Welcome Guest: Register | Log in

My Posts | My Messages | My Profile | Search | Memberlist

Strange news items thread

RKnet Forum Index -> General Discussion Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 35, 36, 37  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
L

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 10:05 pm
PostPost subject: Strange news items thread

I don't know about you guys, but I love reading weird and offbeat news items (news of the weird, some of the funky stuff on the discovery and history channel websites)

Maybe if other people enjoy strange news articles, we can share some. This one is from the Discovery Channel's website...

Quote:

King Tut, Totally Intact
At first look, Harry Burton's picture of King Tut, above, may seem to indicate that the king could have been a little better endowed. But according to mummy experts, the pharaoh was normally built.

King Tut's Penis Rediscovered
By Rossella Lorenzi, Discovery News

May 3, 2006 — King Tutankhamun's rediscovered penis could make the pharaoh stand out in the shrunken world of male mummies, according to a close look into old pictures of the 3,300-year-old mummified king.

The formerly missing sex organ has been just another puzzle in the story of the best-known pharaoh of ancient Egypt.

Photographed intact by Harry Burton (1879-1940) during Howard Carter's excavation of Tut's tomb in 1922, the royal penis was reported missing in 1968, when British scientist Ronald Harrison took a series of X-rays of the mummy.

Speculation abounded that the penis had been stolen and sold.

"Instead, it has always been there. I found it during the CT scan last year, when the mummy was lifted. It lay loose in the sand around the king's body. It was mummified," Zahi Hawass, chief of Egypt's Supreme Council of Antiquities, told Discovery News.
waking in winter
Posting Machine
Posting Machine

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 10:27 pm
PostPost subject: Re: Strange news items thread

L wrote:
pharaoh stand out in the shrunken world of male mummies,

Bad choice of words for an article about a penis. I think Tut would have been pissed.
apexsensation
The Shit
The Shit

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 8:55 am
PostPost subject:

This is the exact article I thought of when I read this! It's still on my computer taskbar thingy. So entertaining. Thank god for Google news thingies for bringing this to my attention!

I'm now on Facebook, and will probably add you if you ask.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
IHeartJenny
Don't Fuck With
Don't Fuck With

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 1:37 pm
PostPost subject: Re: Strange news items thread

waking in winter wrote:
L wrote:
pharaoh stand out in the shrunken world of male mummies,

Bad choice of words for an article about a penis. I think Tut would have been pissed.

My thoughts exactly...I almost feel like it was done on purpose.
bildo
Regular
Regular

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 2:33 am
PostPost subject:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060505/ap_on_fe_st/buffet_debacle_2

Finally the buffet fights back!!! Kudos to the resturant owners for kicking them out. You can't argue that the food was bad, because they went back for the same thing. And the children thing....sure children won't eat everything on their plate....that's why you DON'T CRAM IT SIX INCHES HIGH with a thousand different things. Ughh some people these days.
waking in winter
Posting Machine
Posting Machine

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 10:48 pm
PostPost subject:

Quote:
Bush's best moment in office? Reeling in big perch
Sun May 7, 2006 11:01 AM BST

BERLIN (Reuters) - U.S. President George W. Bush told a German newspaper his best moment in more than five years in office was catching a big perch in his own lake.

"You know, I've experienced many great moments and it's hard to name the best," Bush told weekly Bild am Sonntag when asked about his high point since becoming president in January 2001.

"I would say the best moment of all was when I caught a 7.5 pound (3.402 kilos) perch in my lake," he told the newspaper in an interview published on Sunday.

Bush said the worst moment was September 11 when hijacked planes crashed into the World Trade Centre in New York and the Pentagon in Washington.

"In such a situation it takes a while before one understands what is happening," Bush said. "I would say that this was the hardest moment, once I had the real picture before my eyes."

Because Bild could not immediately furnish English quotes, Bush's comments were translated from the German. The paper said the White House planned to release an authorised English version of the interview on Monday.

link

WTF.
hopefulthoughts
Top Poster
Top Poster

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 8:38 am
PostPost subject:

waking in winter wrote:
Quote:
Bush's best moment in office? Reeling in big perch
Sun May 7, 2006 11:01 AM BST

BERLIN (Reuters) - U.S. President George W. Bush told a German newspaper his best moment in more than five years in office was catching a big perch in his own lake.

"You know, I've experienced many great moments and it's hard to name the best," Bush told weekly Bild am Sonntag when asked about his high point since becoming president in January 2001.

"I would say the best moment of all was when I caught a 7.5 pound (3.402 kilos) perch in my lake," he told the newspaper in an interview published on Sunday.

Bush said the worst moment was September 11 when hijacked planes crashed into the World Trade Centre in New York and the Pentagon in Washington.

"In such a situation it takes a while before one understands what is happening," Bush said. "I would say that this was the hardest moment, once I had the real picture before my eyes."

Because Bild could not immediately furnish English quotes, Bush's comments were translated from the German. The paper said the White House planned to release an authorised English version of the interview on Monday.

link

WTF.

My feelings exactly. He had to be joking, but it doesn't really make sense why he would joke his greatest moment when he was so serious about his worst. Another Bushism, I guess.
SPT
Cool Kid
Cool Kid

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 8:44 am
PostPost subject:

hopefulthoughts wrote:
He had to be joking.

Really? In all seriousness, no-one is ever all bad, even George Bush. But after a not-especially-long think, I can't come up with anything that he's done that is worth my grudging congratualtions. There must be something, surely, other than the fish and that golf drive?

New thread required - bear with me a couiple of seconds.

www.soundsxp.com
bergenergy
Don't Fuck With
Don't Fuck With

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 2:31 pm
PostPost subject:

A Yale University historian has uncovered a 1918 letter that seems to lend validity to the lore that Yale University's ultra-secret Skull and Bones society swiped the skull of American Indian leader Geronimo.

The letter, written by one member of Skull and Bones to another, purports that the skull and some of the Indian leader's remains were spirited from his burial plot in Fort Sill, Oklahoma, to a stone tomb in New Haven that serves as the club's headquarters.

Well, I guess that they call it The SKULL and Bones Society.
bergenergy
Don't Fuck With
Don't Fuck With

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 1:49 pm
PostPost subject:

Seven young activists were detained Thursday after pouring some 440 pounds of cooked spaghetti and sprinkling tomato sauce on the stairs leading up to the Finance Ministry in the Danish capital, police said.

The protest was staged against a government proposal to cut state-financed student grants, allegedly to encourage Danish students to finish their education more quickly, the activists said.

Now that's taking it to the man!
Kacy
Cool Kid
Cool Kid

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 3:48 pm
PostPost subject:

bergenergy wrote:
A Yale University historian has uncovered a 1918 letter that seems to lend validity to the lore that Yale University's ultra-secret Skull and Bones society swiped the skull of American Indian leader Geronimo.

The letter, written by one member of Skull and Bones to another, purports that the skull and some of the Indian leader's remains were spirited from his burial plot in Fort Sill, Oklahoma, to a stone tomb in New Haven that serves as the club's headquarters.

Is that what the "life and death brigade" from Gilmore Girls is based on?
apexsensation
The Shit
The Shit

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 9:32 am
PostPost subject:

Kacy wrote:
bergenergy wrote:

Is that what the "life and death brigade" from Gilmore Girls is based on?

More than likely. Skull & Bones was the first thing I thought of when they first mentioned the Brigade.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
bergenergy
Don't Fuck With
Don't Fuck With

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 5:00 pm
PostPost subject:

A 23-year-old with a foot fetish has admitted he tried to kiss, fondle and lick the legs and toes of more than 70 women on the New York subway over the last three years, prosecutors said on Wednesday.

In a handwritten confession to police released by the Manhattan district attorney's office, Joseph Weir said his aim was "to make them laugh and smile and open to talk to me."

mmmmm, toe-lickin' good.
Chalks

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 5:08 pm
PostPost subject: scary.... priest stabbing a non

TOLEDO, Ohio -- When Sister Margaret Ann Pahl's body was found the day before Easter 26 years ago, she had been strangled and stabbed in a hospital chapel. The wounds on her chest and neck resembled a cross.

Jury selection was to begin Monday in the murder trial of the man accused of her killing, the Rev. Gerald Robinson, the same Roman Catholic priest who presided at Pahl's funeral Mass.

Robinson, 68, is accused of strangling and stabbing Pahl in 1980 at the hospital where they worked. Investigators have not disclosed a motive for the slaying but said it may have been some kind of ritual slaying.

Investigators who reopened the murder after two decades say they found bloodstains on an altar cloth that matched those from a sword-shaped letter opener. Police now believe the letter opener, found in Robinson's room, was the murder weapon.

Prosecutors plan to use Robinson's statements made to police, including a claim that someone else had confessed to killing the woman. He later admitted making that up, according to an investigator's testimony earlier this year.

Among those expected to testify at the trial are a medical examiner who has written a book on bloodstains and a forensic anthropologist who also is a best-selling mystery author and the inspiration behind Fox's crime show "Bones."

Potential jurors will be asked whether they have opinions on sexual molestation charges against clergy members and if they have strong thoughts on the Catholic Church. A jury pool of about 250 people has been called, the largest county officials can remember for a trial.

Robinson was questioned by police twice in the weeks after the killing. Police said he was a suspect because he was near the chapel when the body of Pahl, 71, was found by another nun.

Robinson was the chaplain at Mercy Hospital and worked closely with the nun, who was the caretaker of the hospital chapel. Investigators took Robinson into custody in April 2004. They also exhumed the nun's body two years ago and gathered DNA samples.

Investigators reopened the murder case in December 2003 after the prosecutor's office received a letter about a woman's claims that she was molested by priests for years as a child. Among the names she mentioned was Robinson. Police were unable to substantiate her allegations of sexual abuse.

Police have said the killing may have been some kind of ritual slaying because of evidence found in the chapel and because Pahl's body was posed to look as though she had been sexually assaulted, even though investigators say she wasn't.

Robinson, who is free on bail, could get life in prison if convicted of murder. He cannot get the death penalty because it was not in effect at the time of the slaying.
bergenergy
Don't Fuck With
Don't Fuck With

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 7:39 pm
PostPost subject:

The Army's recruitment of an autistic teen has once again put the spotlight on the pressures recruiters face in trying to get new volunteers in a time of war.

Earlier this week, 18-year-old Jared Guinther from Portland, Ore., was released from his four-year military committment after The Oregonian newspaper reported that he should not have been enlisted, given his medical condition. He was diagnosed with autism at age 3.

Guinther signed up to be a cavalry scout, one of the Army's more dangerous assignments

uh, huh
bergenergy
Don't Fuck With
Don't Fuck With

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 7:56 pm
PostPost subject:

A high school teacher has apologized for asking students to write about who they would kill and how they would do it, and officials said he will likely keep his job.

Michael Maxwell, who teaches industrial technology at Central High School, said his request that students in his beginning drafting class describe how they would carry out a murder was merely a writing prompt. It was not clear why he asked the drafting class to write fiction

Anyone remember Columbine?
death kiley postal
Posting Machine
Posting Machine

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 8:19 pm
PostPost subject:

There's bomb threat to my school that is supposed to happen tomorrow and my mom is making me go to school. Good parenting.

http://www.boston.com/news/world/middleeast/articles/2006/05/16/saudi_papers_told_to_stop_showing_women/

Quote:
King Abdullah has told Saudi editors to stop publishing pictures of women because they could lead young men astray, newspapers reported Tuesday.

That is flat out crazy.
apexsensation
The Shit
The Shit

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 8:56 am
PostPost subject:

bergenergy wrote:
A high school teacher has apologized for asking students to write about who they would kill and how they would do it, and officials said he will likely keep his job.

Michael Maxwell, who teaches industrial technology at Central High School, said his request that students in his beginning drafting class describe how they would carry out a murder was merely a writing prompt. It was not clear why he asked the drafting class to write fiction

Anyone remember Columbine?

How the hell is he able to keep his job??

bergenergy
Don't Fuck With
Don't Fuck With

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 2:16 pm
PostPost subject:

Prisoners wielding fans, light fixtures and other improvised weapons clashed with guards trying to stop a detainee from committing suicide at the U.S. detention center in Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, the military said Friday.

Thursday's clash happened in a medium-security section of the camp, called Gitmo for short, as guards were responding to THE FOURTH ATTEMPTED-SUICIDE OF THE DAY at the detention center on the U.S. Navy base, Cmdr. Robert Durand said.

Detainees struck guards as they entered a communal living area to stop a prisoner who was trying to hang himself, Durand said.

Ah, the old pro-suicide riot. Those damm disgruntled people being detained endlessly obviously don't appreciate American hospitality. Confused
bergenergy
Don't Fuck With
Don't Fuck With

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 8:53 pm
PostPost subject:

Federal agents seized a Mercedes-Benz from an Army reservist who said the armor-plated, bulletproof luxury car probably belonged to Saddam Hussein.

First Sgt. William von Zehle said he bought the car while serving in Iraq. U.S. Immigration and Customs enforcement agents said the car, which was also equipped with loudspeakers and hidden microphones, was being treated as a “possible war trophy.”

Did he drive it home?
bergenergy
Don't Fuck With
Don't Fuck With

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 8:59 pm
PostPost subject:

A U.S. Air National Guard pilot and a crew member pleaded guilty Friday to using military flights to smuggle millions of dollars worth of the drug Ecstasy into the United States, federal authorities said.

Capt. Franklin Rodriguez and Master Sgt. John Fong pleaded guilty in U.S. District Court in Manhattan to smuggling more than 200,000 Ecstasy pills in April 2005 on a flight from Germany to a National Guard Base in Newburgh, N.Y., the U.S. attorney’s office said.
myslumberingheart89

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 11:00 pm
PostPost subject:

I don't have the actual article cause it was a radio program that I heared it.
But about a year ago I was listening to a local radio station when they said a man was arrested earlier, being found underneath a femal porta-potty. Apparently a woman went to go use it, only to look down and find eyes staring back up at her. Apparently he had been down there for 3 days, staring at women from beneath. They had to rush him for the hospital because he was litterally living in shit and piss.

This was probably the most disgusting thing I've ever heared.
Serioulsy, what's wrong with people? Confused
bergenergy
Don't Fuck With
Don't Fuck With

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 12:54 am
PostPost subject:

Quote:
a man was arrested earlier, being found underneath a femal porta-potty. Apparently a woman went to go use it, only to look down and find eyes staring back up at her. Apparently he had been down there for 3 days, staring at women from beneath

I couldn't agree more. This was the strangest and most awe-inducing story I heard last year. Truth is stranger than fiction.
bergenergy
Don't Fuck With
Don't Fuck With

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 2:29 pm
PostPost subject:

It was a one-two encounter between Axl Rose and Tommy Hilfiger. The rocker and designer capped a Thursday evening out at a new club called The Plumm in Manhattan's Chelsea neighborhood with midnight fisticuffs.

"There was an issue between the two of them," Plumm owner Noel Ashman told The Associated Press.

The scuffle reportedly started after the Guns N' Roses front man moved the drink of Hilfiger's girlfriend, Dee Ocleppo.

"I moved his girlfriend's drink so it wouldn't spill," Rose told the Los Angeles radio station KROQ on Friday. "It was the most surreal thing, I think, that's ever happened to me in my life."

According to the 44-year-old singer, Hilfiger, 55, smacked him in the arm and told him to put the drink back.

"He just kept smacking me," Rose said

Somehow, I would have thought it would have been the other way around.
bergenergy
Don't Fuck With
Don't Fuck With

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 5:35 pm
PostPost subject:

Here's an alcohol related 3-fer

Lithuanian police were so astonished by a breath test that registered 18 times the legal alcohol limit, they thought their device must be broken. It wasn't.

and

Oregon legislators and staff members should not be drunk while performing their official duties, a citizen panel says.

The Public Commission on the Oregon Legislature adopted that recommendation Monday, although the panel decided to leave it to House and Senate leaders to draft rules against intoxication and possible penalties.

and

Monkeys and apes in Budapest's Zoo drink their way through 55 litres of red wine each year, albeit in small quantities each day, to help boost their red blood cells, the zoo said Monday.

Burp
RKnet Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 37
Jump to: