prerequisite you need. To which I'd say, "Well, then, wouldn't ALL music thus be Christian from the Christian's perspective, since God would have inspired the creative spark?" My point being that if a Christian sits down, listening to music, anything that inspires a closeness to God would then fall under that category. So why label something "Christian"?

It's also interesting in this thread that no one has put forth any Gospel music. I'm not any one organized religion (and far from Christian), but I love me some Gospel. One artist I can completely get on board with is the Reverend Gary Davis. The guy was a bad motherfucker on acoustic guitar, and his lyrics weren't too shabby either (and not watered down at all, gritty, bluesy, and edgy).

Cole
"God damn well I declare
Have you seen the like?
Their walls are built of cannonballs
Their motto is Don't Tread On Me" - Robert Hunter
hobochick
Cool Kid
Cool Kid

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 10:17 pm
PostPost subject:

v-rinny wrote:
hobochick wrote:
v-rinny wrote:

oh, i wasn't aware that they didn't identify themselves as a christian band anymore.

i really really don't mean to offend but do you intentionally misspell words? i'm really not trying to be mean, i'm just curious.
no i dont intentionaly. i didnt mean to sound mean when i said that mxpx wasnt a christian band
hobochick
Cool Kid
Cool Kid

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 10:19 pm
PostPost subject:

TheOtherOne420 wrote:
I had a roommate a couple years ago who went from being a Buddhist to a born again Christian while at the house. I liked hanging out on the back porch talking religion with the dude (while chain smoking cheap cigarettes).

Every now and then the subject of Christian music would come up. He used to say, "You know, really, if you just substitute God or Jesus for Baby, ta da, you have yourself a Christian Rock tune." He was only half joking. Then I'd ask him, "Well, can you have instrumental Christian music?" His response was, sure, inspired by Christ is all the prerequisite you need. To which I'd say, "Well, then, wouldn't ALL music thus be Christian from the Christian's perspective, since God would have inspired the creative spark?" My point being that if a Christian sits down, listening to music, anything that inspires a closeness to God would then fall under that category. So why label something "Christian"?

It's also interesting in this thread that no one has put forth any Gospel music. I'm not any one organized religion (and far from Christian), but I love me some Gospel. One artist I can completely get on board with is the Reverend Gary Davis. The guy was a bad motherfucker on acoustic guitar, and his lyrics weren't too shabby either (and not watered down at all, gritty, bluesy, and edgy).

Cole
"God damn well I declare
Have you seen the like?
Their walls are built of cannonballs
Their motto is Don't Tread On Me" - Robert Hunter
kirk franklin? no wait thats not counted as gospel is it ..
Ann Nonimus

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 12:22 am
PostPost subject:

oxymoron?
billyshears

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 4:32 am
PostPost subject:

Sorry, this user no longer exists.
RKnet Forum Index -> Music Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: