rilokiley.net

Welcome Guest: Register | Log in

My Posts | My Messages | My Profile | Search | Memberlist

movie dorks need movie talk.

RKnet Forum Index -> General Discussion Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 46, 47, 48  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pontifikate

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 12:47 am
PostPost subject: movie dorks need movie talk.

have any of you recently (within the last 6 months) been introduced to a movie that you loved? i'm a movie geek and i have seen a few good ones lately, three of which have skyrocketed into my top ten.

01. capote.
02. me and you and everyone we know.
03. cool hand luke.

yes, cool hand luke is old, but i saw it tonight for the first time and loved it, hence the inspiration for this thread. i need to binge on new movies, so please. enlighten me with your current favorites. school is over for me in two weeks and i'll have plenty of time to abuse my freedom pass.
nach heart
Posting Machine
Posting Machine

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 1:07 am
PostPost subject:

It's not like an art house film or anything, but I just recently saw Saved! for the first time and fell IN LOVE with it. I've since bought it and watched it about a million times. It's just so cute and smart and funny and well acted.

Also, I watched The Squid and the Whale not too long ago. I thought it was pretty good albeit a little bizarre.

I really need to see Capote.
mojo shivers
The Shit
The Shit

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 1:23 am
PostPost subject:

I saw Brick last week. That was an excellent film for me--full of suspense and lots of twists, especially for a film supposedly set in high school. It played more like film noir than teen comedy.

Hard Candy, which I wrote a post about already.

Don't Come Knocking, Wim Wenders' latest, while far from a feel-good movie, left me refreshed at what can be done when a script and perfect casting come together.

Those three definitely are movies I've loved that you may not have seen publicized much elsewhere.

california is a recipe for a black hole
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
steeplejake
all-around quality person

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 1:30 am
PostPost subject:

two recent additions to my top ten:
primer (in my top five)
sweet and lowdown (somewhere 6-10)

primer's a mindblower, like the first time i saw donnie darko, but i think it's better. plus, the whole movie cost about $7000 to make. indie cred!

sweet and lowdown is about a fictional jazz guitarist played by sean penn, and he's one of the best characters ever. the story is really funny/moving, too.
that i cannot sleep away
Aweso

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 10:53 pm
PostPost subject:

Once again, this movie is pretty awesome. It's more like a big music video with a great beginning and ending. This is definitely the most stylish movie of the last 5 years. Great soundtrack and very funny. Highly Recommended.

SURVIVE STYLE 5+

DainGoding
Cool Kid
Cool Kid

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 11:14 pm
PostPost subject: Re: movie dorks need movie talk.

pontifikate wrote:
have any of you recently (within the last 6 months) been introduced to a movie that you loved? i'm a movie geek and i have seen a few good ones lately, three of which have skyrocketed into my top ten.

i need to binge on new movies, so please. enlighten me with your current favorites. school is over for me in two weeks and i'll have plenty of time to abuse my freedom pass.

Now I have a reason to be your friend other than how cute your avatar picture is!

I'm going to N.Y.U. in the fall for Cinema Studies (not their film/tv program, but a strictly academic/theory/aesthetic major). It is a movie dork's dream -- one of the lecture classes I get to take is just about Orson Welles, one is called Scandanvian Cinema, as well as the basic Film Theory and Film Aesthetics classes. I've never been more excited for anything in my entire life.

Anyway, I'd love to talk about movies with you for as long as you could spare. AIM me sometime or drop me an email. Until then, I'll give you some recommendations:

steeplejake listed "Sweet & Lowdown". This isn't really one of my favorites, but it leads into my favorites in that it was also directed by Woody Allen. If you haven't, see "Annie Hall", "Manhattan", and "Hannah and her Sisters" at least. Woody Allen is the greatest. This morning i just watched "Small Time Crooks"... the LAST Woody Allen-directed film I had left to watch (out of 36). I've officially seen everything that man has directed now. If you like those three, there are dozens of other Woody films to check out, from serious chamber plays to goofy murder mystery spoofs.

Ones that I've seen recently (last few weeks) that I've liked very much:
Hopscotch
F for Fake
Charade
Repulsion (which I just saw two nights ago on the big screen at a repertory theater in Manhattan! What an experience!!)
Divorce, Italian Style
The Third Man

Those are all over the place as far as style. As far as my favorite films overall, one is "Seven Samurai", one is "8 1/2", one is "The Shining", one is "Dancer in the Dark"... I love "Amelie" and "Funny Face", because Audrey Tautou and Audrey Hepburn are the two most beautiful precious faces I've ever seen. "Dr. Strangelove" is a favorite, and I love all of Wes Anderson's movies, especially "Tenenbaums".

Ahh this is so hard. Take a look at this list I made sometime a few months ago (http://www.ymdb.com/daingoding/l32821_ukuk.html) and get back to me.

Pontifikate gets cooler after every single post!
yarn and glue
we do, we do

Last edited by DainGoding on Sat Apr 29, 2006 11:36 am; edited 1 time in total
ironlionironcurtain

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 1:15 am
PostPost subject:

I-man like kung fu(but not wuxia pien) strictly golden period.

You should see;

36th Chamber of Shaolin
Prodigal Son
Shaolin Chastity Kung Fu
5 Deadly Venoms
Kid With The Golden Arms
Knockabout
Let Jah be praised
pontifikate

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 3:20 pm
PostPost subject:

daingoding - i have not seen most of those! i am disheartened on one hand, but on the other, it gives me a good list to knock off over the summer. i have only seen a few woody allen's - most recently 'melinda and melida' and 'match point.'

i am quite psyched you're a film nerd as well. are you going to tribeca at all since you will be at nyu come fall?
Malomakaio
Posting Machine
Posting Machine

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 1:25 am
PostPost subject:

has anyone seen "Oldboy?" that movie is messed up. I think it's korean...
yersh

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 4:07 am
PostPost subject:

Malomakaio wrote:
has anyone seen "Oldboy?" that movie is messed up. I think it's korean...

I own that one. It is Korean. It's actually the second part in a trilogy (in theme, not characters), the last of which (Lady Vengance) is in limited US release as we speak.

As for other new (2005) movies, the only ones I'd want to own were Grizzly Man and The Constant Gardener. There are still a few I haven't seen with potential though (Junebug, Squid&the Whale, Munich, Mysterious Skin, Match Point...)

As for older movies I just got in to, Double Indemnity probably tops that list. Dancer in the Dark too. Singin in the Rain really impressed me as well. And 21 Grams....that movie kicked my ass. So did About Schmidt. I'm not a movie crier by any means, but those two did it for me in the best way possible.

Dain: I just recently heard of F for Fake, and I think it's number 370 or something on the Netflix queue. The Thin Man too. I have realized that the more movies I see, the bigger the Netflix queue gets. It never ends. Hmm...
Nobody Loves You
Cool Kid
Cool Kid

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 9:33 pm
PostPost subject:

Cheers to Woody Allen! I watched Matchpoint yesterday and Bullets Over Broadway last week. But those aren't my recommendations.

You've probably already seen it and despite Vincent Gallo's creepiness, I really liked Buffalo '66.

I watched Dog Day Afternoon about a week ago and really liked it.
Almost anything by the Coen brothers. I love them. The Big Lebowski is my favorite, but Fargo and Raising Arizona are close. And yeah, pretty much all the others except the more recent ones like Ladykillers and Intolerable Cruelty and yeah.

And I think my favorite movie, no matter what, will always be Dick. It's so stupid but I love it.

I'm a huge film geek but most people say it doesn't count 'cause I'm so young. Fuck those people. :wink:

Edit: Junebug and Mysterious Skin were excellent!
headpin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 9:42 pm
PostPost subject:

I didn't like Oldboy much. I didn't find it shocking nor did I think the payoff lived up to it's premise/first act. It's nice to see a modern take on an old story but I didn't take to it as much as I wanted to.

I recently saw The Piano Teacher for the first time and thought it was fantastic.

Capote & Me and You and Everyone We Know are pretty much my top 2 films of 2005 too
DainGoding
Cool Kid
Cool Kid

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 10:53 pm
PostPost subject:

pontifikate wrote:
daingoding - i have not seen most of those! i am disheartened on one hand, but on the other, it gives me a good list to knock off over the summer. i have only seen a few woody allen's - most recently 'melinda and melida' and 'match point.'

i am quite psyched you're a film nerd as well. are you going to tribeca at all since you will be at nyu come fall?

Melinda and Match Point were both mediocre, I thought.

For an immediate recommendation, I think everyone should see Jacques Demy's "Les Parapluies de Cherbourg" ["The Umbrellas of Cherbourg"]... it is an "opera" of sorts because every line of dialogue is sung, there is no actual speaking in it. I don't think you need to be a big fan of musicals to enjoy it though. It's a sad tale set in a small ville in France during the war with Algeria, and the music is gorgeous, and Catherine Deneuve is gorgeous, and the production design is gorgeous... there are so many coordinated colors and costumes and...!! I've listened to the entire hour and a half soundtrack twice this weekend already.

I don't think I'm going to get to Tribeca. I don't live in New York yet and it's so expensive to go back and forth all the time. Next year for sure.

Yersh: move "F for Fake" up a little, it's a wild editing ride. I know what you mean about the Netflix queue. I try to keep mine around 100 and if I add a bunch I try to remove some so it remains manageable.

EDIT: To whet your appetite I'm posting two songs from "Umbrellas of Cherbourg".

Le Garage (Dispute)

Le Gare (Guy s'en va)
yarn and glue
we do, we do
ohvelveteen
Cool Kid
Cool Kid

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 6:07 pm
PostPost subject:

Okay, well, before I go off about my favorites I need to respond/rant to everyone else. Because I'm crazy and obsessive like that.

pontifikate - I LOVED CAPOTE. SO MUCH. Hoffman is my GOD. I thought that was the most amazingly well-acted movie...
nach heart - Saved! is so so good. I bought it a while ago and watched it with my boyfriend last weekend, and surprisingly, he really enjoyed it. And the Squid & the Whale is one of my favorite movies (even though I haven't seen it since it was in theatres).
mojo shivers - I really, really want to see Brick! Glad to hear that it's good. And I didn't see your post on Hard Candy, which I'm also interested in, so I'll have to go check it out.
DainGoding - Holy shit, that sounds like the most amazing thing ever. I'm so jealous...that's so great. You'll love it, I'm sure. I'm planning on visiting NYU this summer, and part of the reason I'm so interested in it is for their Cinema Studies program.
Nobody Loves You - I can relate on the being-too-young-to-be-a-film-geek thing. I'm getting there, though; I'm definitely making progress.

That's all I have to say about those. My recent list of favorites (that haven't been mentioned so far):
Swingers (not new, I know, but I just watched it again recently and I still think it's great.)
Clerks (ah, it's the classic indie favorite, I know, but I love me some Kevin Smith)
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (I don't care if he's pretentious or self-aware or tries too hard, I still think Charlie Kaufman is a genius)
ANYTHING WES ANDERSON (but especially the Royal Tenenbaums because it is one of the few movies that can make me cry. The blue scene...in the bathroom...ah, fuck, it's so well-done)
Lost in Translation & the Virgin Suicides (so excited for Marie Antoinette!)
Reality Bites (another one of the few movies that can make me cry. But for a very different reason. The other one is because it's a great film, this is because...i'm a girl.)
Requiem for a Dream
High Fidelity (it barely even counts as a favorite anymore because it's been one for so long, you know?)
Mysterious Skin
Before Sunrise

That's enough, probably. I love movies way too much. So, yeah, there's my list...alright.
When the sun burst through the sky

I bet you can guess where this link goes.
caterpillars

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 6:16 pm
PostPost subject:

i have tons of love and respect for miranda july but me and you and everyone we know just came off as being a bit of a pretentious film

it seemed to try too hard to be outside of the indie film box, and artsy....and a lot of times just came off as weird. i enjoyed the movie but ehh, it just didn't do it for me.

movies you should see (or maybe have seen):
- y tu mama tambien (soo good. love the subtitle work)
- amelie (again, amazing subtitles)
- maria full of grace (this one just generates a lot of deep thinking in a less pretentious manner)
- ghost world. (mmyyy hands down favorite movie next to ESOTSM but i'm sure you've watched that one already)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
cherryghost

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 6:39 pm
PostPost subject:

you know, lately my sister and i have been talking about seeing all the movies in the criterion collection. i just saw divorce, italian style too (someone mentioned it earlier) and really liked that...and i know i'm extremely late on seeing/enjoying this movie, but i've become obsessed with fight club. now i'm in search of a copy of dr. strangelove but every freaking rental place i go to doesn't seem to have it...
DainGoding
Cool Kid
Cool Kid

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 7:43 pm
PostPost subject:

cherryghost wrote:
you know, lately my sister and i have been talking about seeing all the movies in the criterion collection. i just saw divorce, italian style too (someone mentioned it earlier) and really liked that...and i know i'm extremely late on seeing/enjoying this movie, but i've become obsessed with fight club. now i'm in search of a copy of dr. strangelove but every freaking rental place i go to doesn't seem to have it...

I've had that as my goal for months. That is, to gradually watch every film ever released in the Criterion Collection. It's so hard though -- even if I had access to all of them they release new ones every Tuesday. But I sympathize with your desire to want to absorb the whole Criterion Collection at once. I just saw Divorce, Italian Style a few months ago. I saw it for Marcello Mastoianni, but I thought it was only pretty good. See La Dolce Vita and 8 1/2 as soon as possible. BUT FIRST GET YOUR HANDS ON STRANGELOVE! Ahh!

ohvelveteen: You can't not love NYU. The only bad thing about it is you will pay $50,000 a year to go there. They are notoriously skimpy when it comes to financial aid. I got a $10,000 a year scholarship which is a miracle for NYU and that was after an appeals process that I got it that high. So just be ready for a bundle of debt later. I think it's worth it so I'm going for it.

Other than that, you will love love love it. It is in the most beautiful part in the city and has so many amenities and everything... They are proud of a recent survey (last month) in which students listed NYU as their number one dream school, with Harvard in second. It is perfect. Right now I'm wearing an NYU sweatshirt over an NYU t-shirt.

I can't encourage you enough to apply to the Cinema department. THey only accept about 50 new Cinema students a year but the portfolio is easy and I'm sure you will make it. Apply and then be my friend next year!

Lastly, I saw "Squid and the Whale" last night. Unbelievable. One of the best movies I've seen in the last 12 months.
yarn and glue
we do, we do
mattloaf1
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 7:51 pm
PostPost subject:

'Me and You and Everyone We Know' was pretty good, yeah maybe trying a little too hard but i enjoyed watching it.

'The Squid and The Whale' was way, way underappreciated, even though it got Oscar nominated for the screenplay.

'Dr. Strangelove', word, but more importantly, 'Barry Lyndon', '2001', 'A Clockwork Orange' and 'Full Metal Jacket'.
DainGoding
Cool Kid
Cool Kid

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 8:29 pm
PostPost subject:

EDIT ALERT

Strangelove is on Turner Classic Movies at 10 PM Eastern Standard Time tonight (Monday, May first). Everyone with cable can watch it tonight uncut and commercial free!
yarn and glue
we do, we do
caterpillars

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 10:27 pm
PostPost subject:

i was about to say i'd totally be there watching it, but it's already half an hour in and there's nothing i hate more than starting a movie late because i just fret over what i might have missed.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Aweso

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 11:54 pm
PostPost subject:

BEST MOVIE IN THE UNIVERSE OF ALL TIME!

cherryghost

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 6:45 pm
PostPost subject:

DainGoding wrote:
EDIT ALERT

Strangelove is on Turner Classic Movies at 10 PM Eastern Standard Time tonight (Monday, May first). Everyone with cable can watch it tonight uncut and commercial free!

i watched it last night! i missed the first 20 minutes, meaning i still must go and rent it - i can't stand not seeing a movie in its entirety (except for dude, where's my car?), and i'd like to see the bonus features. anyyyway, it was everything i hoped it to be - peter sellers is genius, stanley kubrick is genius...it was all genius
DainGoding
Cool Kid
Cool Kid

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 2:02 am
PostPost subject:

cherryghost wrote:
DainGoding wrote:
EDIT ALERT

i watched it last night! i missed the first 20 minutes, meaning i still must go and rent it - i can't stand not seeing a movie in its entirety (except for dude, where's my car?), and i'd like to see the bonus features. anyyyway, it was everything i hoped it to be - peter sellers is genius, stanley kubrick is genius...it was all genius

MEIN FUHRER!!

I CAN VALK!!!!
yarn and glue
we do, we do
yersh

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 4:24 am
PostPost subject:

DainGoding wrote:

MEIN FUHRER!!

I CAN VALK!!!!

Pie fight!

Hey, it's a movie GEEK board, so I thought I'd go for it.
Heather
Posting Machine
Posting Machine

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 10:06 am
PostPost subject:

headpin wrote:
I recently saw The Piano Teacher for the first time and thought it was fantastic.

Oh, The Piano Teacher! I love that movie. It's so twisted...I especially like the part with the broken glass and the stabbing at the end. So fucking bizarre, but excellent. I love stuff like that. For example, I watched Jean de Florette and Manon des Sources over the weekend, and the scene where Daniel Auteuil sewed Manon's ribbon to his nipple, like, made the whole movie for me (okay, they're really two movies, but are more like one long movie together). Or the broken glass scene (hmm, a theme is emerging) in Cries and Whispers.

And I'm glad that Capote is getting attention on this thread, since I love that movie. PSH was phenomenal. Also, I feel a little proprietary about Capote and the whole In Cold Blood thing because I'm from Kansas. To be specific, Dick Hickock was working (and I think living, but I could be wrong) in Olathe, KS at the time of the murders, which is the next town over from where I live now. Anyone who hasn't read the book absolutely should--it's amazing. And if you're still interested, the Lawrence Journal-World did a good series of articles on the murders, Truman Capote, etc., on the 40th anniversary of the book that was fascinating. Here's a link to it. http://www.ljworld.com/specials/incoldblood/

Last edited by Heather on Mon May 22, 2006 12:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
RKnet Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 48
Jump to: